New gear- HELP!

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
Ok i just ordered the Rbk 3K shoulder pads/ elbow pads/ and shin guards.

My first mistake was ordering these online instead of actually getting them fitted. i used the "interactive size chart" to get all the equipment. (mostly Mens Medium- i am 5'10 180 lbs) and every piece of equipment fits terribly.

the shoulder pads stick out waaay too far and i look like the incredible hulk after deadlifting. the elbow pads barely velcro around my arm and i lose circulation instantly- and the shins are waaaay too thick as well.

any suggestions for gear that would fit a medium size guy well/ without making him look like the michelin man?

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/rbk-3k-protective-combo-sr.html

KINGS FAN77

Mar 1, 2007
Granada Hills
Same exact thing happend to my friend and he still uses the gear. My only suggestion is that you get rid of the stuff and bite the bullet and buy gear that fits you. Good luck.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
I was lucky in that when I bought equipment that I could just match my stuff to what my brother uses since he is a similar size to me. However, I can understand where it would be confusing because I was confused even though I had actual equipment to guide me.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Rbk pads are notoriously funky fitting. The two piece elbows, which are too big for you anyways, have straps in bad places so it does cut off circulation a bit. Make sure the shoulders fit your chest, and the bulkiness is partially due to the big shoulder caps...don't believe the Rbk ones have those low profile ones. And the shins do fit a bit large and wide as compared to some other ones.

Make sure you size everything up on yourself before returning so you can kinda get an idea of what you might want should you order again...but probably not the best idea. Check out some of the Easton products and the new NikeBauer Supreme line.

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
Rbk pads are notoriously funky fitting. The two piece elbows, which are too big for you anyways, have straps in bad places so it does cut off circulation a bit. Make sure the shoulders fit your chest, and the bulkiness is partially due to the big shoulder caps...don't believe the Rbk ones have those low profile ones. And the shins do fit a bit large and wide as compared to some other ones.

Make sure you size everything up on yourself before returning so you can kinda get an idea of what you might want should you order again...but probably not the best idea. Check out some of the Easton products and the new NikeBauer Supreme line.

you hit it right on the head. it looks like im hiding cannonballs.

spjon25

Jun 27, 2006
I have the 5K elbow pads and the 3K shoulder pads...both are now set to my last set of emergency gear. Did not like the way that the shoulder pads felt around my chest, and the arms (yeah I am a bigger guy). Also, the same thng goes for the elbow pads

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
I'd check out Sher-Wood 5030 Traditions for shoulder pads, and for elbow pads, check out the Easton Synergy line. All are basically the opposite of what you just described your RbK gear feels like.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
I'd say you would be ok with either. But I'd think the Stealth might be a tad bit nicer fitting. I think of the Synergy as a more traditional and Stealth as the modern fit....idk if that's the right idea but that's what I get every time I see some of the stuff. Granted I've only tried the Synergy and they weren't too bad.

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
i wear synergy equipment. The shin pads are protective all around, its nice but at times i notice it being a little bulky, not bad though.

Elbow pads use 3 Velcro straps and fit nice, again they are very protective. They feel weird at first but once you start playing you forget they are there.

Chest protector I don't like. The shoulders are kind of bulky and the spine protector makes putting your jersey on a ***** and a half, it ALWAYS gets stuck on it. In terms of how bulky, i mean like one of those muscle guys with no neck. Only the rest of my body is skinny so it's weird as all hell.

I recommend all but the chest protector (though it is very good protection, and the shoulders are mean as hell if you play contact).

I'm 5'9 150ish so I'm about your height only smaller. The elbow pads medium feel good but they fall short of my gloves, not too far short but i did take a slash once and have worn slash guards since cause...DAMN that hurt.

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
got some new stealth gear and its nice- not bulky at all, but the more modern style. (not cardboard taped together like the traditional.)

any ideas on pants?

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Goalie gear shopping is about as bad.....

Pants, the Eastons are nice and the new NBH look decent too...haven't checked them out myself but from seeing teammates gear, it looks good. If you can find some Missions(or the new Itechs), especially the L series with the adjustable length, wouldn't be a bad choice. CCMs are really bulky...I wound up with a pair of older Itechs which were almost like CCMs. I only did so cause it was padded well on the backside so my tailbone don't hurt when I trip and fall :D If you really want to go streamlined like your pads, go for Rbks or a girdle. Rbks are kinda like a girdle pant so it might work well for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad