Never Cancel the season ..until ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
People keep screaming about cancelling the season .. but I say keep working on a new CBA, keep playing all this BS negotiating tactics until they reach a new collective bargaining agreement ..

NEVER CANCEL THE SEASON ...UNTIL.... a new agreement is in place and then sit down take a week or two while all the 'T's" are being crossed and "I's" dotted to realize that any sort of season NOW based on current timing would lack any credibility at all .. Then make your announcement ..

If they call off the season then all this nonsense begins again in September, because from the second they announce the cancellation, there will be no further meetings until Sept 2005 and neither side will negotiate during a time that puts no pressure on either side Financially ..and we will be deep into next season and again deciding on if a part season has integrity after being out for a year and a half.

I say extend the summer .. We will have a new set of rules and guidelines and then teams can take the time to build proper teams and Spend wisely .. Teams like the Bruins that have so few players under contract, take the time to make wise UFA purchases and not hasty ones to get a 15 game season in.. Quick and hasty decisions often lead to bad ones, while proper planning and budgeting would make for a better NHL in the future ..

Also a shortened season destroys the integrity of the AHL and the Euro leagues ..Its bad enough they ruined the NHL this season, but at least let Fans have some peace now since they have been following other Hockey during this lockout .. No need to destroy hockey AROUND THE WORLD and on multiple levels ... Hold the June entry draft as usual and ....start play again with training camp in September ..

and pretend 2004-05 was just a bad dream .. and all this pain and suffering particularly from the fans will have meaning and have served a purpose.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
After a certain point though, they will both know it is too late. So an official word is probably not needed. I mean, if this goes into mid-March, without any cancellation.. I think we all know that its gone. And it wont matter anyways.

jratelle19

Jul 3, 2004
New York
and pretend 2004-05 was just a bad dream .. and all this pain and suffering particularly from the fans will have meaning and have served a purpose

Sorry, I can't pretend that this was only a bad dream. I am a diehard hockey fan, but I can get my hockey fix outside the NHL. If they wish to cancel this season, I will not forgive and I will not forget. I can then say that the NHL will never see a dime of my money again, and I will be at peace with that.

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005
The Messenger said:
If they call off the season then all this nonsense begins again in September, because from the second they announce the cancellation, there will be no further meetings until Sept 2005 and neither side will negotiate during a time that puts no pressure on either side Financially .....

All your points are very good ones. My gut feeling is if they cancel (or don't cancel) the season without a new CBA, the owners will declare an impasse and go right to rebuilding with replacements, they won't go in to another pending season without something in place, either way.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Brewleaguer said:
All your points are very good ones. My gut feeling is if they cancel (or don't cancel) the season without a new CBA, the owners will declare an impasse and go right to rebuilding with replacements, they won't go in to another pending season without something in place, either way.
Well an Impasse is not a given nor an easy thing with lots of complications ..

Also this was discussed , and should the owners go this route then its likely the NHLPA would put up picket lines and players would not cross ..

So back to square 1

Taranis_24

Jan 6, 2004
Visit site
The Messenger said:
Well an Impasse is not a given nor an easy thing with lots of complications ..

Also this was discussed , and should the owners go this route then its likely the NHLPA would put up picket lines and players would not cross ..

So back to square 1

I'd bet you right now that at least 200 of the 700 current members would cross the picket line, not right away but if the replacements are still playing at Thanksgiving you will see a lot of the players crossing.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
For all the owner supporters:

Are you willing to actually pay to see some ECHL/UHL bums play??

If I go watch replacements I would want the players paying me to watch some Tier III hockey.

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
i would watch the best talent available to me- and untill this afternoon i did not think the nhl would go the impasse route but the union rejecting the proposal as quick as they did has changed my mind-i now 100% believe that the union is looking out mainly for the top money players and goodenow's reputation and i sincerely hope the league goes the impasse route and puts the best team available on the the ice in the fall. it should be a sight to see with multimillionaire players walking a picket line in front of their arena-i'll dang sure cross it and give them the bird while i'm doing it! pronger -holik alfredsson and company holding a picket sign against the guys who have made them millionaires -they deserve to be nhl roadkill! today the nhl offered a 62% raise to league minimum and in a way watching out for the players that would actually need watching out for and the PA stuck it right in the trash probably without even showing it to the league reps and definitely not showing it to the whole membership--today pretty much confirmed what i already believed about the nhlpa and that is they are greedy bums-and if the NHL goes the way of the USFL it will be the players that have killed it- they and healy keep saying why should they have to fix what the owners have broken? well it is the owners that are trying to fix what they have broken and the players who have reaped the benefits of the last 10 years blocking the road. i've got a newsflash for any players that check these boards 55% of 2 billion is a heck of a lot more then 55% of nothing! either settle this thing reasonably or learn to speak german or whatever the language it is where you'll be playing. this makes me sick--these guys arguing over the breadcrumbs of 2 billion when soldiers are putting there lives on the line daily for a couple thousand a month--these guys are in a fantasy world and i am just about to the point where i am going to wash my hands of them and tell em all bon voyage amigos!

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
snakepliskin said:
today the nhl offered a 62% raise to league minimum and in a way watching out for the players that would actually need watching out for and the PA stuck it right in the trash probably without even showing it to the league reps and definitely not showing it to the whole membership

The change to the league minimum salary would affect about 2 players league-wide. No-one makes below $300 000. This is a total non-issue.

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
alot more than 2-one of our best players erik cole who has been with the team 3 yrs made around 165k last year-he signed a new deal after the year that would've paid him a mill plus this year if not for the cba war-he would have finally cashed in a little but has'nt seen a cent though he's made a little in the german elite league but i am sure there are other players like him whose rookie contracts were expiring and were due a big increase this year but have gotten hosed.

X0ssbar

OilerFan4Life said:
For all the owner supporters:

Are you willing to actually pay to see some ECHL/UHL bums play??

In a word - Yes.

mackdogs*

Brewleaguer said:
Off topic... but is your avatar a Detroit Red Wings condom?? Or am I seeing things?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->