New jersey released

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I watch the NBA as much as the NHL and I don't even notice the ads anymore. It was only for the first couple weeks when they were being introduced that something looked different. The concern is that the initial small logo will turn into something bigger or multiple logos and at some point it probably will but right now it's a non-issue for me.
Big time. The only time I actually notice the ads on jerseys is when the camera is up close on players shooting free throws. However, agreed that I worry it will morph into something a lot bigger.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Basketball jerseys are not the same as hockey jerseys, or even football jerseys. There's literally and figuratively not much "canvas" to do much. Apart from a team/city/school name and the number there's not much more you can do to it. There were some real attempts at some radical redesigns in the 90s (Pistons, Sonics, Rockets) that showed just how limited you are with basketball uniforms. The only really out-there uniform design that ever worked was the Nuggets Skyline. So really IMO putting an ad on something that for the most part is pretty blah doesn't make much difference. Same goes for football jerseys which are little more than numbers on the front back and sleeves. Hockey is different. I AM going to notice an ad on the Avs jersey. The ones I see on AHL sweaters already bother the shit out of me (that obnoxious Wells Fargo square on the Rampage's jerseys was super-lame) but again, it's inevitable. Hope they just don't turn into what we see in the Euro leagues where guys are running around looking like race cars covered in decals.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Oh and the NBA ads are VERY noticeable on the classics (Celtics, Lakers). I haven't really cared about the ones on the Nuggets jerseys this last season but only because it's the 2nd worst uniform design they've ever worn.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Ads are coming, so I've made my peace with them, so long as they remain relatively unobtrusive, tasteful and limited. That said, I will never buy a sweater with advertising on it. If I'm going to pay the ridiculous prices for a sports jersey, I'm certainly not going to be paying for the privilege of advertising a sponsor on top of the team.

As for the thirds, I'd be more than fine with them being what they were last season, but seeing as how popular those were and how many people already bought one (even I did, and I'm cheap!), I just assume they'll go for something new. Hopefully in the same vein, though. Ride that popularity but change it up just enough to get people to want one.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm pretty ignorant about the business world, but it really is insane to me that putting some logo on a jersey can be worth millions of dollars. Seeing a Starbucks logo on a bench doesn't make me want to go get a coffee.

I'll admit that every once and a while one of the board advertisements works on me. However it's usually for a place that I don't have around me currently that I miss lol.

arun

Click here to hide this advertisement
Jun 23, 2016
Holland
Nordiques color scheme jerseys (but a tad darker blue) with that C triangle thing crest, mix it with some grey mountain lines

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I am assuming we'll be seeing at least two number switches from last season--Girard going back to 94 and Kerfoot snatching up Comeau's old #14.

There is a distinct possibility JTC switches as well. Just as #18 is the cursed number, Avs players can't seem to wait to get rid of #37.

Man, if he switched to 87...

Cole wore 23 for STL and CBJ, and 28 for PIT. Grubauer wore 31 for WSH, and Calvert wore 11 for the Jax. That number hasn't been seen since McGinn wore it last in 2015.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
I am assuming we'll be seeing at least two number switches from last season--Girard going back to 94 and Kerfoot snatching up Comeau's old #14.

There is a distinct possibility JTC switches as well. Just as #18 is the cursed number, Avs players can't seem to wait to get rid of #37.

Cole wore 23 for STL and CBJ, and 28 for PIT. Grubauer wore 31 for WSH, and Calvert wore 11 for the Jax. That number hasn't been seen since McGinn wore it last in 2015.

Here I am thinking, oh Girard must have been born in 1994 (wanting the number 94)... But nope! He was born in 1998.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017

I wonder if JTC can convince Alt to give him #7. I just tried to look it up and I think it's easier to list the numbers that Alt *hasn't* worn as a hockey player.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I would love to see a really good player wear #7 for the Avs. It was my number growing up (wore it in honor of my sports idol John Elway) and so far only fringe/marginal players have worn it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I would love to see a really good player wear #7 for the Avs. It was my number growing up (wore it in honor of my sports idol John Elway) and so far only fringe/marginal players have worn it.

How dare you!

avalanche-greg-de-vries-plows-into-devils-turner-stevenson-early-in-picture-id161009368

1310892729926_ORIGINAL.jpg

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
So glad the Avs don't have a stupid "low numbers only" policy. Don't know why Lamoriello insists on stuff like that.
Because these numbers are terrible and ugly and the assortment of nineties children in the league wearing them are all wrong.

And before you try to argue otherwise, none of them wear #95 or #98. Why? Because they're ugly.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
But I like ugly numbers because they're unique. The AVs have never had a player wear the following: 49, 50, 56, 64 - 70, 72 - 76, 78 - 80, 82, 84 - 86, 91, 93, 95, or 98.

Would love to see a kid take take an "ugly" number like 72 (will always remind me of William "the Refrigerator" Perry) and absolutely make it a beautiful Avalanche jersey through their play. I'm a big believer that skill combined with personality can make any jersey number likable.

Reactions: MarkT

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Because these numbers are terrible and ugly and the assortment of nineties children in the league wearing them are all wrong.

And before you try to argue otherwise, none of them wear #95 or #98. Why? Because they're ugly.

Yes, yes, I know "football" numbers on hockey jerseys look weird (not ugly, just unusual) but it's not the end of the world if kids want to wear them. With older teams retiring numbers (especially the Habs and Leafs) there's not much of a choice. It's just a silly policy to have. I guarantee you anyone in Edmonton uncomfortable with Connor McDavid wearing 97 got over it real quick.

And Duchene would happily ditch 95 if the one-armed bandit currently wearing his real number would get traded already.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
#94 for Girard would be cool.

#9 is too popular to stay unclaimed for too long. I’ll always be a Duchene fan but he doesn’t get that kind of respect.

Reactions: Murzu

MildAvaholic

Jan 7, 2007
Houston, Texas
But I like ugly numbers because they're unique. The AVs have never had a player wear the following: 49, 50, 56, 64 - 70, 72 - 76, 78 - 80, 82, 84 - 86, 91, 93, 95, or 98.

Would love to see a kid take take an "ugly" number like 72 (will always remind me of William "the Refrigerator" Perry) and absolutely make it a beautiful Avalanche jersey through their play. I'm a big believer that skill combined with personality can make any jersey number likable.

Colorado Avalanche Sweater Numbers | Hockey-Reference.com
According to this site, some of the #'s you have listed have been worn by Avalanche players. Such as Girard #49, Brian Wiltsie #50, Kamenev #91. But I totally get your idea of "owning" a number and making it your own.

Reactions: expatriated_texan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Colorado Avalanche Sweater Numbers | Hockey-Reference.com
According to this site, some of the #'s you have listed have been worn by Avalanche players. Such as Girard #49, Brian Wiltsie #50, Kamenev #91. But I totally get your idea of "owning" a number and making it your own.

Good catch!

Holy crap....I should've remembered Girard and Kamenev when I typed out those lists. I actually went off of AvalancheDB's site...guess it hasn't been updated in a bit. And they only had Willsie as #18, guess they even forgot he was #50 for a bit. *LOL*

Reactions: MildAvaholic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad