New idea to improve game popularity

Status
Not open for further replies.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
I haven't seen this yet, so I figured that I'd throw it out there.

One of the reasons baseball is so popular is because of it's statistics. Now, stats are easy to compile with baseball. Each at bat is an isolated event, unlike hockey. But, there are still more stats that we could implement into hockey to make the game more interesting.

Hits are the obvious first. The NHL already keeps track of hits, but only released the numbers to internal entities (teams use the stat for scouting and drafting). The hits stat is of course imperfect, but things can be done to make it more perfect (better scorekeepers).

What about other stats? I can't think of any off the top of my head but maybe you guys can.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Dont get me wrong i m all for stats, but i think all meaningful stats are already covered. Ok, adding hits back into public stats would be nice but there arent many more i need. BTW didnt the NHLPA force the NHL to re-introduce certain stats, like blocked shots and hits a while back?
OK, you could add passes (complete and incomplete), puck possesion for every single player and a whole lot more but i dont think it would create more interest.

Baseball was popular before 94 and got back to that level, or close to it (i m not really into MLB) and i m quite positive it has nothing to do with how many stats they track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad