New Jersey to overhaul uniforms for 2017-2018 season, Part 4: and Gnashing of Teeth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
So how big was the backlash to the uniforms? Is there any way to gauge that? Did the team ever comment on it?

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
So how big was the backlash to the uniforms? Is there any way to gauge that? Did the team ever comment on it?
The team hasn't and won't comment about them unless it's to say, "Hey, get the new Jersey. Honor our past!"

I saw quite a few people during the home opener clustered around the, idk who they are, sales team or Ticket Reps around the concourse asking about the switch.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

I don't think you can measure it per se, but the commentary on social media has been and still is, generally negative when it does pop-up. Only thing I can say in terms of "measuring" it, is when they advertised the new Adidas jersey on the scoreboard during the home opener, there was audible booing from the crowd. I loffed.

Reactions: Its a Trap

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I wasn't at the home game vs Colorado but when they panned the crowd you didn't see many new jerseys. Not like 3-4 in the whole stadium. But some sections didn't seem to have any. Some had a few

I noticed on that Cory commercial advertising a new bank, they're offering a free new Devils jerseys when you open up a checking account. It's not really free a since you need a minimum balance off $50 but it's still kind of weak that they are resorting to this

https://www.myinvestorsbank.com/pages/New_Jersey_Devils_Checking

Jerseys we've maligned like the fisherman and slug or those silly Islander black jersey attempts, I saw a lot more of those when they first came out. Heck the fisherman abomination was everywhere in 1995-1996

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
They haven't been on sale for too long, small inventory online and only now being available at the arena. You will see more and more as tbe season goes on. I will be getting myself a road Addidas soon since I am fond of the new white jersey.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Has anyone else noticed how the hem stripes (for the teams that have them) are all crooked on the backside of the jerseys? The stripes should be straight across but they literally curve downward right below the numbers. I wasn’t a fan of losing the stripes but I’m kind of glad they did now because the striping looks awful, imho. The collars and stripes are real weird quirks of these adidas jerseys.

Reactions: tonniar .rm

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
I wasn't at the home game vs Colorado but when they panned the crowd you didn't see many new jerseys. Not like 3-4 in the whole stadium. But some sections didn't seem to have any. Some had a few

I noticed on that Cory commercial advertising a new bank, they're offering a free new Devils jerseys when you open up a checking account. It's not really free a since you need a minimum balance off $50 but it's still kind of weak that they are resorting to this

https://www.myinvestorsbank.com/pages/New_Jersey_Devils_Checking

Jerseys we've maligned like the fisherman and slug or those silly Islander black jersey attempts, I saw a lot more of those when they first came out. Heck the fisherman abomination was everywhere in 1995-1996

$50 minimum to open an account PLUS re-occurring $500 per month direct deposit. Doesn't specify how long you need to keep the direct deposit going. No thanks.

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
Has anyone else noticed how the hem stripes (for the teams that have them) are all crooked on the backside of the jerseys? The stripes should be straight across but they literally curve downward right below the numbers. I wasn’t a fan of losing the stripes but I’m kind of glad they did now because the striping looks awful, imho. The collars and stripes are real weird quirks of these adidas jerseys.

i hadnt noticed that but watching games this season has me in envy of teams who still have stripes. these devils jerseys are just too 'meh'. i wont be buying one...... ever. unless we get stripes back of course. maybe they are trying to cut costs so they can pay for that fancy new tron. ;)

Reactions: BenedictGomez

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
these devils jerseys are just too 'meh'. i wont be buying one...... ever. unless we get stripes back of course.

Adidas has a 7 year deal, so it will change back to the old Devils jerseys in probably 3 years, maybe 4 years.

They'll say they did it based on "feedback" and "history", but really it's the fact that these new jerseys are ugly and people hate them, which is true, but more importantly, they'll do it once they see "sucker sales velocity" has decreased and all the people who were going to buy one of these has already done so.

That's the only reason we have "changes" this season to begin with.

The new company (Adidas) needs to change the jerseys to try to get suckers to buy them. If they dont do that, then they have an expensive "exclusive" 7 year NHL jersey contract and haven't provided an impetus for people to buy something "new" rather just wear their Reebok jersey to the game. Same reason AAPL releases iPhone models that are barely better (or sometimes not), they know a certain segment of society will run out and buy the new thing, but essentially, it's just a con.

Reactions: AveryQuietMan

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Fast forward a few years...

