NEW GM team needed. What team is the worst to start with?

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
So i play with a lot of house rules and I am looking for the team that in the game is the hardest to start with. A team that has a few bad contracts and not a lot in the system to work with. Last year Vancouver was that team. This year I am not so sure who its going to be. A lot of teams with shit contracts have a lot of prospects to work with or are very easy to tank with and stock up for the future without having to make moves.

House rules are I can't trade any player that is in UFA years of their contract until they are on the last year of the contract. So no dumping bad contracts day 1 unless they are rentals.

Also players that are UFA's i don't get to try and negotiate with. Whatever they ask for i have to give them or let them go to free agency.

No trading for the 1st overall.

Rookies with good potential that are 85 or higher when their ELC runs out can't get a bridge deal. Have to commit to a 8 year deal or qualify them and trade their rights.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
You've got 2 options, really:

1) Carolina.

Jordan Staal and Scott Darling are pretty bad contracts in-game, and their prospect pool is quite underwhelming in-game from a development standpoint too.

They are right in the middle of a rebuild, with lots of cap room and guys on inexpensive, low-term deals so it's not too difficult, but still an interesting challenge for an organization looking for a new identity.

2) Philadelphia

If you want big ugly contracts, that's Philadelphia. Quite a few veterans there that are past their prime, stuck on deals that are hard to move. Depending on what you plan to do with the organization, Simmonds, Giroux, and Voracek's deals can be thrown into that same category as well.

They do have some very good D prospects, which helps accelerate any rebuild, but it's still a decent challenge.

Good luck. Let me know what you choose. Also love the personal rules you've set for yourself. That's what makes GM modes fun.

ToppsSmith

Oct 6, 2013
I’m doing the Rangers at the moment. The farm isn’t great with their stars aging. You may do ok at first but it bottoms out fast.

I do house rules too. I set my trade block and can only accept trades, not offer or counter any. It makes getting rid of bad contacts almost impossible.

I do do bridge deals only because the players tend to develop better on a bridge deal. However I love your rules.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
I’m doing the Rangers at the moment. The farm isn’t great with their stars aging. You may do ok at first but it bottoms out fast.

I do house rules too. I set my trade block and can only accept trades, not offer or counter any. It makes getting rid of bad contacts almost impossible.

I do do bridge deals only because the players tend to develop better on a bridge deal. However I love your rules.

I use to use the trade block in previous years but stop doing it this year when soon as i put marc staal on it he was getting legit and good offers. Yeah he has value because of his overall but he plummets so fast that it felt like i was exploiting the trade block.

The first team i did was a 32 team expansion and then i did the rangers. I was able to rebuild really fast with the rangers. I moved nash grabner and holden and a 3rd for a 1st. All half retained. I also moved Hayes and miller at the deadline for a 1st. they ended up winning a cup so i am sure they were stoked. I got the 3rd the 6th and the 31st picks that year. I then traded captain mac for a mix of prospects and low picks. By year 3 i was a playoff team and then i hit the jackpot in year 4 and signed a 93 overall drew doughty in free agency to a 3 year deal. We won 2 cups before he retired. When Hank finally retired it was rough replacing him but i was able to move picks and prospects to get a deal done with a team that had 3 starting goalies. I want to say it was buffalo.

Jadenb

May 20, 2017
Carolina, New York (Islanders), Montreal and Detroit are all realistic options based on the current status of the present general managers on those teams.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad