need input on Bauer Vapour XXX skates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat

Oct 3, 2005
Trois-Rivières
hey guys, I`m almost sold on those skates...but I heard some pros and cons. I`ve searched on the net, but didn`t find anything that`s worth consideration.
so, if someone who has those skates give me a heads up. the good and the bad

thanks

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Had some holder issues when they came out being bent/off center. Light, narrow, perform well assuming the Holder is on properly, but break down quickly.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
It depends on how much money you have, your competition and how good you are as well as your style. The durability on these skates are not great by any means. I've had a pair since last Christmas and they really have broken down but nothing major yet. A lot of my teammates with them have broken the holders on them, a common problem with the XXs as well, but I've been fortunate so far with no such bad luck (I was hurt instead lol, which is even worse, but now I probably jinxed myself, I know it, im going to break the blade on them this weekend and I'll be so mad because of HFBoards.) Anyways, they are a very amazing skate as I had Vector Pros before and in my mind there is no comparison. They are extremely lightweight, very comfortable, and they allow you to move your feet much quicker. One thing though, they do affect the way you skate. Several players that I play with or against that switched to them had a bit of a difference in their skating style. It's a stiff skate which naturally does that to you but if you're a good skater it will only make you better. I've had Grafs, other Vapors, and Vector Pros and the XXXs are the best skates I've ever had, its just unfortunate that they have relatively poor durability. If you're a physical player who's in teh corners a lot and is hitting and you're up against the boards battling, I wouldn't reccomend these, but if you're a skilled player who uses speed and plays a finess game without intense grinding along the boards (where the skates with hit the boards and chip away some stuff on them), then go for them, I don't think you coudl find a better skate.

Good=extremely lightweight, seemed to increase the power in my stride and made it much easier to skate faster with longer strides, less resistance it felt as well, comfortable, good looking skate lol.
Bad=not very good durability at all.

I hope that helps you out.

Pat

Oct 3, 2005
Trois-Rivières
thanx guys for the info, gives me more of a heads up now.

I`d describe myself as a good skater who likes the occasional bumping in the corners. I play alot of hockey both inside and outside.. but I`m not that heavy, I weigh 180. maybe that`s a lesser load for the holders? I`m not that much of a power skater, I`m more of a light natural skater.

thanx

Last edited:

crosby_87

Jun 22, 2005
I have also heard a lot of people say that they like Vapor XX's better then XXX's. So maybe that would be something to look into also. I think the XX's might last you longer and are basically just as light.

TheLokNesMonster

Sep 11, 2005
St. Paul, Minnesota
I bought a pair 3 months ago.

I play fairly competitive rec league once a week and maybe a pick up game every other week so durability really hasn't been a concern. They actually still look new except for a slight cut on the boot where some ape gashed me.

They broke in fairly fast. I had them heated. I usually buy my skates tight, 2 sizes under my shoe, still they are pretty comfortable for a skate.

They are light as hell. If you are slow you won't be as slow. If you are fast, you'll be really fast.

They look cool. In my opinion, they are cosmetically superior to every skate on the market, but who other than me cares about that?

I paid 480.00 for them but I can afford it and I wanted them so what the hell.

I recommend them because you can't beat a lightweight skate. It is the single most important piece of equipment in your arsenal and you shouldn't compromise just because they are expensive. They will make a very noticeable difference for a player at ANY level...

Pat

Oct 3, 2005
Trois-Rivières
I`m with you TheLokNesMonster. I also think the "look" of a skate is part of the package. and yes, I think to that the XXX are the best looking skates on the market. ;)
anywho, thanx for the heads up. you guys are making my choice easier and easier by the post.
keep posting messages like that...I`m 95% sold on those already ;)

Pensfan86

Mar 18, 2002
Steel City(Pittsburgh)
Visit site
I have these skates and have found myself extremely happy. Truthfully though, there is not a major difference with these ones and my Vapor XX's, but regardless, they are very nice, light as all hell, and they look sweet, which definitely is key.

Ozolinsh_27

Apr 1, 2005
I got these this fall after 8 years in Grafs. I've only skated in them a few times because of a sprained ankle, but I can tell the big difference in the boot already. It feels as if less energy is expended in turning than in a Graf 700 series skate. Its probably the boot, as it is more one piece/stiffer than the Graf skates I have.. I take it the leather in my skates lose a bit of energy transfer to strides.

I've never been hard on skates, so I don't expect durability to be an issue. I guess it only really is if you skate 5-6 times a week and/or play a grinding, rough style.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
PanthersRule said:
If you're a physical player who's in teh corners a lot and is hitting and you're up against the boards battling, I wouldn't reccomend these.

I have to dissagree here. I've had my XXX's since April and they are holding up great. I'm exactly this type of player, and since I'm playing College hockey I am on the ice alot. I beat the hell out of my skates and these seem to be holding up just as well as anything else I've had.

Break in time is virtually non existant and it fits my foot like a glove. Best skates I've ever owned.

Pat

Oct 3, 2005
Trois-Rivières
Toonces said:
I have to dissagree here. I've had my XXX's since April and they are holding up great. I'm exactly this type of player, and since I'm playing College hockey I am on the ice alot. I beat the hell out of my skates and these seem to be holding up just as well as anything else I've had.

Break in time is virtually non existant and it fits my foot like a glove. Best skates I've ever owned.
did you have them heated? I`m kinda suprised you say that break in time is virtually non existant...seeing the boat is very stiff

Ozolinsh_27

Apr 1, 2005
In my box of skates, there was a pamphlet saying to only heat them maximum 2 times. I agree with the non-existant break in time.. I've had to take my Grafs back at least 2-3 times to have various spots punched out. Nothing yet with the Bauers.

from what I've heard, durability can be a problem, but that could be just people whining and complaining about them breaking down.. my brother didn't take care of his last pair of Graf skates at all and they looked like crap. as always, if you don't take proper care of your equipment, it breaks down

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
Pat said:
did you have them heated? I`m kinda suprised you say that break in time is virtually non existant...seeing the boat is very stiff

I had them baked once.

First time on them, they felt almost broken in. They were not as tight at I like them since the boot was almost too stiff to lace. The second time they were almost perfect, just slightly loose, again due to the stiffness of the boot. Third time on them was perfect, and have been ever since.

Most everyone I have talked to who wears the skate will tell you the same thing, there is almost zero break in time. As for durability, it may vary from person to person but so far so good for me. I beat on my skates with my 6'3 240 pound frame.

Pat

Oct 3, 2005
Trois-Rivières
Toonces said:
I had them baked once.

First time on them, they felt almost broken in. They were not as tight at I like them since the boot was almost too stiff to lace. The second time they were almost perfect, just slightly loose, again due to the stiffness of the boot. Third time on them was perfect, and have been ever since.

Most everyone I have talked to who wears the skate will tell you the same thing, there is almost zero break in time. As for durability, it may vary from person to person but so far so good for me. I beat on my skates with my 6'3 240 pound frame.
I was assuming that seeing how the boot is so stiff, the break in periode would`ve been longer.

SToMper!

Feb 27, 2002
Sand Bar
www.shorelinemediapro.com
Got a high school freshman who needs to make a purchase soon. Obviously he wants the Vapour XXX's and after research his mother and I decided they may be too much money for too little quality and possibly not right for him. We read about the Supreme 8090's and while not as flashy looking...they seem to be a better skate addressing his wide foot, actual durability of the boot, and they're a little more affordable.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.....Thanks!

Last edited:

MikeC44

Sep 18, 2003
Moncton, NB
Visit site
SToMper! said:
Got a high school freshman who needs to make a purchase soon. Obviously he wants the Vapour XXX's and after research his mother and I decided they're too much money and possibly not right for him. His father wants him to have them but won't chip in. We read about the Supreme 8090's and while not as flashy looking...they seem to be a better skate addressing his wide foot, actual durability of the boot, and they're a little more affordable.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.....Thanks!

I bought a pair of 8090s about 2 months ago, and I have to say they are the most comfortable 'new' skates I have ever owned. There was virtually no break-in time: no pain, no blisters, no heal movement from the first time I wore them.
The EE width I got is a nice, wide boot; very comfortable. From what the sales rep said, I guess the Nike skate is also good for wider feet, but I preferred the traditional look over the space boot design.

SToMper!

Feb 27, 2002
Sand Bar
www.shorelinemediapro.com
MikeC44 said:
I bought a pair of 8090s about 2 months ago, and I have to say they are the most comfortable 'new' skates I have ever owned. There was virtually no break-in time: no pain, no blisters, no heal movement from the first time I wore them.
The EE width I got is a nice, wide boot; very comfortable. From what the sales rep said, I guess the Nike skate is also good for wider feet, but I preferred the traditional look over the space boot design.

Just what I was hoping to hear Mike, thanks. He's very worried about the fit.....has Vapour 14 or 15's now and they way too small and tight.

Pat

Oct 3, 2005
Trois-Rivières
finally bought those Vapour`s XXX. damn those skates feel comfortable, at first try they felt "broken in". never tried a skate that light before. my size is 8, EE width. can`t wait to hit the ice this week

fdoobie

Oct 15, 2005
I just played 2 hrs of shinny on brand new Vapour XXX.
These skates felt great...extremely lightweight. I noticed faster glides and turns with less effort. The 'water-phobic' lining inside the skate was dry afterwards.
My previous skates (Bauer 4000 and CCM 652 VakuTacks) would be soaking wet and heavy after playing.
I am totally satifised! :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->