"As a nod to franchise history, the inside collar will feature all cup years emblazoned with red 60-grit sandpaper intended to 'rub you the wrong way' in order to commemorate the initial 2017 redesign."

If things keep trending upward and they ever put out a nice redesign they can call it the AdiShero.

Sorry but it just cracks me up that they used the word 'zero' as part of a branding scheme where there's a chance that, oh I don't know, fans might not like their team's newly redesigned jersey? :laugh:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
The player T-shirts run really big.

I ended up buying a shirt with NEW JERSEY written on the front and the Devils logo on the sleeve.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Bought a white authentic Hischier. I love it.
What do the numbers look like on them up close? I was thinking about buying a white jersey and putting Severson on it but some jerseys now have weird perforated numbers and I cannot tell from the TV angles if the Adidas NJ jerseys have that.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
After sitting close LL tonight and getting plenty of eyefull of the new jerseys, are these things built cheaper than the Reebok jerseys?

I could literally see right through the Capital's white jerseys tonight to see the color (if it wasnt white) of the various stuff they were wearing underneath. That, and I could clearly make out their fight straps since it presses against the fabric. It just looks really low-quality compared to any other jersey (Reebok, Koho, CCM, Bauer, etc...) I've ever seen in my life.

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
What do the numbers look like on them up close? I was thinking about buying a white jersey and putting Severson on it but some jerseys now have weird perforated numbers and I cannot tell from the TV angles if the Adidas NJ jerseys have that.
The numbers look good to me. This is the authentic, not the knockoff.

IMG_4238.jpg

IMG_4239.jpg

Last edited:

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
After sitting close LL tonight and getting plenty of eyefull of the new jerseys, are these things built cheaper than the Reebok jerseys?

I could literally see right through the Capital's white jerseys tonight to see the color (if it wasnt white) of the various stuff they were wearing underneath. That, and I could clearly make out their fight straps since it presses against the fabric. It just looks really low-quality compared to any other jersey (Reebok, Koho, CCM, Bauer, etc...) I've ever seen in my life.
I wouldn't call it low quality per se, the material 'breathes' better, thats why the players love it. As you described you can see the strap in the pic I took above.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
That's what I mean, it looks so thin I can clearly see right through and see the fight strap on your jersey.

EDIT: In fact, I can see right through it and see the reverse '3' in the '13' on the back of the jersey.

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
That's what I mean, it looks so thin I can clearly see right through and see the fight strap on your jersey.

EDIT: In fact, I can see right through it and see the reverse '3' in the '13' on the back of the jersey.
Haha, thankfully that won't be possible once it is worn, unless you have x ray vision. :naughty: I will be repping this at MSG tomorrow. LGD.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Looks sharp. Way better in an in person picture than the stock pictures. I’ll have to pick one up. The white jerseys look a little better with the current set up I think. Thanks :)

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Looks sharp. Way better in an in person picture than the stock pictures. I’ll have to pick one up. The white jerseys look a little better with the current set up I think. Thanks :)
The whites are indeed sharp IMO. I just do not like the reds though. The only red Addidas I will be getting is my free season ticket holder tenure jersey. ;)

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
The whites are indeed sharp IMO. I just do not like the reds though. The only red Addidas I will be getting is my free season ticket holder tenure jersey. ;)
I think if they kept the stripes the way they were regarding width they’d look a little better on the reds. There’s certain color combinations that work better and I thought he thin-wide-thin worked much better. These were actually the first pictures I’ve seen of someone who owns a lettered Adidas though. I live out in Buffalo now and the Sabres store only has blanks on display and no one I know has any jersey of any team yet so this was great. I actually think the Devils are one of the only teams to win with the dollars too. A lot of the jerseys around the league look like they have pilgrim collars.

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I think if they kept the stripes the way they were regarding width they’d look a little better on the reds. There’s certain color combinations that work better and I thought he thin-wide-thin worked much better. These were actually the first pictures I’ve seen of someone who owns a lettered Adidas though. I live out in Buffalo now and the Sabres store only has blanks on display and no one I know has any jersey of any team yet so this was great. I actually think the Devils are one of the only teams to win with the dollars too. A lot of the jerseys around the league look like they have pilgrim collars.
Many collars around the league are indeed trash. The Habs and Hawks are AWFUL.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Looks like the fonts for the names and numbers are one area that remained totally unchanged, right? I haven't peeped a customized one up close yet.

By the way, all kidding and personal tastes aside, I'm glad a bunch of yall are enjoying the new unis. In the end we all root for the same team.

Reactions: tonniar .rm
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad