NEW CBA- Contract Re-Negogiatation??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oshawa General

Jul 18, 2005
Does anyone know whether players or teams are able to re-negotiate a current contract under the new CBA?
For example, if Alexander Mogilny wants to play in the NHL again, can he re-negogiate his contract and take his $3.5M contract for next year and re-negogiate that to 2 years at $1.75 per year?

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
Oshawa General said:
Does anyone know whether players or teams are able to re-negotiate a current contract under the new CBA?
For example, if Alexander Mogilny wants to play in the NHL again, can he re-negogiate his contract and take his $3.5M contract for next year and re-negogiate that to 2 years at $1.75 per year?
I have no official answer, someone might, but I doubt that's allowable

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
From NHL site.....

http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/cba/index.html
RENEGOTIATION OF CONTRACTS

Will Clubs be able to renegotiate contracts with players?

No. Player contracts will not be renegotiated (upward or downward) during their term. Extensions may be negotiated but only in the final year of the contract and only if such extension is for an amount that can be accommodated in a Club's upper limit for the current year or as computed for future years.

Nols

Sep 14, 2005
Edmonton
Mr BLUEandWHITE said:
thats a stupid part of the CBA i mean if the player and the team agree to re-negotiate then why not i dont see the harm in that

yea its a baaad glitch. in a cap league it should really be allowed.

CH

Jul 30, 2003
Visit site
Mr BLUEandWHITE said:
thats a stupid part of the CBA i mean if the player and the team agree to re-negotiate then why not i dont see the harm in that

The problem is the NHL chose to use the average of the remaining years in a contract as the salary cap hit for a given year. Lots of odd rules were needed to prevent salary cap loopholes as a result.

Lets say a player has a contract that drops in value over a few years

Say Year 1 : $4 mill
Year 2: $2.5 mill
Year 3: $1.5 mill
Year 4: $1 mill

Thats a $9 mill contract over 4 years. The player would get paid $4 mill and cost $2.25 mill to the salary cap in year one.

Lets say the players then renegotiates his contract so that he makes $4 mill again in year 2.

Thats a problem as it would create a salary cap loophole. He made $4 mill but only "cost" $2.25 mill because of anticipated drops in salary he would have in the future (but never actually happened). So they set rules to control contract renegotiations.

Of course this sets up some other unintended consequences like this Mogilny situation.

That is the problem with making large CBA changes in a short period of time. Unintended consequences are more likely because we have not had a chance to see the effects of incrementally adding the new rules but instead add them all at once.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Mr BLUEandWHITE said:
Because it keeps teams from signing a player to a ridiculous contract (see: Khabibulin, 4 years and $27 million; Malakhov, 2 years and $7.2 million; Mogilny, 2 years and $7 million; Burke, 2 years and $3.2 million among others) and then just re-working the contract a year or two in to fix their mistake.

RTWAP*

In addition to closing a loophole, I think it also protects players.

Without this rule a team could sit an overpriced player for a significant part of a season to apply pressure to renegotiate. Players shouldn't have to choose between icetime and pay.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
Nols said:
yea its a baaad glitch. in a cap league it should really be allowed.

More importantly, it means players with contracts are forced to honor their contracts, IE, they can't hold out for a new contract when they have an existing one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->