New Acquisitions Key In Flyers Victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandaou

Mar 6, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
When GM Claudio Mannarino acquired Jason Arnott and Scott Mellamby, he felt he finally had a number one line. The acquisition of both players strengthened the biggest weakness of this team, offence.

Both players came with a high price tag as the Flyers gave the Wild highly regarded prospect Alex “The Axe†Perezhogin and picks to aquire Arnott and a 2nd and 4th round pick along with prospects to Colorado to trade for Mellamby.

“At the time we felt fortunate to make those deals†says the GM. “We felt we had a good group but if we were serious about a playoff run we needed to improve our club.†The GM pointed out that the trades were not solely short-term answers. “Arnott will play for us for a long time. Mellamby’s stay may be shorter due to his age but he’s already paid huge dividends.â€

To show the teams faith in Mellamby, who struggled before being traded to the Flyers and united with Jason Arnott, the Flyers signed him to a 2-year extension. Arnott has one more year remaining before he becomes a RFA.

Arnott was great in the Flyers first round series against the NYI. He pocketed 3 goals and added an assist and was a plus 3. Arnott’s big body also created space on the ice, witnessed by Mellamby’s coming out party as a Flyer, who contributed three goals and 7 points.

“We finally got the monkey off our back. Three years in a row we have taken a 3-2 series lead only to lose both the 6th and 7th game,†said longtime Flyer Sami Salo.

“This feels great. The Islanders were a great team, we just had a few more bounces go our way. Hasek was great in the overtime periods and that’s where the series was decided,†shouted Mike Fisher in a crowded locker room after the game.

The Flyers will now rest and wait for their first round opponent. Their likely dancing partner still has not been decided so the Flyers will be able to rest a few bruised bodies before they face either the Senators or the Canadiens.

Mar 1, 2002
Keep goin Claudio! 12 more wins and the 2nd you gave me becomes a 1st! GO FLYERS!!

Oh yeah....thanks for Perezhogin. ..grumble. ;)

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Congratulations

Wild GM said:
Keep goin Claudio! 12 more wins and the 2nd you gave me becomes a 1st! GO FLYERS!!

Oh yeah....thanks for Perezhogin. ..grumble. ;)

Congratulations Claudio on a well fought series. The best team won and wish you all the best for the journey to Lord Stanley. I hope you win so I don't feel bad losing against your team. :handclap:

HFNHL Red Wings

islanders said:
Congratulations Claudio on a well fought series. The best team won and wish you all the best for the journey to Lord Stanley. I hope you win so I don't feel bad losing against your team. :handclap:

Who is this imposter posing as the Isles GM? Hasnain would never be so diplomatic or graceful in defeat :dunno:

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
HFNHL Red Wings said:
Who is this imposter posing as the Isles GM? Hasnain would never be so diplomatic or graceful in defeat :dunno:

Must be the guy who was submitting line combinations for the Isles, since Hasnain wouldn't have let his bigger, more veteran team get pushed aorund like that! :shakehead

Just kidding, Hasnain - there's no rhyme or reason sometimes to the outcomes the sim generates - you should be proud, you had a terrific season, and you ran into a super-hot goaltender. Happens to the best teams (and seems to happen at least once a year, if not more - I wonder how happy the Kings feel right now, having had Jocelyn Thibault knock them out...).

Good luck in Round 2, Claudio!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->