¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
A good listen. Man, I miss Drew...

holding-back-tears-gif-9.gif

Reactions: Phu

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Insightful interview. Confirms that Remenda was fired for being too critical of the team.

Explains the sycophantic actions of some media members.

rideaucrusher21

Aug 8, 2008
CA
Insightful interview. Confirms that Remenda was fired for being too critical of the team.

Explains the sycophantic actions of some media members.

That’s such a shame because his honesty is really what I liked about him. I absolutely prefer subjective analysis vs. lip service to management. Makes for a much more entertaining experience if you ask me.

Implicit in management’s decision to fire Remenda for being to critical is the fact they view us, the fans, as idiots. As if we can’t see through syncophantic BS. Hopefully i’ll be a Sharks fan for a long time, but actions like this make me less interested in the team.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Haven't listened yet, but will soon!

Thanks for posting.

Always loved Drew, even if we didn't always see eye to eye. He tells it like it is, no BS from him, which is rare in this business.

RickyHP

May 9, 2013
Bay Area, CA
drew and randy never forget.

interesting bit about drew noticing differences in the mentality of the team compared to the years prior and up until the unforgettable LA series where LA came back from 3-0.

great interview

Last edited:

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I liked Drew when he was here and I actually met him as a little kid and he was very nice, but watching him with the Oilers, I can see he is super flawed. He is far too biased, emotionally involved, and does weird shit like referring to every player by their first name. It may come off as genuine or endearing hearing every player referred to by their first name when it’s your favorite team, but when listening to a team towards which you aren’t biased, it just comes off as creepy.

Reactions: Sleepy

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Really miss that guy, hope he makes his way back someday. He belongs in SJ, even if he was just a reporter or intermission guy

Reactions: jMoneyBrah

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I liked Drew when he was here and I actually met him as a little kid and he was very nice, but watching him with the Oilers, I can see he is super flawed. He is far too biased, emotionally involved, and does weird **** like referring to every player by their first name. It may come off as genuine or endearing hearing every player referred to by their first name when it’s your favorite team, but when listening to a team towards which you aren’t biased, it just comes off as creepy.

Do you think he’s forced to be a homer by the higher ups? Or maybe he’s afraid to make the same “mistake” by telling it how it is? I liked him a lot because he told it how it was.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Drew definitely had his biases, especially against some euros, so I don't miss him in the slightest. But it is refreshing to know that he got canned for being too critical.
I really liked Baker until he became a yes-man on TV, so this explains the change. You can tell that Hedican is a lot more critical when he's on the radio too.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
Drew definitely had his biases, especially against some euros, so I don't miss him in the slightest. But it is refreshing to know that he got canned for being too critical.
I really liked Baker until he became a yes-man on TV, so this explains the change. You can tell that Hedican is a lot more critical when he's on the radio too.

It's unfortunate. I think Drew harped on a few issues a bit too much for a hometown guy, and got on the refs and some sharks players wayyyyy too much, but I did like that he would credit other teams a lot when they played well. He was pretty awesome up until his last couple years in SJ.

Wouldn't mind him coming back, but I also really like Hedi. Bakes isn't the right fit for TV.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
It's unfortunate. I think Drew harped on a few issues a bit too much for a hometown guy, and got on the refs and some sharks players wayyyyy too much, but I did like that he would credit other teams a lot when they played well. He was pretty awesome up until his last couple years in SJ.

Wouldn't mind him coming back, but I also really like Hedi. Bakes isn't the right fit for TV.
Hedican still has a ways to go. He basically ran out of material to work with by the end of the regular season, and he was only in the position for half the season, but he's got potential.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
It was a surprisingly candid (perhaps not all that surprising considering the source) take on why he was not brought back by Drew. I really felt that Drew was the perfect color guy for this market, up until the last couple of years. His perspective as an unsuccessful coach (his words, LOL), thoughtful analysis, recognition that a bit of education about the Xs and Os of the game would go a long way towards building the fan-base, and most importantly his genuinely great rapport with Randy Hann was a great asset to the Sharks in establishing their foothold in this market.

During his halcyon years as a Sharks broadcaster you could clearly see that even though he’s was a paid ambassador for the team, he was also sincerely one of the biggest Sharks fans. Especially impressive, was that for a regional broadcaster he still managed to be relatively objective about other teams and refs/calls. Ultimately, I think his downfall (can’t think of a better word to use here) came as result of being as big of a fan as he was, that level of emotional investment, and perhaps drinking a bit too much of McLellans Koolaid.

Eventually, like for many of the long time Sharks fans I’ve known, the mounting playoff disappointments took their toll on him, and bright eyed optimism gave way to a more jaded perspective of the Sharks play and players. The last couple of seasons, he was clearly not as joyful, and the relentless criticisms of the teams play got old and was regularly painful to watch. It seems he’s come to understand all this, and reading between the lines, is not nearly as emotionally invested in Edmonton. Also after hearing a few of their broadcasts, compared to Randy, he has crap rapport with Edmonton’s PBP guy.

None of the subsequent color guys have fit nearly as well with Randy as Drew did during those special years. And I’d say in the pantheon of Bay Area sports in my lifetime, only maybe Krup and Kuip, during the Giants recent World Series runs, may have added more to the enjoyment of watching a teams broadcast than the multiple regional Emmy winning (LOL) team of Randy and Drew during the bulk of their time together.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Hedican still has a ways to go. He basically ran out of material to work with by the end of the regular season, and he was only in the position for half the season, but he's got potential.

... in b4 the latest revelation that Timo Meier has improved his play over of every 5 game segment of the season.

Hedican can bring some useful insights, but I think, perhaps because of his history as a player, like Baker, can go to the “standard hockey cliche” well far too often. Clearly, more cerebral than Baker, Hedican is not nearly as polished as an orator (not that Baker is especially polished either).

I agree that Hedi has potential, and really the only thing holding him back is, perhaps cleaning up the stutters and verbal missteps, and adding more variety to his descriptions. Not every good thing should be described as “a nice little <insert thing here>”.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->