Need some assistance getting a steady Ping...

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
So... Right now I have AT&T for my home internet. We have the gigapower and the speeds are fantastic. However, I have a serious issue with my ping constantly being all over the board. One minute I will be at 12ms and the next it will be 150ms. It makes it hard to enjoy FPS casually, let alone competitively.

I have had AT&T come out to work on some stuff and they even replaced the router. Nothing was fixed. Everything that I have read online for fixes is a bit out of my league. They lose me after the 3rd bullet point.

Unfortunately, because I live in a brand new neighborhood, AT&T and Hughesnet :laugh: are the only providers in my area. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Second issue is that some how my PS4 has the same IP address as my router? When I look at the devices, both are assigned to the same IP address. We have a regular internet setting as well as 5.0 and the 5.0 is the one with the same IP address.

Any suggestions on fixing either of these issues?

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Plug straight into your modem and do a "ping -t www.google.com" in command line. If it's still all over the place then you have verified that your router or in house wiring is not the problem.... well, could still be the modem at that point.

Hughesnet is satellite right? Not good for gaming and ping will always be bad. I just went through this same exact issue with Comcast and it took weeks for me to convince them they had some bad networking gear between me and the internet somewhere.

They eventually fixed something on a line down the road from me (I can only guess it was damaged where the connection wasn't good but wasn't so bad they probably didn't see it right away) and everything has been great since then.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Plug straight into your modem and do a "ping -t www.google.com" in command line. If it's still all over the place then you have verified that your router or in house wiring is not the problem.... well, could still be the modem at that point.

Hughesnet is satellite right? Not good for gaming and ping will always be bad. I just went through this same exact issue with Comcast and it took weeks for me to convince them they had some bad networking gear between me and the internet somewhere.

They eventually fixed something on a line down the road from me (I can only guess it was damaged where the connection wasn't good but wasn't so bad they probably didn't see it right away) and everything has been great since then.

I'll bring my work laptop home to give it a try as my macbook air doesn't have a port. I guess we can go from there.

And yeah, Hughesnet is ass. I was looking into it last night and some people had Ping in the 500's. :laugh:

Chubbinz

Nov 1, 2016
Is it worse at specific times or is it constantly bad? Like the above plug in directly and see if that helps. With the wifi do you know if you are connecting to wifi on a 2.4ghz or 5ghz channel? If you have a lot of neighbors nearby all running 2.4 it can chew up the spectrum and cause lots of connection issues. 5ghz has more channels and a shorter range so it doesn't tend to interfere as much but it's possible to still get interference there. Also do you have any wireless devices that DO NOT connect to your router like wireless security cameras, or wireless surround sound systems etc?

In addition to using ping which will check fluctuations you can use another command called traceroute to look at the path between you and a domain. If using a windows machine open command prompt and type in the following command: tracert www.google.com on a Mac open the terminal and type traceroute www.google.com If you know the IP address or domain name of the problem sites run a traceroute to them as well. I won't go into all the boring technical crap with traceroute but basically what you are looking for is the first hop that your ping jumps up to the high levels. Since that is a fiber conection you should be seeing a ping less than 20ms within AT&T's network ideally around 9-15ms. Any of the domains with att in them that have high pings you should screen shot it to email in and then call tech support and give them the hop with the high ping. Odds are they won't do shit about it but at least you tried.

For your question about the IP address with the router, can you expand on that a little more? If the PS4 and the default gateway of the router shared an IP you would lose all connectivity whenever the ps4 was on. I'm not picking up what you are putting down with that one.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Some other tips:

When you say your ping is all over the place, how are you tracking it? If it's an in-game ping then your ping speed is going to be first of all dependent on the location of the game server, and secondly could be affected by any performance issues at the game server or their network end.

Also are you measuring ping on the PS4 or a computer? If a computer then it's easy to leave a cmd window ping running and see if the OS ping reflects what you're seeing in-game. It's best to ping the specific game servers if you know their address.

Is your PS4 hardwired to the router, or are you using WiFi for your network connection?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad