Need help with my ice skates

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
Are you new to skating? I prefer my ankle to be a little loose because it helps me cut. You could try wrapping your laces around the boot, but i've read here that that isn't necessarily a good idea so I'm not sure.

greekdrummer

Jan 2, 2007
tampa,fl
no ive been skating since december and i can crossover and go backwards but i never thought of asking someone for help on this. its always bothered me. i wrapped my laces around and it helps a little but i would prefer it tighter

freshwind

Mar 23, 2002
get a heel cushion, it should raise your foot just enough to allow the ankle to tighten up ...

Backstrom #19

Trotz for president
May 12, 2007
Savannah Georgia
Are you new to skating? I prefer my ankle to be a little loose because it helps me cut. You could try wrapping your laces around the boot, but i've read here that that isn't necessarily a good idea so I'm not sure.

I like them really lose up top. Bute all you have to do is wrape the laces around the boot, it should work

keef

Dec 25, 2006
San Jose
Most people only like skates tight around the top of the foot. The ankle needs to be able roll in order to get on edge easily. You can wrap your laces around the top of the boot, but I'd try not to lace the top most eyelet if you deicde to do that. Maybe you'll get the tighter feeling without sacrificing too much ankle mobility.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
Hi I have some bauer supreme50s and I can't make the ankle too tight. I can get my foot tight but not the ankle. Please help

Question is, do you feel it's effecting your skating?

Most people new to skating just assume their skates should be super tight. That's not really the case. They have to be tight enough to offer the proper support while allowing for the proper flex.

You'll probably need to tighten them a few times over the course of a session. As your foot sweats, the boot warms up. That allows your foot to slide further back. Thus making the skate seem too loose. This is heightened during the skates break in period.

greekdrummer

Jan 2, 2007
tampa,fl
it does affect my skating a little because when the ankle is tighter, im better. since the ankle is loose, i have a tendency to bend my ankles a little more than the normal should be.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey

Don't wrap your laces around the boot, it does nothing but restrict your ankle movement. I'm wondering if you are in the right size skate, or even the correct model.

This is a tough thing to give advice about as it could be a number of different things.

Jeffw-13

Mar 23, 2006
Here's what I do....Get a pair of long socks. Pull them up all the way then fold them down half way so the go around your ankle.
IMG_0862.jpg
[/IMG]

PaulKariya

Jun 4, 2007
If you want a tighter fit this may sound weird but I do it: I put my skates in the oven for about 10 minutes at 300 degrees but don't quote me on that stat because all ovens are different. But after you do that, I tie my skates as tight as I can and walk around in them and they usually conform to my foot.

Happy Pony

Jan 17, 2006
Columbus
If you want a tighter fit this may sound weird but I do it: I put my skates in the oven for about 10 minutes at 300 degrees but don't quote me on that stat because all ovens are different. But after you do that, I tie my skates as tight as I can and walk around in them and they usually conform to my foot.

This is an all-around horrible idea.

CenterHice

Jun 7, 2007
Brossard
I have bad ankles and while it probably not a good thing to do I tape up my skates around the ankle. Makes me feel like I am in a ski boot and my ankles don't ?break? as much.

Jeffw-13

Mar 23, 2006
Not entriely...you can bake your skates and it's possible to do it at home, but not at 300 for 10 minutes. Idk if your 50s can be baked, but check it out at your LHS. It might help mold the ankles a bit better as the skates are a bit wide and deep.

And you sure as hell don't walk around in them while they cool!

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad