Confirmed with Link: New Coyotes Captains

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
Goligoski who is over paid and has been disappointing. Hopefully this is just a one year thing to kind of pay respect to Doan for the disrespectful way they handled his exit. Also with Goligoski being our GM's first big signing, I think he goes out of his way to praise him every chance he gets and I suspect this appointment is just another extension of that.

I think Gogo likely is a decent locker room leader type. Wore an A with the Stars before coming here

cobra427

May 6, 2012
None of us know the thinking going on behind this decision but I am fine with it. Over time, somebody will be named captain when appropriate. I think Tocc is saying these 5 players are the leadership group and are expected to be leaders. You don't need a letter A or C to be a leader.

Last edited:

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
None of us know the thinking going on behind this decision but I am fine with it. Over time, somebody will be named captain when appropriate. I think Tocc is saying these 5 players are the leadership group and are expected to be leaders. You don't need a letter A or C to be a leader.

Agreed, not sure how anyone can argue with our current approach or profess to know that certain players would be offended when they're 'demoted'. Unless you're consistently in the locker room or are wasting a clairvoyant talent, you have no idea. Might as well be making generalizations about the Swedish people.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
That's all fine. I'd still just rather have one named though.

There have been plenty of examples of players being stripped of their captaincy in recent years yet still remaining productive members of the team. Including successful teams. A few HoF caliber players even.
So if worst came to worst I don't think it's some great insult to change captains like it might have been looked at as in the 80's or earlier.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Agreed, not sure how anyone can argue with our current approach or profess to know that certain players would be offended when they're 'demoted'. Unless you're consistently in the locker room or are wasting a clairvoyant talent, you have no idea. Might as well be making generalizations about the Swedish people.
Well I would preface my posts with "from an outsiders perspective" but I think that much goes without saying. Right?

I'm looking at the squeeze and the juice. That's all.

I like a bunch of alternates. What I question is two that are elevated among the rest. That's an A that's better than the others. I call that a C. Just pick a C. Between OEL and Hjalmarsson I think that's obvious. If Hjalmarsson is clearly that much better than the other As than it's very easy. OEL is your C and Hjalmarsson is your A. Rotate the other A. That's fine. This just seems like bullshit p***y footing. If OEL and Hammer are clearly a cut above than that's one C and one A. Right?

I understand it doesn't matter that much. I do. I'm not doomsdaying this. I'm not boycotting over it. I just don't see the upside. Feel free to educate me. I'm happy to be shown the light and change my opinion. I do it all the time. It's a minor thing but it feels haphazard.

We've established that OEL and his partner are one step above the others. Is anyone here honestly thinking that we can't choose between these two?

Maybe it's so simple as Hammer has the rings. He does. He's a little older and has less term on his draft. Maybe OEL isn't the perfect fit. I believe that's also probably true. I can see why you wouldn't pin the C on either. I don't have a problem with no C. What I'm struggling with is the idea of two (or even one permanent A) and a bunch of also As that are less permanent. It's already been figured out in that scenario. There's no C. Easy answer and one I'm fine with. Just rotate all the As, then.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Domi will be our captain. Just not this year
The more I hear it the more I like it. The one advantage of not naming a Captain yet is that the young guys coming up (Domi, Keller, Strome even) have a chance to make a case for some leadership roles. I say that because you look at McDavid (obviously he's a different story from normal players) and he got that C really early on.

I doubt the team wants to name one player a captain this year and then change that 2 years down the road or something. Not that doing that would be the worst thing ever... but I can see them wanting to stick with that C for a while.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I'm a little shocked that Hjalmarsson joins OEL as the only non-ratator. Seems strange. That means one of those two gets the C. Otherwise one or the other gets "demoted" from always A to sometimes A. We all know Hjalmarsson isn't going to be captain. That means OEL will be the captain. Why **** around like this? I honestly think this was poorly handled. They should have named three permanent As or made all five rotating As. This is needlessly convoluted and has potential for mixed messages and bad feelings.

I'd guess they're prepping for a Hjalmarsson extension next summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad