New Jersey Devils to draft #17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
But I'll assume all those NHL RFA's are back.

And we will need to ice an AHL team so if those guys aren't brought back, other guys will.

And the concern is really not for next year, as it's very possible that none of this years draftees will get contracts. But 2-3 years down the road, when all the 16 and 17 draftees are signed when it becomes an issue.

which is why I am not all that upset that we have a few less picks this year. You can't realistically keep picking 10 times per year. Eventually, it catches up with you

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
which is why I am not all that upset that we have a few less picks this year. You can't realistically keep picking 10 times per year. Eventually, it catches up with you
Ya, I feel Shero has said something about it too. May have played into the decision to go aggressive at the deadline.

Also makes me think we are less likely to trade down this year. Quality over quantity year.

Zelmo

Jun 18, 2012
Woodstock, GA
Thanks for all the info Steven. I always love reading about prospects. Guy I wanted was Hughes but we're not close to getting him. Miller is a really interesting player. It'll be fun to see where he ends up (hope with us if he's as good as you think).

Reactions: nugg

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks for all the info Steven. I always love reading about prospects. Guy I wanted was Hughes but we're not close to getting him. Miller is a really interesting player. It'll be fun to see where he ends up (hope with us if he's as good as you think).

We unfortunately have no chance at Hughes. I think the best case scenario for the Devils is if Ty Smith somehow falls into the mid-teens -- he's a perfect fit for the Devils up-tempo, speed-based, high hockey IQ system. But Miller is indeed a prospect I am extremely high on.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
We unfortunately have no chance at Hughes. I think the best case scenario for the Devils is if Ty Smith somehow falls into the mid-teens -- he's a perfect fit for the Devils up-tempo, speed-based, high hockey IQ system. But Miller is indeed a prospect I am extremely high on.

I talked about Miller around the mid season point, when he was ranked at the end of the 1st round.

The untapped potential is there and I view him as the "Jordan Greenway" of this years draft, meaning a kid that has all the tools but isn't talked about all that much entering the draft. They don't play the same position, I know that, but both players have the athleticism, the size, the speed and a lot of room to grow.

Reactions: nugg and My3Sons

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
TRading up to #5 will probably cost more than we’re comforatble giving up. Probably McLeod Plus our first and then something else.

i would do either one of these to move up and select boqvist, he's going to be good.

zacha, our 2018 1st round pick and both 2019 3rd round picks (assuming the ducks re-sign rico)

zacha, our 2018 1st round pick, our 2019 second round pick and our 2019 3rd round pick

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
i would do either one of these to move up and select boqvist, he's going to be good.

zacha, our 2018 1st round pick and both 2019 3rd round picks (assuming the ducks re-sign rico)

zacha, our 2018 1st round pick, our 2019 second round pick and our 2019 3rd round pick

I've said this before and I will say it again. If the Devils DID trade up (which is very unlikely) into the top 10, the likely target would not be Boqvist but rather Jack Hughes. Hughes is a LHD which is a bigger organizational need than RHD which Boqvist plays, and Shero/Castron covet speed. While Boqvist is an excellent skater, Hughes is far and away the best skater in the 2018 draft.

The most likely trade up scenario I can see for the Devils, however, involves neither of these two players. The cost would be too high to move into the top 7 to justify taking either Hughes or Boqvist when the Devils would just have to move up two or three spots to get LHD Ty Smith, an extremely fast and smart defense prospect who fits exactly into the Devils blueprint.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I can’t see the Devils trading up, but if they did, would they fill a need or go for BPA? If they moved up to #5 and the top 2 D and F were gone, I’d love to see them grab Wahlstrom.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I've said this before and I will say it again. If the Devils DID trade up (which is very unlikely) into the top 10, the likely target would not be Boqvist but rather Jack Hughes. Hughes is a LHD which is a bigger organizational need than RHD which Boqvist plays, and Shero/Castron covet speed. While Boqvist is an excellent skater, Hughes is far and away the best skater in the 2018 draft.

In case anyone is confused Steve meant Quinn Hughes, not Jack Hughes ;) Jack hughes is a different prospect. I got a bit confused myself reading that lol.

edit: Well it seems they're brothers haha.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
TRading up to #5 will probably cost more than we’re comforatble giving up. Probably McLeod Plus our first and then something else.

