New DOPS video explaining illegal headshots (Doughty, Johansen, Kucherov, Hartman)

dratbunnies

Nov 23, 2009
Winnipeg Manitoba
Good on them for releasing that. It does seem they only think the head is the main point of contact if it really is pretty much the only point of contact when it is hit. Don't know if I really agree with that.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Gotta be honest, I’ve been very critical of DOPS but this video is well done and is helpful in understanding their approach to head shots.

I’d like them to deal with how guys get mashed into the boards/charging/hitting guys in numbers more clearly, but maybe that’s on the GM’s to state to the League that this is a clear issue and needs similar clarity from DOPS. Maybe that’s for another day.

In meantime, fair is fair — this is well done and makes sense.

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
Glad the NHL is explaining it and it makes sense.

Unfortunately there's no chance they could do a video for the goalie interference stuff because there's been zero sense or logic applied there.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Good on them for releasing that. It does seem they only think the head is the main point of contact if it really is pretty much the only point of contact when it is hit. Don't know if I really agree with that.
It is very clear, but really points out how little they care about protecting brain trauma. (Hit the head as hard as you like just make sure you get as much or more body).

It also contradicts many past videos explaining the obligations of players getting suspended.

Clearly Kucherov could have stayed lower and failing to do so is where so much extra blunt force was applied to the head of Vatanen.

Last edited:

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
It is very clear, but really points out how little they care about protecting brain trauma. (Hit the head as hard as you like just make sure you get as much or more body).

It also contradicts many past videos explaining the obligations of players getting suspended.

Clearly Kucherov could have stayed lower and failing to do so is where so much extra blunt force was applied to the head.

It was spelled out in the clearest way possible in this exact video. DoPS is not there to write the rule book. They are not there to 'care' about protecting players from brain trauma. They are there to call the rule book as it is written.

The rule book is written with input from teams, players and refs. Just as it should be.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Informative, but I agree with the above comment about the contradictions from some previous videos. There have been times when they say "the player could have" or the "player choose to" (paraphrasing from memory) in their videos that indicate a different set of criteria than the above video. At least that's my takeaway over the years. Could be wrong in what I'm understanding previous video explanations to mean.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton

Clearly Kucherov could have stayed lower and failing to do so is where so much extra blunt force was applied to the head of Vatanen.

What do you expect to be the standard then? I mean if you are throwing shoulder to shoulder hits there with be some extra contact to the head from time to time.

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
Now all we need is a video explaining the goaltender interference in avs/preds game 3!

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009

Bingo, video is only trying to deflect from the dumpster fire that is DoPS.

Quick glance at the comments tells me that the people writing the rules need to pick up a dictionary or are willfully writing rules in a way to give themselves some legal deniability.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Informative, but I agree with the above comment about the contradictions from some previous videos. There have been times when they say "the player could have" or the "player choose to" (paraphrasing from memory) in their videos that indicate a different set of criteria than the above video. At least that's my takeaway over the years. Could be wrong in what I'm understanding previous video explanations to mean.

I think the biggest thing and something a lot of people fail to realize when it comes to the DoPS is that this isn't case law. Parros isn't held to the standards and decisions by past people in his position. Of course explanations and reasons will change based on who is in charge

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Great video and it lets you understand why they chose the 2 plays to be suspendable over the other 2.

I thought the Kucherov hit shouldve gotten the same as Doughty, but the video at least explains why they said no.

I still feel like looking at the video that Kucherov's intent to hit high was more (or at least equally) apparent than Doughty's intent and i think that should be factored in.

Regardless, if this is how they are going to determine whether its a suspensiom or not i think this clears up a lot of the questions and speculation (whether it's correct or not, looking at the head rotation compared to the body rotation is primarily how they determine suspensions).

dratbunnies

Nov 23, 2009
Winnipeg Manitoba
It was spelled out in the clearest way possible in this exact video. DoPS is not there to write the rule book. They are not there to 'care' about protecting players from brain trauma. They are there to call the rule book as it is written.

The rule book is written with input from teams, players and refs. Just as it should be.
Thats fair enough. But it doesn't really ease any concern, just makes sure the frustration is directed at the right place haha

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That's a very helpful video. You can see exactly why they've ruled as they have, proving that those who have complained about "inconsistency" just didn't understand what the rule is. Unfortunately, there are still a lot of people who will continue to complain because they need a villain to blame. Sports fans will never fully stop hating on the officials, whether those on the ice or off of it.

Now stick it in the rules so we can get some consistency.

The whole point of the video is to show that it has been in the rules since 2010 and has been consistently applied.

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
Very unlikely that they’d be in complete bodily control to do such a thing.

That and why risk injury to yourself..

I seriously don't think half the people on these boards ever played hockey or watched it live to realize how fast everything on the ice happens in real time..

So many people watch these super slow motion videos and pick them to death to make someone look dirty when in reality the play happened in a 10th of a second..Like yeah Marchand just said you know what im gonna do this crossover in front of Johansson and then "accidentally" lose my footing so i can take out his knees....like please..the game happens too fast for shit like that...

On the flipside tho when a guy goes from the hash mark full stride and nails a guys in the numbers they knew what they were doing, but if the guy turns last second to show his numbers its not so easy to just totally lay up..

The game happens so fast its not so cut and dry as people like to think.

However the posters on HF have been the most butter soft I can remember this playoffs, its hilarious. Anyone whose watched before 2000 knows that.

StarvinArvyn33

Jun 18, 2010
Yesterday
Good video but the doughty and kucherov hit look very similair. Johansens even looks a little like the doughty hit. Im a preds fan btw Only watched the video once so i may be out to lunch. The worst was hartmans no question.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003

Right. Very, very different from the suspension videos stating that the player was obligated to avoid or at least minimize head contact.
So no longer pretending to care?
Finally an honest video?

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Right. Very, very different from the suspension videos stating that the player was obligated to avoid or at least minimize head contact.
So no longer pretending to care?
Finally an honest video?

I don't think it was ever a part of their mandate to 'care' about players' well being. They are just enforcing the rule book.

Also, these 4 hits are discussed together for a reason. In all of these hits the player receiving the hit did not change body position immediately before contact. This explanations would be very different if additional factor of sudden player position change was present. In a way, these four are about as clear cut as it gets. All you have to do is check if head is the main point of contact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->