New IIHF agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
nomorekids said:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=131221

Interesting stuff. Basically, if your Euro prospect has a contract in Europe already...it doesn't mean diddly-poo until August 15. Especially pertinent to the Malkin situation. The Pens could hypothetically sign him and bring him over.

A few details and questionmarks. Only a total of 60 players per year can be signed from Europe. Does that mean 2 players per team? Not much if that is the case...

If a team signs a player that doesn't make the NHL their will be a fine. Europe belives that in the past to many players have been signed without any real interest from its NHL club and wants that to stop. Though if its only 2 players per team it could be a problem for some NHL teams.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Ola said:
A few details and questionmarks. Only a total of 60 players per year can be signed from Europe. Does that mean 2 players per team? Not much if that is the case...

If a team signs a player that doesn't make the NHL their will be a fine. Europe belives that in the past to many players have been signed without any real interest from its NHL club and wants that to stop. Though if its only 2 players per team it could be a problem for some NHL teams.
I've not read much, just skimed through. But I think that may be 60 undercontract. It said something about player with out a contract could be sign after the dead line, so I don't think they'll count as far as taking the one of the 60 places. I didn't see anything about the 60 places when I read though.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Most top players in Europe have NHL-clauses in their contracts so this is nothing new.

Usually the deadline is july 15th but this year it's one month later.

Business as usual.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
Ola said:
Actually there haven´t been that many players in past years as one could think, I found this on IIHF.com:

A breakdown of the signings during the three-year period (2001-2003):

2001-2002: 73 players
2002-2003: 60 players
2003-2004: 52 players (number still to be confirmed by IIHF and NHL)
--------------
Total: 185 players

http://www.iihf.com/news/iihfpr4003.htm

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
Pepper said:
Most top players in Europe have NHL-clauses in their contracts so this is nothing new.

Usually the deadline is july 15th but this year it's one month later.

Business as usual.
Not for european teams who want to keep their star players instead of losing them 5 weeks before the season starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->