I'm not sure if you're kidding, but I easily do that deal. I don't think McLeod+ gets us from #17 to #5. I think it would cost more than that... guys that we wouldn't be willing to trade, like Bratt or Butcher. I don't even think prospects like Walsh or Anderson get it done.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I can’t see the Devils trading up, but if they did, would they fill a need or go for BPA? If they moved up to #5 and the top 2 D and F were gone, I’d love to see them grab Wahlstrom.

I think when teams trade up on draft it's for a specific player. Not an in general BPA.

Now would they trade up for a fwd? I highly doubt it, they would have to value the heck out of guy to do that. Like if they see a guy as a top 3 sitting there at 10.

Given how stocked this draft appears to be with D. And the likelihood of a very good d prospect being there at 17 I'm not sure I see a need to trade up. But as noted above, if there is a guy that they value highly still on the board at a pick where trading up doesn't cost an arm and a leg, then I could see it.

And to follow off of that idea of this draft being stocked with d, and our need for top end talent on the blue line, I'll be a little upset if we don't pick a d-man in the first.

Reactions: MichaelJ

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I was all hot to trot on D this draft, but the more I look at it, the more I think I wouldn't mind a center or RW. In my old age I've come to realize BPA really IS the best policy, like if we had selected Provorov instead of Zacha, etc.

We have a few glaring holes right now, and while LD is the biggest, we REALLY need to assemble a viable 2nd scoring line. We can't count on Hall carrying the team like he did this year. I'm just not sure it's possible.

D also takes a years to develop, and there's a couple D that may possibly be available I think would be an immediate upgrade - OEL, Brodin in Edmonton, and DeHaan as a UFA are the ones that immediately come to mind.

Our second biggest hole is at 2C - I like him, but Zacha just isn't cutting it. It wouldn't kill me to see us draft a C. I wouldn't have a coronary if we drafted a RW either. Bratt can eventually switch back to LW, especially if MarJo dissapoints and we don't re-sign him.

Even a RD wouldn't be horrible since we've loaded up on LD prospects in a shotgun approach to find a diamond in the rough, but we don't seem to have a ton of viable RD in the pipeline. While I'm comfortable with Vats - Severson - Santini - Lovejoy for now, after we dump Lovejoy there's really no-one else to cover for injuries other than Butcher playing on his off-side. We got lucky this year with injuries on D. Traditionally we go through 9 or 10 D in a season, and it could have gotten pretty ugly on the right.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm going to pass on DeHaan. Only twice in his career has he played over 70 games. Only once has he played a full 82, and his #'s were not impressive.

We need a #1, he is not that.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I'm going to pass on DeHaan. Only twice in his career has he played over 70 games. Only once has he played a full 82, and his #'s were not impressive.

We need a #1, he is not that.
Yeah, I view him as an upgrade for Moore, but I was hoping to hear more takes on him here, since I didn't really pay attention to him before the last couple years (and this one was cut short). The injury history is definitely scary.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
It's inexcusable for us not to have any picks after 17th to all the way to over 100th.

I would be very surprised if Shero doesn't end up recouping some of those picks for roster players.

Kinkaid is one opportunity. If Shero wants to improve the scoring, I could see him dealing one of Wood, Coleman, or Noesen to try to open up a spot for a younger guy while adding a top-six forward via free agency. Severson is another option here, but I don't think dealing him for picks would make any sense unless it's an offer they can't refuse.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
We're stacked with middle six forward prospects and bottom four defensive prospects. How many more Andersons, Seneys, Studenics, Walshs, McLeods and Sissionss do we need?
We're stacked with defense. How many more Merrills, Scarletts, Urboms, and Gelinas do we need?

Devils HF: Shero/Castron are excellent drafters! Even in the late rounds!
Also Devils HF: Oh who cares! We only gave up Rykov and a 2nd for Grabner!

Oh, and the Devs just got dominated by a 58th overall pick...

To be clear, I'm not saying the Vats trade wasn't worth moving picks or anything like that. Or even the Maroon one. Simply saying it's silly to give posters grief for being unhappy with only having 1 pick in the first 3 rounds.

Reactions: MichaelJ

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Everyone can stop talking about trading Mikey. Shero went out of his way to get him and fits what Shero is trying to build. Also we really are lacking center depth here.

I know we need d help badly but if a forward falls like how brazal falls do you snatch that forward or stick with a d? I say give me the best player not need

Reactions: Darkauron
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad