New Format Still Sucks

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I honestly wouldn't mind full divisional playoffs (1 v 4, 2 v 3). Makes more sense than what it is now

True, but then you run the risk of one division's 5th seed missing out despite being miles ahead of the other division's 4th seed.

Under your system, ironically, New Jersey is out and Florida is in. ;)

You're still right though, the current system is definitely flawed.

HockeyAnalystGenius

Jun 15, 2017
The New Format is great for People who are Low-Creativity (Hyper Narcissism) Or low-Business Sense with Low Level of Compassion or Thoughtful Understanding

Dessert Nights

Back in Form
Nov 22, 2016
Finland
I's like to see:

- 32 teams in the league
- four divisions, two per conference, eight teams per division
- every division's top four teams get in the playoffs
- seeding is 1st vs. 4th, 2nd vs. 3rd
- reseed for the second round so better regular season record means home ice
- division winners meet in conference finals and continue like currently

So pretty much just no wildcard and reseed after the first round.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Current system is fine, if they just got rid of the Wild Cards. Then we'd have a true divisional championship round.

- Beat your division
- Beat your conference
- Beat the league

in that order

Reactions: Jason316

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I still don't understand how people can promote the 1-8 format as more scientific when points are a result of a lopsided divisional schedule.
Huh? The schedule is NOT lopsided anymore, which is partly why this current format is so dumb.

Teams play and accumulate points like 70% out of division.

A while back teams used to play 8 games within division IIRC but nowadays with 2 games against out of conference opponents, they barely see their division more than the other division or even the other conference. So the idea that playoffs are division based just doesn't make any sense or follow logic.

Reactions: TheSituation

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
This season, the 3rd place team in the East (Toronto) had the same thing on the line when Boston played Florida in game 82 as the 8th place team (Jersey)...somehow that doesn't seem right.....

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The NHL is so worried about creating rivalry matchups that they don't care if many of those teams and up getting bounced in the first round as a result.

The current format does nothing to reward the top teams in the league that aren't atop their respective divisions.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
Yup, but these would be better and fairer matchups. And I say that knowing that Boston would kick the Flyers ass. It's not just about the silliness of Boston playing Toronto in the first round. Reseeding makes the second round better and fairer, also.

1 TB v 8 NJ
2 Was v 7 CBJ
3 Bos v 6 Phi
4 Tor v 5 Pit

1 Nas v 8 Col
2 VGK v 7 LA
3 Win v 6 SJ
4 Min v 5 Ana
True. Not to mention we would still get plenty of divisional series in a conference format with only 2 divisions in a conference instead of 3.

If they are still worried about travel then have any interdivisional series involving a Central team and a Pacific team use a 2-3-2 system like they did from 93-98

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
If the penguins and Capitals meet in the second round for the third straight year then I think that's pretty indicting of a flawed playoff system.

Reactions: Tmu84

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
I just don't like the idea that one of the top three teams gets booted while the 4th or 5th place team moves on. The top teams should be rewarded with easier opponents. Not a free pass, obviously, as we saw last season that's not always the case. But no other league has this contrived, rivalry-based matchup system that basically throws out the idea of top-vs-bottom in the first round.

But again, one of the top three teams doesn't necessarily need to get booted in the 1st Round. The 2nd Round, yes, but not the 1st; but then that's obvious because there can only be 2 Conference Finalists. You're beef, I believe, is more about the matchups and who gets Home-ice advantage.

Personally, it's the crossover Wildcard matchups that I don't like. Divisional Playoffs are fine with me, but I can't take them of leave them.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->