New Format Still Sucks

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
There are pro's and con's to each format and I haven't been particularly bothered by the seeding of either. Generally you have to beat great teams to win the Cup regardless.

HOWEVER, the start times of some of these games has been ridiculous. The Chicago Blackhawks should not have had home games in round 1 start at 8:30pm CST the last two years. It's almost an 8:45 puck drop. One of the benefits of the new format allegedly was to minimize Western Conference teams having to fly across the country every other night in the first 2 rounds and have the susbsequent discrepancies in fan viewing times be less drastic i.e. Detroit/Nashville v Anaheim round 1.

I haven't checked the playoff schedule this year but hopefully that's fixed.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I have an issue with the league points scoring as well. Teams shouldn't be qualifying for the play-off with fewer wins than those outside. If that is the scoring system then your league needs to fix it.

NewSNESJersey

Feb 29, 2016
Yep. Toronto finishes with 105 and starts on the road in the playoffs.
2007 Wild had 104 points and started on the road
2007 Penguins had 105 points and started on the road.
2007 Stars had 107 points and started on the road.
2007 Sharks had 107 points and started on the road.

What's your point?

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Yes, I agree with the title. BUT, really, could there be many better matchups than this year's Regular Season has produced for the 1st Round of the Playoffs?? Wow, it looks exciting just viewing the matchups on screen.

I'm particularly glad for Nashville that winning the PT didn't end up meaning they had to play a PTZ team in the 1st Round.

Reactions: LCPreds

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I'm particularly glad for Nashville that winning the PT didn't end up meaning they had to play a PTZ team in the 1st Round.

This was a legit concern. Talk about a massive reward for winning PT. Here’s your trophy, now please enjoy your wild card road trip to California.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
It makes zero sense. Of the top three teams in the East, one is guaranteed an early exit.

That shouldn't happen.

None of them necessarily need to exit in the 1st Round. There can only be two of them left in the Conference Final (as always). So I guess you're complaining about at least one having to exit in the 2nd Round, but how the hell else could it be??

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
Meanwhile at NHL HQ...

X3W9PXq.png

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
None of them necessarily need to exit in the 1st Round. There can only be two of them left in the Conference Final (as always). So I guess you're complaining about at least one having to exit in the 2nd Round, but how the hell else could it be??

Really?

As the top 3 seeds, under the old rules they'd all have home ice advantage, and all have a chance of advancing to round two.

Again, under these new rules one of them will be going home early while an inferior team is guaranteed to advance.

Last edited:

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Really?

As 3nof the top 3 seeds, under the old rules they'd all have home ice advantage, and all have a chance of advancing to round two.

Again, under these new rules one of them will be going home early while an inferior team is guaranteed to advance.

Now you're talking Home Ice advantage... There I agree with you. But that's not what you referred to in the previous post.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
1 vs 8 or 1 vs 16 please

Why does Penguins have easier matchup than Boston?

Boston has way more points and have harder matchup that they might lose.
Maybe you should be upset at the Bruins for pissing away a golden opportunity tonight to win the division more so than the playoff format. If the Bruins won you wouldn’t be yapping.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad