New Jersey Devils to draft #17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Curious to see what kind of defenseman Dahlin really becomes. He'll be playing half the game in his own zone with no help.

If he's Erik Karlsson-lite, that's not what Buffalo needs, crazy as it sounds. But his fanboys seem to think he truly is that well-rounded of a player. I have nearly no viewings of him so I'm not sure what kind of player he is.

Reactions: OmNomNom

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Curious to see what kind of defenseman Dahlin really becomes. He'll be playing half the game in his own zone with no help.

If he's Erik Karlsson-lite, that's not what Buffalo needs, crazy as it sounds. But his fanboys seem to think he truly is that well-rounded of a player. I have nearly no viewings of him so I'm not sure what kind of player he is.

He is really good on offense definitely karlsson lite...but his D is pretty lacking imo

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey

even if he was projected to Erik Karlsson-lite Buffalo would need him. Their current LHD are Scandella, Antipin, Bealieu, Falk, and Gorges.

Only Scandella of those should be in the top 4.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I kinda like Scandella. Not as a #1 though.
yeah him and Dahlin should be part of a better top 4 next season than whatever they were running this year. Even if it takes Dahlin a bit to get accustomed to the NHL game he's still going to be their best option going forward

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Meh, glad Carolina didn't win. Dahlin is a step above the rest, Zadina and Svechnikov are good players but I'm fine with them getting either. Tough division remains tough, just need to keep improving ourselves.

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
Apparently this k’andre miller guy has been playing really good as of late. He’s a defencman and is projected to go around where we pick. Does anyone have a quick scouting report on him?

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Apparently this k’andre miller guy has been playing really good as of late. He’s a defencman and is projected to go around where we pick. Does anyone have a quick scouting report on him?

Umm... if you go back to the first post of this thread...

17 New Jersey Devils LD K'Andre Miller I've made this pick for the Devils before and I'm sticking with it. Miller is perhaps the most physical D in this draft -- at 6'3-210 he lays down bone-crushing hits and is easily the most intimidating D in the USHL. He is also unbelievably smart and extremely fast -- his athleticism is off the charts. Though pretty much every NHL pundit is sold on Dahlin's potential as far and away the best of any defenseman in the class of 2018, it would not shock me if Miller wound up being the second best. He was a forward until a few seasons ago and is still learning the position, but his improvement has been simply remarkable to watch. Many would say I have K'Andre too high here, but they said the same thing when I had Mat Barzal to the Devils at #6 a few years back, so I'm just saying.

Steven's written a lot more on him in the first couple pages of this tread too.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
@devilsfan35 :

Also, from the draft thread (http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2018-nhl-draft-part-i.2364153/):

17 New Jersey Devils LD K. Miller: First off, I'd like to say that I am a proponent of drafting the "best available player". That being said, this draft is heavy on defensemen, and the Devils are very stocked at F after two great drafts and needing badly of young top-tier defensemen. Second off, I'd like to say that when mock drafting for the Devils, I was sorely disappointed that upon realizing the top candidates were Bode Wilde, K'Andre Miller and Jett Woo, that I did not make any of those names up. Why did I go with Miller? Well, although I would love Wilde, I think he will be off the board here. I was split between Miller and Woo, both terrific prospects, but I think Miller has higher upside. He's huge, he's strong and physical, his shot is an absolute cannon-blast, and the kinks in his game are all erasable. What do I mean by that? Well, K'Andre just switched from F to D two seasons back and, although he plays very smart, he is still learning the positioning aspect. And, though he generates very good speed, his edge work still needs refining. I think it is very possible that Shero would go with Woo here, since Woo can fly and Shero loves the speed guys. But Miller would give us a possible diamond in the rough, a sick athlete with all-star upside at an organizational need.

Check out the last page of that thread for even more info.

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
Who is most likely to be drafted lower than projected come draft day? It would be really cool to see someone like Hughes, smith or Wilde fall to 17 sort of like liljegren did last year for Toronto

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Who is most likely to be drafted lower than projected come draft day? It would be really cool to see someone like Hughes, smith or Wilde fall to 17 sort of like liljegren did last year for Toronto
Oh I'd LOVE for Smith to drop. He seems like the perfect fit. I wonder who we can trade up with to increase our odds of snagging him.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
this is the reason why k'andre miller is supposed to drop, right?
If switching from wing to D a couple years ago is considered a question about his defensive play, yes. The guy's on the rise though.

@StevenToddIves really me got me going on this guy to the point that I'm gonna be pretty disapointed if we don't get either Miller or Ty Smith.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
If switching from wing to D a couple years ago is considered a question about his defensive play, yes. The guy's on the rise though.

@StevenToddIves really me got me going on this guy to the point that I'm gonna be pretty disapointed if we don't get either Miller or Ty Smith.

Yup, I saw some highlights of Miller and he's fun to watch. Would love to draft him.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I like Ty Smith but I don't think he'd last all the way to the Devils pick. Bokk and Kupari are intriguing to me just because of their playstyles. And Bokk's production in the swedish J20 league is impressive and even more so considering that was his first year in Sweden.

And who knows maybe those guys go lower than they should because of when they played in the pro leagues they didn't get much time (although the reverse could be true too).

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
This thread seems to have taken the place of the Draft Thread. Perhaps it should be merged in?

Also... HOW many more months till the draft???? *sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->