NES/SNES Classic Editions

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Games like Ghosts 'n' Goblins, Ninja Gaiden and Battletoads are why state saving is so useful and one of the best features of many emulators. That's where you can create a "savegame" from the contents of memory, no matter where you are in the game, even in the middle of a level or a boss fight, which the vast majority of NES games don't normally allow. It's sort of cheating, but it's more fun to see all of the game (including levels that you've never seen) and not get so frustrated than it is giving up and never finishing it.

Unfortunately, I doubt that the emulator in this mini-NES will offer state saving. It'd sure be nice if it did, though, especially since Ghosts 'n' Goblins and Ninja Gaiden are included. That's one big benefit to building your own box. EDIT: Never mind. I'm been corrected on the fact that this box does have state saving, which is a huge relief.

Last edited:

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
Unfortunately, I doubt that the emulator in this mini-NES will offer state saving. It'd sure be nice if it did, though, especially since Ghosts 'n' Goblins and Ninja Gaiden are included. That's one big benefit to building your own box.

Pretty sure save states are enabled.

The games are identical to the original cartridge versions, but for one very important update - save states. Nintendo said: "Players needn't worry about losing any hard-earned progress either as each game has multiple suspend points, allowing them to start where they left off at a later time, no passwords needed."

Source: http://www.wired.co.uk/article/nintendos-classic-mini-brings-back-nes-masterpieces

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

That's great. Thanks for that. I'm not sure if that language from Nintendo means the save state ability that I'm thinking of (where you can literally save anywhere and at any time), since they call them "multiple suspend points," but at least there will be some enhancements to make saving easier. In a way, I'm a bit surprised, since I might've expected Nintendo to offer a pure experience as close to the original experience, but, now that I think about it, lots of those included games relied on save codes, and those are a huge pain, so I can understand why Nintendo chose to implement a workaround for that.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Ninja Gaiden is one of the hardest games ever. Same goes for Battletoads.

Ninja Gaiden is really hard at first but not that hard to master. Ninja Gaiden III is far worse IMO, it was made harder for North America.

Although this is true for most NES games.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
That's great. Thanks for that. I'm not sure if that language from Nintendo means the save state ability that I'm thinking of (where you can literally save anywhere and at any time), since they call them "multiple suspend points," but at least there will be some enhancements to make saving easier. In a way, I'm a bit surprised, since I might've expected Nintendo to offer a pure experience as close to the original experience, but, now that I think about it, lots of those included games relied on save codes, and those are a huge pain, so I can understand why Nintendo chose to implement a workaround for that.

I have no reason to believe otherwise. Suspend point is basically the same thing as save states where you save at any place and the file remains there, and this is based on the feature that they have in their Virtual Console games.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I have no reason to believe otherwise. Suspend point is basically the same thing as save states where you save at any place and the file remains there, and this is based on the feature that they have in their Virtual Console games.

Ok. I'd just never heard of the "suspend point" terminology and haven't ever used the Virtual Console. I should've thought of that, though, since that's been making NES games available for that for years before this mini console, so they had to have solved the save issue already. Thanks.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The ability to add any game makes it a lot more appealing. Still, the 3ft controller cords and having to hit the Reset button every time that you want to switch games or load a save state are huge turn-offs to me. Perhaps hackers can hack in "Home" functionality from the controller (ex. make it so that simultaneously pressing Select and Start performs a reset) and 3rd parties could market extension cords (unless they already exist, which is quite possible, since it appears to just be the Wii interconnect). It'll be an easy purchase for me if those things can be solved.

Last edited:

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
The ability to add any game makes it a lot more appealing. Still, the 3ft controller cords and having to hit the Reset button every time that you want to switch games or load a save state are huge turn-offs. Perhaps hackers can hack in "Home" functionality (ex. make it so that pressing Select and Start performs a reset) and 3rd parties could market extension cords (heck, they might already exist, especially since it appears to just be the Wii interconnect).

