GDT: New Japan/Stardom Thread - Life Post-Okada

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Ospreay/Okada will be NJPW’s first cage match in 20 years.

Reactions: CDJ

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Just watched WK. Excellent event!

Bryan/Okada was my MOTN, but Shingo/Tama overdelivered, the 3 way was fun, and the Jr. title match was as well with a shocking result.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
ZSJ/Bryan II is gonna be February 11th at New Beginning in Osaka. Same show with the 5v5 steel cage match which will be Ospreay's last.

Reactions: Fro

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Ospreay and Okada leave back to back. Jay White last year. ELP's contract expires in a matter of days. The War Dogs apparently have their deals coming up too. Also makes me wonder if time is ticking on ZSJ.

NJPW has a big hill to climb.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Ospreay and Okada leave back to back. Jay White last year. ELP's contract expires in a matter of days. The War Dogs apparently have their deals coming up too. Also makes me wonder if time is ticking on ZSJ.

I need ELP in Bullet Club Gold, especially with Juice out for a while.

Tama Tonga is leaving too. He's been there forever as a good hand moving up and down the card. I'm not sure Jack Perry or Nemeth move the needle much either, especially Perry.

I'm guess Umino is in line for a huge push and gets the belt either at Dominion or WK.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clint Eastwood

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Kevin Kelly was on WOL and gave some thoughts on the state of NJPW/Okada

• Knows Okada wasn’t a fan of Harold Meij (nor was anyone)
  • The big names may look at this and consider leaving as well
  • The Japanese yen is very weak and is likely a big reason Okada is leaving.
  • Doesn’t think there are any Japanese wrestlers NJPW can bring in to make a difference, even Nakajima. “Promote from within”
  • Says “the last guy” was the reason there were 4 G1 blocks, including one with just young guys. G1 “doesn’t need a catchphrase” like born in the ring (I kinda liked that tbh..)
  • G1 should be cut down. Remove KENTA (“he doesn’t have it anymore), Goto, Yoshi-Hashi
  • Hiromu should be moved up into heavyweight, don’t listen to the dinosaurs saying otherwise. Same with El Desperado
  • Hiromu should win the New Japan Cup. Why not?
  • El Desparado should win BOSJ and go into G1.
  • G1 needs big AEW stars, not just “names”
  • “There is no money in Master Wato”
  • WWE has fans in Japan but New Japan has life long supporters, brand ambassadors
  • Gabe Kidd is great but needs to cut down on the bad language. “90% there”.
  • David Finlay is a great Bullet Club leader, he gets genuine boos in Japan. Western fans see him as Jay White Jr, Japanese fans do not.
  • Tama firing story and not defending the title was stupid
  • House of Torture is bad, stop that. Gets boos, but not the good ones
  • Tony Khan loves Daniel Garcia and will do everything to keep him.

I'm not going to act like i'm a huge NJPW fan but the thing that sticks out to me is i've always at least heard of the guy who was the "next one"

Feels like to me NJPW didn't bother needing to promote a successor/new draw until they realized "oh shit we probably should have done that sooner eh?"

Reactions: Peter Sidorkiewicz

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Kevin Kelly was on WOL and gave some thoughts on the state of NJPW/Okada

• Knows Okada wasn’t a fan of Harold Meij (nor was anyone)
  • The big names may look at this and consider leaving as well
  • The Japanese yen is very weak and is likely a big reason Okada is leaving.
  • Doesn’t think there are any Japanese wrestlers NJPW can bring in to make a difference, even Nakajima. “Promote from within”
  • Says “the last guy” was the reason there were 4 G1 blocks, including one with just young guys. G1 “doesn’t need a catchphrase” like born in the ring (I kinda liked that tbh..)
  • G1 should be cut down. Remove KENTA (“he doesn’t have it anymore), Goto, Yoshi-Hashi
  • Hiromu should be moved up into heavyweight, don’t listen to the dinosaurs saying otherwise. Same with El Desperado
  • Hiromu should win the New Japan Cup. Why not?
  • El Desparado should win BOSJ and go into G1.
  • G1 needs big AEW stars, not just “names”
  • “There is no money in Master Wato”
  • WWE has fans in Japan but New Japan has life long supporters, brand ambassadors
  • Gabe Kidd is great but needs to cut down on the bad language. “90% there”.
  • David Finlay is a great Bullet Club leader, he gets genuine boos in Japan. Western fans see him as Jay White Jr, Japanese fans do not.
  • Tama firing story and not defending the title was stupid
  • House of Torture is bad, stop that. Gets boos, but not the good ones
  • Tony Khan loves Daniel Garcia and will do everything to keep him.

I'm not going to act like i'm a huge NJPW fan but the thing that sticks out to me is i've always at least heard of the guy who was the "next one"

Feels like to me NJPW didn't bother needing to promote a successor/new draw until they realized "oh shit we probably should have done that sooner eh?"

If I had to guess, I assume they thought Okada would be staying. He's been doing this "f*** them kids" thing where he's been an arrogant, smug asshole who's downplayed the future guys of the company, especially Shota. He also completely emasculated Kiyomiya on his own NOAH show. I think they were gonna give Shota a big win but obviously with Okada leaving now, it won't happen.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
NJPW adding a women’s title match for the first time in what seems like a while.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Bryan/ZSJ is 100% worth a watch. Fantastic match.

Steel Cage match is a stark contrast to the above, but also amazing in its own way. The send off for Ospreay was perfect. Might be one of my favorite wrestling moments in quite some time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Masked

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln