Negativity Thread

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I want to be optimistic for this team. But it seems whenever there's a beam of light poking through the cracks, it's gone right when you start gaining hope and now you find yourself disappointed all over again. It's just so frustrating and disheartening.

This is just called being a Blues fan.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Stepping away from the on-fire garbage can that is the team currently, I’m not anywhere near as high on the forward prospects as many others on here. I think you’ve got, at absolute best, two top-6 guys in Kyrou and Thomas then a bunch of middle/bottom 6 guys. Even those two have some pretty significant question marks (as do most prospects in fairness.) And while there is value to having prospects like Thompson and Sanford, I don’t get the hype for most of these guys.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
We’re going to end up with the 11th pick, and we all know it.

Being the Blues, I’m expecting the Hawks to go on a little hot streak. On April 6, we’ll be starting Jake Allen and he’ll give up the short side 3 times in the 3rd to blow a 2 goal lead and let the Hawks pass us in the standings, putting us in 10th and them in 11th. We’ll follow it up with a tank job against Colorado to lock in our position and hand them the 8 seed.

Boy, will we will be ecstatic about this turn of fate, right up until the time one of the ping pong balls takes a funky bounce, and the Hawks get the #1 pick to take Dahlin.

Is that negative enough?

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
We’re going to end up with the 11th pick, and we all know it.

Being the Blues, I’m expecting the Hawks to go on a little hot streak. On April 6, we’ll be starting Jake Allen and he’ll give up the short side 3 times in the 3rd to blow a 2 goal lead and let the Hawks pass us in the standings, putting us in 10th and them in 11th. We’ll follow it up with a tank job against Colorado to lock in our position and hand them the 8 seed.

Boy, will we will be ecstatic about this turn of fate, right up until the time one of the ping pong balls takes a funky bounce, and the Hawks get the #1 pick to take Dahlin.

Is that negative enough?
That's pretty damn good.

hullderko

Apr 21, 2015
Blues press conferences and interviews suck. Petrangelo very smug in interviews. The team does not need a smug negative captain at this point. To contrast, watch Jetstv. Press asks smart hockey questions and the coach gives interesting answers and perspective. Jets and press are excited about having Stastny and about winning. Yeo and Blues sound like deflated quitters in comparison.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
As others have said already, what annoys me about this team is the easy way they brush off disasters without much emotion. It’s like they are going through the motions on ice and simply regurgitating canned media responses after the game. No heart, no fire, no fight....and it shows.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
As others have said already, what annoys me about this team is the easy way they brush off disasters without much emotion. It’s like they are going through the motions on ice and simply regurgitating canned media responses after the game. No heart, no fire, no fight....and it shows.

What should they say or do to satisfy you that they have heart? People always get mad when players give clichéd responses, but what else are you going to say. You can't throw your coaches, teammates, GM under the bus. Clichéd responses are clichéd because that is about all players are allowed to say with out being roasted....except they get roasted for being clichéd. Do you want Petro to say "f*** this shit. I am sick of this. You want to know why we lost? Yeo is f***ing moron who can't run a powerplay to save his life, Allen is a basket case and I'm so worried about him being a basket case that I'm a basket case. I need a partner who can push someone out of the crease and they keep partnering me with that creepy guy who does my taxes. Our GM trades away all our RHS for over-paid third liners who can only play LW. And we are a mid-market team so unless we get lucky in the draft, we are basically screwed from the jump." He'd be gone the next off-season/trade deadline.

Oshie spoke his mind and said Hitch had lost the room. He got shipped out the next opportunity and has the stigma of being a locker room cancer among some. So players that show emotion get lambasted too.

What did Backes ever say to be such a great captain and leader? Show me one play-off loss exit interview where Backes ever said something real besides crying and saying it wasn't good enough. Do you want Petro to cry? Will that convince you he cares?

You want to know what's clichéd? An whiny, entitled fan fan who doesn't know enough about the team or sport to recognize the real faults laying the blame on heart. That is clichéd as anything. So your favorite team didn't make the playoffs? So what, put on your big boy britches and deal with it. Roughly half the hockey fans in the world go through that. That doesn't mean the players don't care because they are not risking their jobs to throw a temper tantrum.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
To get completely fatalistic and pessimistic, I am 25 and I don't think the Blues will win a championship in my lifetime. I resigned myself to that fact a couple years ago after the succession of failures in the first round (I am too young to truly appreciate the Yzerman goal or even the choke job to the Sharks, though I remember the puck being thrown in the net vividly.) They're well on their way to pissing away the primes of Schwartz/Tarasenko/Pietrangelo which has been the best chance for them to win in a long while. Obviously a lot remains to be seen at this point but after those 3 move on or become less effective there could be some lean years in the not so distant future. I want desperately for them to succeed so I'll be there every spring hoping it will be different but knowing they exist to let us all down. They, as we all will, will be crushed under the unfeeling heel of time and they will do so without winning a cup.

Go Blues.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
To get completely fatalistic and pessimistic, I am 25 and I don't think the Blues will win a championship in my lifetime. I resigned myself to that fact a couple years ago after the succession of failures in the first round (I am too young to truly appreciate the Yzerman goal or even the choke job to the Sharks, though I remember the puck being thrown in the net vividly.) They're well on their way to pissing away the primes of Schwartz/Tarasenko/Pietrangelo which has been the best chance for them to win in a long while. Obviously a lot remains to be seen at this point but after those 3 move on or become less effective there could be some lean years in the not so distant future. I want desperately for them to succeed so I'll be there every spring hoping it will be different but knowing they exist to let us all down. They, as we all will, will be crushed under the unfeeling heel of time and they will do so without winning a cup.

Go Blues.

Imagine what @Robb_K feels. He has only few years left.

Ok that was bad joke.

Reactions: The Note

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
What should they say or do to satisfy you that they have heart? People always get mad when players give clichéd responses, but what else are you going to say. You can't throw your coaches, teammates, GM under the bus. Clichéd responses are clichéd because that is about all players are allowed to say with out being roasted....except they get roasted for being clichéd. Do you want Petro to say "**** this ****. I am sick of this. You want to know why we lost? Yeo is ****ing moron who can't run a powerplay to save his life, Allen is a basket case and I'm so worried about him being a basket case that I'm a basket case. I need a partner who can push someone out of the crease and they keep partnering me with that creepy guy who does my taxes. Our GM trades away all our RHS for over-paid third liners who can only play LW. And we are a mid-market team so unless we get lucky in the draft, we are basically screwed from the jump." He'd be gone the next off-season/trade deadline.

Oshie spoke his mind and said Hitch had lost the room. He got shipped out the next opportunity and has the stigma of being a locker room cancer among some. So players that show emotion get lambasted too.

What did Backes ever say to be such a great captain and leader? Show me one play-off loss exit interview where Backes ever said something real besides crying and saying it wasn't good enough. Do you want Petro to cry? Will that convince you he cares?

I agree with your entire sentiment but personally I thought Backes was a better leader because of what he did on the ice, certainly not in interviews, those were the same as any players. I for one do not think he would have handled Benn sitting on him and using his face as a prop to get up. Backes probably would have taken a penalty but it would have been obvious that he doesn't put up with that shit.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I agree with your entire sentiment but personally I thought Backes was a better leader because of what he did on the ice, certainly not in interviews, those were the same as any players. I for one do not think he would have handled Benn sitting on him and using his face as a prop to get up. Backes probably would have taken a penalty but it would have been obvious that he doesn't put up with that ****.

They are different players though. You can't say Pietrangelo is not a leader or has no heart because he didn't start a fight. Sometimes it takes more courage, heart and leadership to turn the other cheek and show restraint than to do something stupid and take a penalty in a critical time of a important game.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
They are different players though. You can't say Pietrangelo is not a leader or has no heart because he didn't start a fight. Sometimes it takes more courage, heart and leadership to turn the other cheek and show restraint than to do something stupid and take a penalty in a critical time of a important game.

I don't disagree with that. I think Pietrangelo has 'heart' and I think that it shows during games just in different ways than Backes did.

I just don't think it's good that essentially nothing happened after the Benn incident and it gives the impression that the Blues can be bullied and pushed around. I'd like to see more of an edge. And when I say more of an edge I'm not talking about bringing back Ryan Reaves and fighting. I don't give a shit about fighting. I want to see the players we currently have get in someone's face and let them know we don't stand for that kind of stuff which Schenn kind of did.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn

haha

I could agree with that if Pietrangelo had gotten in a unnecessary fight in December. It's way way way past playing smart for the sake of points. More to that point, it's not like Benn had been assessed a penalty and Pietrangelo responding would have evened things up. The refs didn't see anything wrong with Benn sitting on Pietrangelo, or rubbing his face in the ice. Benn didn't see anything wrong with it. Evidently Pietrangelo didn't see anything wrong with it either.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
haha

I could agree with that if Pietrangelo had gotten in a unnecessary fight in December. It's way way way past playing smart for the sake of points. More to that point, it's not like Benn had been assessed a penalty and Pietrangelo responding would have evened things up. The refs didn't see anything wrong with Benn sitting on Pietrangelo, or rubbing his face in the ice. Benn didn't see anything wrong with it. Evidently Pietrangelo didn't see anything wrong with it either.

First, Petro has no majors this year, so not sure how he got into a fight. Even if he did get into some scuffle, they are different situations. One is in December while comfortably in a play-off position. The other you have 16 games left, are 4 points out and are tied with the team whose playoff spot you are chasing. You are right about one thing, the refs didn't see anything wrong with it. If Pietrangelo would have retaliated, he would have gotten the sole penalty. Pietrangelo has less than 200 PIM in 600 games. Just because he fought one time in December doesn't make him a fighter. Getting an instigator to start a fight he wasn't going to win in a tie game would have been dumb. His game is to beat them on the ice not beat them up on the ice. Let Thorburn or somebody goon it up if needed. He laid there to get the penalty. He walked away when he realized he wasn't getting one. He made the right call, the refs didn't.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Maybe Pietrangelo can use that as an example for the team to rally around him as the Captain.

"Listen boys. Yes it's true Benn farted on my face and laughed about it. Yes it's true he then made me kiss the ice until I said uncle. Yes it's true I wasn't even really mad about it. Now let's go out there tonight and rally around my passiveness by making sure we don't take penalties even if we're physically humiliated!!!! Who's with me??!!??"

u5iO662.jpg

c5mg1fpc7mj01.jpg

Last edited:

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Disclaimer, And I know it makes no sense at all.

I would be perfectly fin it Vegas wins a cup this year....... But it would piss me off if Nashville did, I do not hate Nashville, or any of their players really. Its like their fans have not suffered enough yet, but I cool with Vegas. I think I have a tumor or something.

Thallis

Progression is not linear
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Maybe Pietrangelo can use that as an example for the team to rally around him as the Captain.

"Listen boys. Yes it's true Benn farted on my face and laughed about it. Yes it's true he then made me kiss the ice until I said uncle. Yes it's true I wasn't even really mad about it. Now let's go out there tonight and rally around my passiveness by making sure we don't take penalties even if we're physically humiliated!!!! Who's with me??!!??"

The NHL isn't what you think it is. If you think that exchange has any bearing on quality of a captain then I don't think anything productive can come from a conversation with you.

Reactions: Majorityof1

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
The NHL isn't what you think it is. If you think that exchange has any bearing on quality of a captain then I don't think anything productive can come from a conversation with you.

So Captains lead by getting farted on. That makes sense.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Ah, so the great Captains take a ton of penalties and fight, right? Perrenial top-10 lady Byng candidate Steve Yzerman must have been a terrible captain. Sakic won the damn thing, so he must have been horrific. Gretzky can't have been a good captain as he only had 2 fights in his career. Ottawa needs to strip the C from Karlsson and ship his ass out for peanuts post haste. Zero career fights, for shame. We need more great historic captains like Chris Thorburn, Kelly Chase and Marty McSorley. Those are the guys who were legendary captains that led their teams to greatness.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Ah, so the great Captains take a ton of penalties and fight, right? Perrenial top-10 lady Byng candidate Steve Yzerman must have been a terrible captain. Sakic won the damn thing, so he must have been horrific. Gretzky can't have been a good captain as he only had 2 fights in his career. Ottawa needs to strip the C from Karlsson and ship his ass out for peanuts post haste. Zero career fights, for shame. We need more great historic captains like Chris Thorburn, Kelly Chase and Marty McSorley. Those are the guys who were legendary captains that led their teams to greatness.

You're creating your own argument.

I never called for Pietrangelo to turn into Chase and fight every game. There's time and place for everything. Pietrangelo should have started beating Benn's face in the second he got up. That's my opinion. It's ok if you don't think so.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
You're creating your own argument.

I never called for Pietrangelo to turn into Chase and fight every game. There's time and place for everything. Pietrangelo should have started beating Benn's face in the second he got up. That's my opinion. It's ok if you don't think so.

People have been questioning his heart and leadership because of what their opinion on what he should have done in that moment and a lot of potentially mistaken assumptions. As if that one moment defines everything. There are ways to lead, even in that situation, without fighting. I pointed out several leaders who very rarely fought. A few of which had teammates that made their careers specifically out of fighting anyone who touched their captain. That is what Thorburn is for. Thorburn just happened to be booted out already. JBO was technically out for the game too. If Petro got the boot for retaliation, we would have been down 3 men and two of our biggest minute munching D. Petro played 31+ minutes. That's leadership, playing half the game when you have a man down and you are tired and sore. Leadership is not getting in a pissing match you know you are going to lose. We ended up losing anyway, but Petro fighting there would have sealed it much earlier.

Reactions: AVictoryDive

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I don't want a bunch of knuckle dragging savages on the team who just want to start/pick fights. On the flip side I also don't want the team to lay over and let stuff such as (but not limited to) the Benn incident.

I don't want to replace Pietrangleo as captain or anything like that. This isn't about changing the roster to a bunch of chest beating bros to start scrums. I want to the players we currently have to stand up for him. They've done it in the past.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Imagine what @Robb_K feels. He has only few years left.

Ok that was bad joke.

Why do you say that? Do you know of a plot to murder me??? My father lived to 94, my mother to 86, but, she probably could have lived to 100 if she hadn't been agoraphobic, and just lain in bed for her last 7 years. My father's mother was 97, and still walking 3 miles a day, never having been in a hospital bed in her life. She was completely healthy and could have lasted another 10 years +. My father's father also lived into his 90s (92). My Mother's mother also lived to 94, and her father was 87. I am going on 73, and can still run fast, still can lift 55 kilos over my head, and lift weights every day. I haven't required any medicine (so far-thank goodness). Unless I run in front of a train, bus or tram, I should last, at least, another 20 years, or so. But, I suppose that The Blues could easily go another 20 without winning The Stanley Cup, or even get into The Finals. But, I can and do still hope they will. :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->