Just build a Raspberry Pi. The case, board, AC adapter cost about the same as the mini NES, the micro SD will add up $40 for a 128 GB (which is overkill), but you can emulate other systems, it has Bluetooth and Wifi, and can support 360/Xbone/DS3/DS4 controllers, along with the ones that look like SNES (wired or wireless).

N64 games a bit hit or miss, but MK 64 runs well, and it does Genesis/NES/SNES just fine. Downside with using DS3/DS4 over Bluetooth, is that it disables the standard Bluetooth stack.

And you can run Kodi with them as well.

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki

The key thing I found though, is that when setting up Retropie for the first time, do not have a USB keyboard plugged in, if the controls get mapped to the keyboard, they'll never get set correctly within the emulators, even after re-mapping them in emulation station (the GUI frontend).

Also, the keyboard keymapping is set to UK by default, caused all sorts of issues initially with my wifi key that has lots of symbols in it. (but the key can be read from a text file).

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Raspberry Pi is obviously the better setup, and I can only imagine Nintendo feels the same way considering how they've gone about stocking their own product.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
The Retro Pie is so good and easy to set up. I have every NES, Genesis, SNES, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and a few hundred GBA games. I have a 32GB microSD card in it and not even 8gb is taken up. It has trouble running some N64 games but I wasn't looking to really play much of those anyway. I'm having fun with my insanely huge retro library as is.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
I'm too lazy to build my own Pi system. Plus, there's just something about having an official Nintendo system playing these old school games.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yeah the point of this system is probably more to cash in on the nostalgia factor for people who used to play Nintendo but don't really game anymore. Anyone who's really into retro gaming will be able to find much better setups.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Just build a Raspberry Pi. The case, board, AC adapter cost about the same as the mini NES, the micro SD will add up $40 for a 128 GB (which is overkill), but you can emulate other systems, it has Bluetooth and Wifi, and can support 360/Xbone/DS3/DS4 controllers, along with the ones that look like SNES (wired or wireless).

Yeah, I know. I've been planning on building one eventually, but there's also something appealing about an authentic, cute-looking replica and supporting Nintendo (for finally putting out a device that I've asked for for decades), as well.

Also, I'm keeping my little nephew in mind. I might buy one for him, since it's a perfect gift and a homebrew Pi with unlicensed games is totally out of the question as a gift. Even what I buy for myself might eventually get played by him, and it's a little more easily explained to his parents if it's somewhat authentic, so that's something to factor in.

Last edited:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Ive said it before in this thread but the tiny cord on the controller is a complete deal breaker for me.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I got lucky and nabbed one of these last week, was on the Best Buy site for less than a minute before it sold out again.

Already have a controller extension on the way as well.

Never modded anything before, but this seems like a fairly easy entry point. Planning on turning it into a NES/SNES box. Gonna pick up an original SNES controller to play the SNES games, a SNES -> Wii adapter should be able to make it work from what I've read. Love the idea of switching from real NES/SNES controllers depending on what game I'm playing.

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
It's being discontinued for the rest of the year. Yes, really. :facepalm:

A Nintendo representative provided the following statement to IGN:

“Throughout April, NOA territories will receive the last shipments of Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition systems for this year. We encourage anyone interested in obtaining this system to check with retail outlets regarding availability. We understand that it has been difficult for many consumers to find a system, and for that we apologize. We have paid close attention to consumer feedback, and we greatly appreciate the incredible level of consumer interest and support for this product.â€

Additionally, a representative told IGN, “NES Classic Edition wasn’t intended to be an ongoing, long-term product. However, due to high demand, we did add extra shipments to our original plans.†The company has no plans to produce more NES Classic systems for North America. This announcement includes the discontinuation of the NES Classic Controller. As for third party accessories, Nintendo said the decision whether or not to continue production of accessories will be up to each individual manufacturer.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04/13/nintendo-discontinues-the-nes-classic-edition

Glad I was able to get one on launch day without much issue. Feel bad for anyone who hasn't been able to get one, though. This whole thing has been nothing but a series of monumentally dumb decisions on Nintendo's part. And just watch, now all the scalper prices will be through the roof.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad