New goalie jerseys coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don't mind a more form-fitting jersey for the goalies but I don't like the idea of the jerseys having a different design entirely.

blamebettman*

die hard hockey fans leaving.

sickening :shakehead

Bucky Katt

Aug 30, 2005
Vancouver
I think it is a great idea to have form-fitting jerseys for the goalies. This goes hand-in-hand with regulating goalie equipment and will free up a few more inches of net for scoring.

As for the different jersey style, I am all for it if, and only if, the basic colour and style of the jeresy is consistent with the rest of the team and the difference is only subtle stiping or lettering. In the picture on the website, Lundqvist still looks like a member of the NY Rangers. If he was wearing a green or yellow "Rangers" jersey I would be strongly opposed.

Magnus Fulgur

Nov 27, 2002
I like it, but I live in Georgia, so I have no right to voice an opinion about hockey.

If this restricts the use of those samauri-warrior KOHO shoulderpads, then it's a good idea. And why not have some style in the game? As a former goalie, I think it's great!

Too many people whine about change in the sport, but hockey changed SO much from 1995-2005 that it became unrecognizable. These "changes" are bringing skill and creativity back to the sport. I'm all for it!

psod

Aug 25, 2005
I think it's an interesting idea.

Changing the goaltenders jersey creates another alternative for fans to buy merchandise. There are always fans out there who want something a little different, or who collect jerseys.

I would imagine that the designs will still use the same basic team colours. It seems unlikely they'll go the route of soccer - with completely different colours.

I think it would be a great idea for each goaltender to sort of 'own' his own design. Kind of how their masks are. Allow the goaltender to create his own 'brand' of sorts. Probably won't happen though.

veronesepk

Feb 11, 2005
mole said:
I think you made a mistake. You must have meant fickle, whinging hockey "fans".

Exactly.

I think this person may need a better understanding of the english language and thus the term "die-hards".

blah

Jun 24, 2003
It looks like he's standing in front of a soccer net compared to the old equipment.

I think they should wait to see how the new rules affect the scoring before they add even more.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
Toxostoma Rufum said:
These "changes" are bringing skill and creativity back to the sport. I'm all for it!
How does having a goalie wearing a different sweater than his teammates bring skill and/or creativitity back to the sport?

Guy Legend

Jun 2, 2005
St. Louis
Weary said:
How does having a goalie wearing a different sweater than his teammates bring skill and/or creativitity back to the sport?

Smaller jerseys mean more visible net for shooters. The more net the shooters see, the more inclined they will be to shoot the puck.

I'm all for streamlining the goalie jerseys, but changing the design seems idiotic.

Little Wing

Jul 17, 2004
Desert-ed
blamebettman said:

die hard hockey fans leaving.

sickening :shakehead

I'm as die hard of a fan as any of you , and at 37 yrs old i played hockey before most of you were born, But i to am starting to get a little perturbed at the things the NHL is doing lately.

it seems the league blamed there brush with a near league wide demise on just about everything except the real problems at hand. EXPANSION is what ruined the game in the 1st place, along with greed.
so many new teams no new talent how can franchises with no monetary capital or tradition compete in a league with teams who have been around for decades. Ill tell you how- clutch & grab etc., center ice trap.
The cold hard truth is that the NHL was a much better product in the 70's and 80's and maybe even the early 90's then it will ever be again.
The NHL as a whole let this thing get away from them gradually for 10 or 15 years and now, they are trying to right the entire ship in 3 months, it doesn't work that way and i do believe more of us old time hockey fans will alienate ourselves from the game more in the future, and you younger fans will have never gotten to see the game as it was meant to play.

Won't be long before they ask goalies to play in a jock strap, skates, and a yellow fruit of the loom undershirts

Magnus Fulgur

Nov 27, 2002
I don't buy the expansion theory. There are all kinds of guys in the AHL that can skate and shoot like nobody's business, but they don't have the size or stamina to compete against the clutch n' grab. Do you really believe that there aren't enough great hockey players to fill up 30 teams??? There are only a handful of teams in the NHL that flat out suck. Golly gee, insn't that the same percentage as in all other sports? Also, if you want to go back to the original six, thirty three percent of the teams hopelessly sucked in any given decade.

I don't think that expansion caused the trap, and I don't think the trap is necessarily bad hockey. What is bad is the ballooning of the goalies. Even when I play rec league it's a joke. I can target to hit the posts at will, but most of the time when I go at a goalie, there just is nothing to shoot at if they know anything about playing the angles. When I play against a guy with older goalie kit, it's open season on the net, even if the guy is terrific. The difference is night and day!!!

Last edited:

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
If its like the picture, where it has some semblance to the team uniform, just with a extra stripe or two, I can live with that. If they make them god-awful canary yellow or discongruent colors, well, I'd be nauseated.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think the streamlined jersey looks alright in the picture. What I don't understand is why:

The manufacturers made it clear that the tigher version would not look like a team's current sweaters,

So to streamline the sweaters, they have to use white material? I just don't see why they have to make the jerseys look different. In the case of the Rangers, just dye that white stuff blue and, bam, it looks like every other Rangers jersey.

bladoww

Team of the Future
Jan 13, 2005
In soccer, maybe someone can shed some light on this - is the goalie's jersey different to make it easy to identify him when he is completely surrounded by other players? Put on a soccer goalie a jersey that's identical to the rest of his team and the only thing that looks different are that he's wearing gloves.

But really why would the hockey goalie wear a different jersey as far as LOOKS go? 800 pounds of equipment hes already wearing isn't enough to differentiate him from anyone else on the ice?

Tighter jersey... Ok, I get that.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
octopi said:
If its like the picture, where it has some semblance to the team uniform, just with a extra stripe or two, I can live with that. If they make them god-awful canary yellow or discongruent colors, well, I'd be nauseated.

kenabnrmal said:
You have a weak stomach, don't you...

:D

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Pace of Expansion..

rocky hockey said:
I'm as die hard of a fan as any of you , and at 37 yrs old i played hockey before most of you were born, But i to am starting to get a little perturbed at the things the NHL is doing lately.

it seems the league blamed there brush with a near league wide demise on just about everything except the real problems at hand. EXPANSION is what ruined the game in the 1st place, along with greed.
so many new teams no new talent how can franchises with no monetary capital or tradition compete in a league with teams who have been around for decades. Ill tell you how- clutch & grab etc., center ice trap.
The cold hard truth is that the NHL was a much better product in the 70's and 80's and maybe even the early 90's then it will ever be again.
The NHL as a whole let this thing get away from them gradually for 10 or 15 years and now, they are trying to right the entire ship in 3 months, it doesn't work that way and i do believe more of us old time hockey fans will alienate ourselves from the game more in the future, and you younger fans will have never gotten to see the game as it was meant to play.

Won't be long before they ask goalies to play in a jock strap, skates, and a yellow fruit of the loom undershirts

It was more tha pace of expansion that hurt the league than expansion itself.

At the end of the 1990-1991 season, there were 21 teams, but the start of the 2000-2001, there were 30 teams. That's basically an expansion team per season throughout the 90's.

SJ - 1991 - good market to get into, but the league's hands were kind of forced as the Gunds wanted to move the Stars there, but got an expansion team instead.

Ottawa and TB 1992 - markets turned out to be ok. TB, just some poor management decisions that kept them in the basement in their first decade. Ottawa, horrible start, but good drafted during that time enabled them to be the team they are now. However, these 3 teams ALL had Arena issues. SJ started out in the 10K seat Cow Palace. Ottawa played at the Civic Centre for 3 years and had financing issues and development issues surrounding the Palladium/Corel Centre. TB, started in the EXPO Hall, then moved to what is now Tropicana Field for the Devil Rays, before getting the St. Pete's Times Forum.

Florida & Ananheim 1993 - part of the NHL's plan to get big name owners, in Disney and Blockbuster involved. Both were fine markets in the beginning, but Florida needed an new arena as the Miami Arena had no luxury boxes, while things turned south in Anaheim after Kariya got his concussions.

5 teams in 3 years was a lot to deal with at the time, so the NHL should have been patient, and let these teams develop some youngsters with skill so that they could all play are more offensive style of game.

However, in 1997, the NHL decided to expand again, and extend the last CBA to get the last 4 expansion teams in.

That was the bad move. Should have resolved the CBA first, then bring on the new teams, not the Reverse. Especially when Hartford was on the move. They couldn't ended up in one of the expansion cities.

Nashville and Atlanta were going to be the toughest markets to develop of the 4 cities. Minnesota, if run properly, and they have despite the fact I hate their style of play, and Columbus, first pro team in the city and hockey weather should be ok long term, so long as Maclean manages the team better than he has. Threw too much $ around just prior to the lockout and got no results.

These 4 teams played defensively to compete with the other NHL teams, that's one of the reasons the NHL has to now crackdown on the obstruction enforcement.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Interpretation...

Winger98 said:
I think the streamlined jersey looks alright in the picture. What I don't understand is why:

So to streamline the sweaters, they have to use white material? I just don't see why they have to make the jerseys look different. In the case of the Rangers, just dye that white stuff blue and, bam, it looks like every other Rangers jersey.

I interpret the "Jerseys won't look the same as the other players" to mean that the striping might be different. As long as the goalies have the same logo and color as his team, that's all that matters. If because of the material and coloring issues with dyeing them prevents the new goalie jerseys from being identical to the other players, no big deal.

The NHL promised form fitting jerseys, so lets see it. As for not having enough time for the goalies to get used to it, big deal, every goalie would be in the same situation.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
Turco wore one last night for the Stars. It wasn't that bad. Same primary color (dark green), same logo on the front. Biggest different was white vents under the arms and no three-color star dyed into the fabric (for those of you who don't know the Stars home jersey, it's a dark green, four-pointed star [the player's head is the fifth point] outlines in gold with the remaining areas black). I didn't mind it at all. I'll have to see how they do the road jersey before I make a judgement on that.

Aebischer wore the normal version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->