Need some advice for my brother...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
This isn't really advice for me, but for my little brother. He's 16 and quit playing for Team Ontario (baseball) early last summer in thinking he'd make the OHL draft and from her on he'd focus solely on perfecting his play as a goalie. Unfortunately, he went undrafted. He went from being the top goalie in the [ill league the leage name out] to oblivion. His team's coach quit half way through the season in his draft year, and his team absolutely fell apart to the point he couldn't carry them anymore; he especially couldn't look good for scouts in the home stetch and got blown out by Tavare's team in the 1st round (but who wouldnt? lol)

So yeah, now he's absolutely just destroyed. He decided to stick it out in the league again hoping to turn some heads instead of playing Junior B, and unfortunately that hasn't worked out either. His confidence has just been shattered since the draft and hasn't put in the effort he used to, and definately isn't playing like he should. The kid had a nervous breakdown at 2am last night guys.

Now he has an option of going out to play for St John in the QMJHL but he doesn't want to leave home. His reasoning is he doesn't want to ruin his college eligibility, but I think he doesn't want to leave his girlfriend either (or his friend's he's had since he was 4). Though he does make a good point about college though; his confidence is so low that he doesn't think he'd do much their either.

What should he do?
Personally I think he should go to St John and see what they think first before writing them off. Maybe play Junior B next year and hope to pull a Marty Turco? He's a 6'3" reflex goalie, that's got to be worth something!

I dunno. My parents put so much pressure on him and he doesn't know what to do anymore, his sports career has just gone to pieces in the last year and I need some advice for when I talk to him.

Anything guys? thanks. :shakehead

aerialis

Oct 7, 2005
toronto & pittsburgh
i don't have experience in the matter, but i suppose it would depend on whether just going to tryout with the Q team voids his eligibility or not. personally i'd go the college route..

the hockey is getting much better and you get an education out of it to boot (although CHL leagues will also pay for you to go to school after, depending on how long you played ie: 1 year of Q = they pay for 1 year of university, 2 years of Q = 2 years college, etc etc. and you can play again for the CIS varsity team)

either way, you should just support whatever he ends up wanting to do, i guess there isnt much more you can do anyway

btw, 6'3" is a fantastic physical size for a goalie, although i'm actually kind of surprised he's a reflex goalie instead of a blocker.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
the tryout shouldnt void anything since theres no contract or anything, and he wouldnt be "pro". its just a chance for him to showcase and hopefully they like him enough. he'd rather have a walk-on with an OHL team but so far we havnt found anything yet..

i agree that college is the best route. he's so stressed out about that though cuz he wants to get a scholarship to make our dad happy but at the same time he thinks its impossible at this point.

as far as his type, he's standup, i may be wrong in assessing him but i always saw him as a reflex guy. kinda reminds me of Kipper with his glove hand (playing baseball at the national level really helped that).

whats the best way to go about getting college scouts to notice you? junior B for next year? or..?

KariyaIsGod*

Metallian said:
the tryout shouldnt void anything since theres no contract or anything, and he wouldnt be "pro". its just a chance for him to showcase and hopefully they like him enough. he'd rather have a walk-on with an OHL team but so far we havnt found anything yet..

i agree that college is the best route. he's so stressed out about that though cuz he wants to get a scholarship to make our dad happy but at the same time he thinks its impossible at this point.

as far as his type, he's standup, i may be wrong in assessing him but i always saw him as a reflex guy. kinda reminds me of Kipper with his glove hand (playing baseball at the national level really helped that).

whats the best way to go about getting college scouts to notice you? junior B for next year? or..?

I'm not sure if you can do this for hockey but for football, a lot of Colleges accept videotapes that are designed to showcase an athlete.

You could always make one of those and send them out.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Dont let the GF or friends get in the way. It happened to me with the GF. trust me when i say that. Hockey comes first if u wanna get to the next level.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
DrMoses said:
I'm not sure if you can do this for hockey but for football, a lot of Colleges accept videotapes that are designed to showcase an athlete.

You could always make one of those and send them out.

we were doing that today. got a few great saves (he faced like 6 breakaways in the game, his D is beyond brutal). it's like watching MAF in Pittsburgh. the only problem is he got shelled in the 3rd...he always falls apart in the 3rd this season...man his confidence is gonna reach new lows...this bites :shakehead

shaner89 said:
Dont let the GF or friends get in the way. It happened to me with the GF. trust me when i say that. Hockey comes first if u wanna get to the next level.

yeah, thats what my parents are most worried about. he denies its a factor but he's lying.

Towmater14

Sep 17, 2005
OIL COUNTRY
shaner89 said:
Being in the same boat, I agree. He is only 16 and has many years to go back to college but...he will only be 16 once. To be a great goalie the guy has to be a rock. I say put it all out on the line and give 100% and if he does not make it atleast he did not make it! He wont be thinking(like I am) for the rest of his life, what could have been. I am now 32 years old and regret everyday that I didn't persue my real love...hockey. At 16, women come and go and to be honest, I regret staying with the same girl for all the best years of my life as well. And well... true friends are friends for life.

shorre

Jan 4, 2006
oakville , ontario
I was in a similiar situation when i was younger . i made a jr B team when i was 15 .my team at the time had 4 imports from toledo , ohio.so the coach of my jr b team and the coach from the toldeo team thought it would be better for me to go to Ohio because it would be a good experience and id get more playin time.i didnt wanna leave either so what did i do , i quit the jr b team and didnt go to the states and ended up playin on the triple A midget that was terrible.i lost all my ambition and i look back now i wish i would have went for the experince and for what ever doors it may have opened.you should always take a chance if u really want something badly , chances like that only come once and then the doors close .Im 34 now play in a mens league and still to this day nothin makes me happier then playin hockey , and who knows if i went of gone to states i may still be involved in the game today .

aerialis

Oct 7, 2005
toronto & pittsburgh
"we were doing that today. got a few great saves (he faced like 6 breakaways in the game, his D is beyond brutal). it's like watching MAF in Pittsburgh. the only problem is he got shelled in the 3rd...he always falls apart in the 3rd this season.. "

no one has to know about the 3rd period ;)

it could be helpful to look up who the coaches are at the schools you want to go to, send them hockey-style cover letters, or try to get an interview/ phone conversation.

if he went to college, would he want to play D1 level hockey?

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
well he's going to the "big" college scouting camp in Ohio this summer. we'll look into the coaches too, good idea.

i have no idea how he'd respond to D1. if he didn't get a scholarship then we wouldnt be able to afford to send him to the states, and the CIS is definately too low of an option (if that was the case then he'll just go play in the QMJHL)

NJDevs430

Jun 9, 2002
Visit site
Metallian said:
well he's going to the "big" college scouting camp in Ohio this summer...
Good luck to him...I hope he makes it. I think going to college would be the best route, too. If he has a natural talent, it would be a shame to waste it.
}:)>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad