Need a stick suggestion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

iiryani

Jan 20, 2006
I recently purchased a Bauer Vapor XXX 1 piece stick with the Naslund curve.. spent $180 on it, and I HATE it.. it has turned my once powerful slapshot into a weak weak weak garbage shot. I never thought that a stick would have that much impact on my game, but this one has.

Now that I got that off my chest, I am looking to buy another stick that will have good durability and will help out with my slapshot... I have usually just bought the Coffee sticks my whole life but recently I've been paying more attention to what works and what doesn't work... obviously the Naslund curve didn't work for me but I would be interested to know what type of stick works for everyone else out there.

What type of curve would help out my slapshot? I would like to know what everyone else thinks...

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
It's really dependant upon your game. If you like the Coffey stick with it. Try a Red Lite Xn10 shaft with a Coffey blade. Was the XXX the same flex and lie as your Coffey? Those can make alot of difference.

iiryani

Jan 20, 2006
EazyB97 said:
It's really dependant upon your game. If you like the Coffey stick with it. Try a Red Lite Xn10 shaft with a Coffey blade. Was the XXX the same flex and lie as your Coffey? Those can make alot of difference.

I honestly don't remember. The XXX stick I bought I felt like I was going to break everytime I shot it... I think it's an 87 flex.

Zimmer12

Dec 15, 2005
Leduc, Alberta
I would personally recommend a TPS Rubber. They are great and they have lasted me a long time. I had my first one for 3 years and I just recently bought a new one. I strongly reccomend a TPS Rubber for people that are not to keen on the price/feel of a one piece stick.

bladoww

Team of the Future
Jan 13, 2005
As far as patterns go... if I remember right the Coffey pattern is a mid-length and with quite a curve to it. Right now I am really liking the Lecavalier blade - really gets the shots up.

Also, if you can find any Branches one-pieces or shafts those are pretty tight too.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I've grown fond of the TPS Adrenaline. It has a nice feel and response to the puck, much like a wood stick.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Instead of starting a new thread I'll ask for a suggestion here. I'm looking for a blade or stick that fits these spec: 3/8 mid-heal curve, 6 lie, open face, round toe. A Recchi pattern comes close but I seem to lose something on my slapshot when using that pattern.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Nothing matches up to those specs on modsquadhockey.com.. Closest thing I could find is a Bauer P91 but it has a 1/2 curve size.

I think a P91 is the Naslund blade or something.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
Zimmer12 said:
I would personally recommend a TPS Rubber. They are great and they have lasted me a long time. I had my first one for 3 years and I just recently bought a new one. I strongly reccomend a TPS Rubber for people that are not to keen on the price/feel of a one piece stick.

They aren't making them anymore. You can still find them online. Good stick though. Might be the best value for the dollar stick out there.

I'd go with a Warrior, CCM, or Louisville. The only problem with Louisville is they don't have a big choice when it comes to blade patterns.

ArchieIsGod

Mar 2, 2004
drury synergy for me...the shaft is 100 i think, what difference does the flex make?? i take mostly wrist snap shots would a more flexible shaft improve my shot?

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:
Nothing matches up to those specs on modsquadhockey.com.. Closest thing I could find is a Bauer P91 but it has a 1/2 curve size.

Thanks for looking.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
If you like the Coffey, the closest curves are CCM Thornton and Easton Yzerman/Gaborik. From a couple other companies, the closest curves are: Bauer Lindros, Innovative McCarty.

Hopefully you don't have to rely going online to buy, and you can just visually compare curves in person.

iiryani

Jan 20, 2006
Brodeur said:
If you like the Coffey, the closest curves are CCM Thornton and Easton Yzerman/Gaborik. From a couple other companies, the closest curves are: Bauer Lindros, Innovative McCarty.

Hopefully you don't have to rely going online to buy, and you can just visually compare curves in person.

I actually ended up getting the T. Amonte curve by RBK.. it played great tonight and we'll see what happens in the future.

Lord Stanley

Revoluccion Leader
Feb 24, 2003
In your head
revoluccionsoup.sauna.ca
iiryani said:
I honestly don't remember. The XXX stick I bought I felt like I was going to break everytime I shot it... I think it's an 87 flex.

87 flex that is way to much that's as flexable as you an get those I believe. I use a Vapor XXX Lindros curve pro flex 102. I loved that stick it just broke on me tuesday. I had a game the next day and stuck a Lindros blade in it. Still love it but I'm going to get another one.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Jacobv2 said:

P91 is Kovalchuk. P92 is Naslund, which is their Sakic clone.

I'm pretty confident Bauer is releasing or has released a senior 77 flex, so it isn't the most flexible stick in the XXX line. The extra whip is nice for wristers and snapshots, but definately takes some getting used to on slappers.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
Lord Stanley said:
87 flex that is way to much that's as flexable as you an get those I believe. I use a Vapor XXX Lindros curve pro flex 102. I loved that stick it just broke on me tuesday. I had a game the next day and stuck a Lindros blade in it. Still love it but I'm going to get another one.

I thought you weren't able to replace blades on Vapor XXX sticks. Did you use a one piece replacement blade, or a regular replacement blade?

iiryani said:
I actually ended up getting the T. Amonte curve by RBK.. it played great tonight and we'll see what happens in the future.

A buddy of mine who has the self proclaimed hardest shot in the USHL uses this stick...It looks like there's no way it's a legal curve tho. Says it's helped him alot since switching to them from Synergy's.

afterhours

Jan 13, 2006
iiryani said:
I recently purchased a Bauer Vapor XXX 1 piece stick with the Naslund curve.. spent $180 on it, and I HATE it.. it has turned my once powerful slapshot into a weak weak weak garbage shot. I never thought that a stick would have that much impact on my game, but this one has.

What type of curve would help out my slapshot? I would like to know what everyone else thinks...

Can't help you out with the curve, but I'd highly recommend the new Easton Stealth sticks. They are purely performance, so if you're prone to breaking sticks not sure if it'll work with you, but in terms of shooting it's the best shooter's stick I've ever owned. It took me a few games to get used to because it was my first composite, but my slapshot is noticeably stronger and more accurate. Using the Stealth and changing my once full wind up to a Phaneuf type 3/4ths wind up has made my slapshot a LOT better in terms of strength and accuracy.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
iiryani said:

Now that I got that off my chest, I am looking to buy another stick that will have good durability and will help out with my slapshot... I have usually just bought the Coffee sticks my whole life but recently I've been paying more attention to what works and what doesn't work... obviously the Naslund curve didn't work for me but I would be interested to know what type of stick works for everyone else out there.

The Näslund curve would be the worst for slapshots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->