Confirmed with Link: New Coyotes Captains

Naych_PHX

Hey now!
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
Cool. I don't think it matters in the end. It's just a matter of ceremony. You just get to argue and talk with the refs more. OEL is a given, and I'm glad Stepan has embraced a leadership role here.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I was totally unaware of such a stigma! Haha. Was there ever one?!? Last I checked Lidstrom and Zetterberg were pretty highly thought of.
Swiss not liking Sweeds and vice versa. Stigma not the best fit, but the best I could come up with.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Clearly the team loves Sweden and we need to bring up Mario Kempe to give him an A. Without him there are four Europeans on the roster and one is Antti Raanta who can't be named a captain or alternate because he's a goalie. Clearly the third A is going to go to Tobias Rieder.

:sarcasm:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Oh Captain, my Captain

So Tocchet didn't want to give that much voice to any of his players perhaps? I would prefer that we had a captain.

Reactions: SniperHF

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Well it seems like we arent going to do anything conventional this season haha. 5 A's. One that is rotating.

Somewhat ironic that we're celebrating changing the "rule by committee" ownership to a single owner, and yet now we have five alternate captains with nobody wearing the "C." :D

Dasyotesfan92

Oct 3, 2017
Thats pretty cool, top pair both A's. Its going to be an interesting year for me. I Was living in Washington state for like a year and a half. Got to see a couple of Thunderbird games in my yotes haha. Huge change since the last time i was at GRA.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Somewhat ironic that we're celebrating changing the "rule by committee" ownership to a single owner, and yet now we have five alternate captains with nobody wearing the "C." :D
Doan think you can have five, thought you could have four (if no Captain), but based on article it appears to be three?
Oh Captain, my Captain

So Tocchet didn't want to give that much voice to any of his players perhaps? I would prefer that we had a captain.
Meh, he's starting from scratch with no incumbent - it will work itself out in time.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Doan think you can have five, thought you could have four (if no Captain), but based on article it appears to be three?

Semantics - only three can wear the "A" on the ice at a time, but there are five players who are considered alternate captains for the team. Two permanent (OEL and Hjalmarsson) and three rotating.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't see anything about a rotating A in that article? Sounds like OEL and Hjalmarsson are confirmed by a "source" (being that it's McLellan the source is either Rick Tocchet, John Chayka, or Andre Barroway). The third A is one from the list. Not multiple from the list. At least that's how I read it.

I expect it to be Stepan.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm a little shocked that Hjalmarsson joins OEL as the only non-ratator. Seems strange. That means one of those two gets the C. Otherwise one or the other gets "demoted" from always A to sometimes A. We all know Hjalmarsson isn't going to be captain. That means OEL will be the captain. Why f*** around like this? I honestly think this was poorly handled. They should have named three permanent As or made all five rotating As. This is needlessly convoluted and has potential for mixed messages and bad feelings.

Better options include:
1. Name one fixed C and two fixed As
2. Name one fixed C and multiple rotating As
3. Name three fixed As
4. Name multiple rotating As

Having some fixed As and some rotating As is actually pretty stupid, in my opinion. It elevates two As over the other three As. Just give one of them the C then. Otherwise you have to "demote" someone later and through no fault of their own. Which is bullshit. There's no upside.

Last edited:

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
I don't see anything about a rotating A in that article? Sounds like OEL and Hjalmarsson are confirmed by a "source" (being that it's McLellan the source is either Rick Tocchet, John Chayka, or Andre Barroway). The third A is one from the list. Not multiple from the list. At least that's how I read it.

I expect it to be Stepan.
That is how I read it as well. I see one of those three stepping up and taking the C full time within the next few months.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I guess it doesn't really matter but I don't like it. Only one original Coyote in that group when you have Domi who models everything you'd like in a captain, at least from a fan point of view. Talented, tough, a team guy and seems like a really good person who is a role model for people who struggle with diabetes. They went with all vets which isn't at all surprising but I think with there being 5 it would have been a great chance to give the home grown Domi, fan favorite and one of our best players some leadership of the team to see if he's captain material. Instead he picks Richardson who should be gone next year and Goligoski who is over paid and has been disappointing. Hopefully this is just a one year thing to kind of pay respect to Doan for the disrespectful way they handled his exit. Also with Goligoski being our GM's first big signing, I think he goes out of his way to praise him every chance he gets and I suspect this appointment is just another extension of that.

Dasyotesfan92

Oct 3, 2017
I guess it doesn't really matter but I don't like it. Only one original Coyote in that group when you have Domi who models everything you'd like in a captain, at least from a fan point of view. Talented, tough, a team guy and seems like a really good person who is a role model for people who struggle with diabetes. They went with all vets which isn't at all surprising but I think with there being 5 it would have been a great chance to give the home grown Domi, fan favorite and one of our best players some leadership of the team to see if he's captain material. Instead he picks Richardson who should be gone next year and Goligoski who is over paid and has been disappointing. Hopefully this is just a one year thing to kind of pay respect to Doan for the disrespectful way they handled his exit. Also with Goligoski being our GM's first big signing, I think he goes out of his way to praise him every chance he gets and I suspect this appointment is just another extension of that.
I agree with Domi. I can see him being that community/ambassador guy for the Yotes that Doan was. He loves his fans. Great guy to help build a fan base off ice.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad