New Idea for Prospects' Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
The Prospects game involves 42 players, put on teams according to no logic and no 'team' concept to play for. It's hard for scouts to accurately observe 42 players over just one game, especially when prospects are paired with players they know nothing about.

So, how about this scenario (are you listening CSB/CHL/NHL?)- Make a prospects team from each of the 3 CHL leagues (WHL, OHL, QMJHL) plus one representing the U.S.. They play 2 semi-final games, then the winners play a final, the losers play for 3rd and 4th. It takes two days. Scouts see each player twice over a four-game span and now, representing their respective leagues/regions, they have something to play for.

Euro imports in the CHL would be eligible to play for their league team. U.S. citizens playing in the CHL would have a choice between their league or country. Canadian players playing in the U.S. (Bertram, Bradford) or Tier 2 (Cogliano) could play for their regional teams. Of course, participation would be strictly limited to players born Sept. 16/85- Sept. 15/87.

What do you think? And who would be on the respective teams?

hardcore_fan

Apr 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I think it's an excellent idea.The format now is just a glorified all-start game.As for who would make up the teams I really have no idea.There are only a couple possible stumbling blocks though, those being the amount of time it would take out of the CHL shedule and being able to fill a US team if the CHL players chose to play for their regular teams.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I would love to see the prospects game be the top 40 players in the world.

Bring over Zubov and Anikeenko, Rask, Laakso, Jack Johnson and all the rest for the top 40 players for the draft. I think that would be something great to watch.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
hardcore_fan said:
I think it's an excellent idea.The format now is just a glorified all-start game.As for who would make up the teams I really have no idea.There are only a couple possible stumbling blocks though, those being the amount of time it would take out of the CHL shedule and being able to fill a US team if the CHL players chose to play for their regular teams.

Well, it would just be ONE extra day out of the CHL schedule. The U.S. team would be no problem even if the CHL-based Americans played for their CHL league's teams. They'd still be very strong in fact- the best of the U18 squad, best of the USHL or ECHL and maybe the odd eligible NCAA player like Tom Fritsche....

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
You're forgetting that this is a game run by the CHL to showcase CHL prospects to the NHL. Why would the CHL invest in showcasing NCAA and other non-CHL players?

It is not a game run by the NHL to scout all prospects, otherwise it would probably be more like what you are proposing.

Regarding the proposal itself, it would be better (although not necessarily as hard-fought) if you put together your 3 CHL teams from the entire CHL pool rather than one team from each league. Your proposal would clearly unduly benefit the league that has the fewest draft propsects in a particular year (QMJHL, I'm looking in your general direction).

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Juan said:
You're forgetting that this is a game run by the CHL to showcase CHL prospects to the NHL. Why would the CHL invest in showcasing NCAA and other non-CHL players?

It is not a game run by the NHL to scout all prospects, otherwise it would probably be more like what you are proposing.

Regarding the proposal itself, it would be better (although not necessarily as hard-fought) if you put together your 3 CHL teams from the entire CHL pool rather than one team from each league. Your proposal would clearly unduly benefit the league that has the fewest draft propsects in a particular year (QMJHL, I'm looking in your general direction).

True regarding the CHL business of course. Perhaps the 4th team could then be made up of non-Canadian CHL prospects.

As for the 'mixing' business, I think it obviates the motivational/meaningful factor of playing for your league. As for the Q, it is arguably the BEST of the 3 leagues in terms of prospects this year, and eveni n lesser years they have proven their worth at the inter-league all-star games and at the last 6 or so Memorial Cups. I certainly don't think the Q would want or should to shy away from a similar challenge.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
steblick said:
True regarding the CHL business of course. Perhaps the 4th team could then be made up of non-Canadian CHL prospects.

As for the 'mixing' business, I think it obviates the motivational/meaningful factor of playing for your league. As for the Q, it is arguably the BEST of the 3 leagues in terms of prospects this year, and eveni n lesser years they have proven their worth at the inter-league all-star games and at the last 6 or so Memorial Cups. I certainly don't think the Q would want or should to shy away from a similar challenge.

For the record (and I was rather amazed when I looked this up), the QMJHL has been third in the number of players drafted as compared to the other 2 leagues in EVERY YEAR since the advent of the modern NHL draft in 1969. That's 36 straight drafts.

No offense to Q fans, but it doesn't seem quite right that all three leagues would automatically have the same number of players in your proposed prospects tournament, given these statistics.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Juan said:
For the record (and I was rather amazed when I looked this up), the QMJHL has been third in the number of players drafted as compared to the other 2 leagues in EVERY YEAR since the advent of the modern NHL draft in 1969. That's 36 straight drafts.

No offense to Q fans, but it doesn't seem quite right that all three leagues would automatically have the same number of players in your proposed prospects tournament, given these statistics.

Interestingly though it seems that the Q has more free agents or late round surprises make it- which suggests that the league may be underrated. I think a game like this would at least prove if the Q really was prospect-inferior or not. Certainly this year they could fill a prospect roster better than the WHL (and I'm a Westerner myself).

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Seblick good point.

Look at late round steals from the QMJHL playing in the NHL or guys who werent picked.

Plus the QMJHL has less players. 16 teams vs. 20 and 20 for the other 2 leagues.

Get ready for the QMJHL to blow the OHL and WHL out of the water in 2005.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->