New forum software

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Think I mentioned this before but my biggest issue now is this site is sometimes super laggy, to the extent that it sometimes just freezes and I have to refresh. Seems like too much is going on - the old site was so plain/bare bones that it never had these problems. Anyone else have this issue?

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Think I mentioned this before but my biggest issue now is this site is sometimes super laggy, to the extent that it sometimes just freezes and I have to refresh. Seems like too much is going on - the old site was so plain/bare bones that it never had these problems. Anyone else have this issue?
Disable JavaScript and see the difference, but that'll break embeds and the rich text editor.

None

Feb 22, 2012
I'm now experiencing some lagging/sluggish behaviour on this site
Maybe partly related to the ads which seem to have figured out how to bypass adblock (not like I was blocking, heard from a friend :P )

Also, is there any way to search a thread? I can't seem to find one.

vlqN85O.jpg

Video is realtime, shouldn't expect ~15% CPU usage or 1.2-.1.8GB of memory usage over a 2 minute period. Especially not from a page that is only displaying 3-4 ads and nothing else but text.

Memory leak or runaway ad/tracking network? Seems to be repeatable across browsers, but not on mobile.

Last edited:

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
The site is logging me out at random times, sometimes every second or third time I reload the page. What's up with that?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Which mod keeps logging me out of the system?

Why would any moderator do that?

Have you tried (even temporarily) a different browser? This is the first time I've seen this complaint - not saying it's not happening, but to track down the issue, we'd need more info. Probably best to email [email protected] to discuss it further.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Have you tried (even temporarily) a different browser? This is the first time I've seen this complaint - not saying it's not happening, but to track down the issue, we'd need more info. Probably best to email [email protected] to discuss it further.
I've seen this complaint upwards of a dozen times across team threads. Clearing browsing cache/cookies and restarting it is my usual suggestion, but that remedy has had mixed results. I've then told those with expiring sessions to send in support tickets, but I guess they haven't been following through.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I've then told those with expiring sessions to send in support tickets, but I guess they haven't been following through.

Not a single ticket has been logged via support, alas. :( Thanks for the help, WH! BB: if you're willing to try, give Woodhouse's suggestion of clearing your cache / cookies a try.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Not a single ticket has been logged via support, alas. :( Thanks for the help, WH! BB: if you're willing to try, give Woodhouse's suggestion of clearing your cache / cookies a try.
Maybe they were having better success with it than their tones led on, idk. The users want thread ignore. They want to be able to view threads started by ignored users so they don't miss threads. The rich text editor still goes into drag-drop in at least Chrome/desktop, where it doesn't exist, if you look to correct a typo or add text. Yet below's kind of the biggie that needs to be addressed if your hands aren't tied with how ads are served:
As for the page responsiveness, browser extensions can help, while disabling JavaScript will help tremendously if you can live without media embeds and the rich text editor. There seems to be a trend of included bloat from Crave across their sites. Here they definitely score poorly in page speed (~25s), size (~12-15MB), and requests (~1200-1500). Simply improving to mirror Sherdog's state, which migrated in December 2015, doesn't really encourage me either. I mean, sketchy and streaming sites likely score significantly better even if they're still scoring terribly because it's that bad here at present. To illustrate: https://gtmetrix.com/compare/wbgRxy0y/rGhRy4F3/H4AwI5JY

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
The rich text editor still goes into drag-drop in at least Chrome/desktop, where it doesn't exist, if you look to correct a typo or add text.

I can evoke this behaviour in any text widget in Chrome - I think it's a Chrome "feature", alas. Try it in the url widget, for instance.

Most of the other issues you list have been logged with support.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
vlqN85O.jpg

Video is realtime, shouldn't expect ~15% CPU usage or 1.2-.1.8GB of memory usage over a 2 minute period. Especially not from a page that is only displaying 3-4 ads and nothing else but text.

Memory leak or runaway ad/tracking network? Seems to be repeatable across browsers, but not on mobile.

I am seeing the same problem. HFBoards routinely pins one of my CPUs at a 100% and consumes several gigabytes of memory. My guess is that it is a buggy ad as well since it only happens some of the time but when it does happen it is consistently reproducable. I thought it was just me since I am using Linux and flash tends to be pretty buggy on it but looks like you are seeing a similar issue on Windows.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Some of these issues should be posted on the support forum, here:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/forums/support.68/

They require attention from the site administrators / webmasters, and go beyond simple usage help that I or the other Jets moderators can provide here. Discussion of performance issues related to ad serving is one of those topics better discussed on the support forum.

Problematic ads can be dealt with (and have been in the past), but you need to go through the right channels to get the issues resolved in a timely manner.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Have that on my Android tablet but no problem on my PC.
I think it is just my crappy tablet. It is pretty bad at just about everything.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
One thing I noticed recently since the migration is that the threads in the Winnipeg Jets forum dated prior to December 10, 2012 have disappeared. As a result, it is no longer possible to go back to the days, weeks and months leading up to the return of the NHL to Winnipeg and relive the events of the franchise relocation from Atlanta.

:jets

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
Occasionally, I have a problem with posts that include "tweets"...
They fill my entire page with a grey screen, and I can't view any other posts on that page. Logging out and reloading doesn't fix the bug, but I can generally go back another day, and everything works fine on the offending page.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
@Hobby Bull - I'm assuming that you're on Chrome, as this is the only browser we've seen this on.

Try this:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...chrome-issues-the-fix.2408877/#post-137710481

Temporary fix, but simple to do. You can hit F12 to quickly activate the debug console, then hit F12 to get rid of it.

If you don't mind, follow up on the support forum to let us know what extensions you have installed. We're still trying to identify what's causing this, and the webmaster and other devs read the support messages. Thanks!

Reactions: Hobby Bull

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Some threads were purged prior to the move to the new software, alas. Those may have been victims of the purge. You may be able to find them on archive.org - snapshots of many of the threads still exist there.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
@Hobby Bull - I'm assuming that you're on Chrome, as this is the only browser we've seen this on.

Try this:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...chrome-issues-the-fix.2408877/#post-137710481

Temporary fix, but simple to do. You can hit F12 to quickly activate the debug console, then hit F12 to get rid of it.

If you don't mind, follow up on the support forum to let us know what extensions you have installed. We're still trying to identify what's causing this, and the webmaster and other devs read the support messages. Thanks!

Thank you. I'll try the "tweets on Chrome" fix. I had this problem again tonight.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
The ability to copy and paste pics straight into posts is awesome.
I always struggled (despite instructions) on the old site.
Is there a similar option for posting GIF's or videos?

thanks

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
The ability to copy and paste pics straight into posts is awesome.
I always struggled (despite instructions) on the old site.
Is there a similar option for posting GIF's or videos?

thanks

Yes, there is an easy way to insert GIFs, videos, etc. In this image of the editor toolbar:

upload_2017-11-17_1-31-26.png

The one circled is the "insert media" button. It's intelligent enough to be able to figure out what kind of media you're trying to insert, and wrap it with the appropriate media tags. Give it a shot with a full Youtube link, for instance (you can try it in this thread as a testing ground). It works for MANY types of media, like NHL videos, Youtube videos, etc, etc.

The button just to the left of that button is the insert image tool - give it the full link to the GIF, and it'll insert it like any other image.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->