Need a center, who should i pickup off waivers?

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Hey everyone, so i did my research before my draft, or so i thought, and ended up picking up Derek Stepan late in my draft.... then found out he was going to be placed on LTIR....

soooo i need a Center, as he was my backup, i have Backstrom and Tavares as my top 2 centers.

or should i even pick up another center? this is a POINTS league

G-A-GWG-SHG

W-SO

thats all that counts.

my team

C-Tavares
C-Backstrom
LW-Lucic
LW-Perron
RW-Eberle
RW-Okposo
F-Brent Burns
D-Subban
D-Giordano
D-Zidlicky
D-Maata
BN-Palat------LW
BN-Nichushkin-------RW

IR-Stepan----C

G-Crawford
G-Smith

FREE AGENTS

top point producers last season

C-Frans Nielson- 58PTS
C/LW-Jussi Jokinen- 57PTS
LW/RW- Jiri Hudler- 54PTS
C/RW-Craig Smith- 52PTS
C- David Desharnais- 52PTS
LW-Mikkel Boedker- 51 PTS
RW-Reilly Smith- 51PTS
C- David Legwand- 51PTS
C- Tyler Johnson- 50PTS
C-Nick Bonino- 49PTS

thats the top 10.

but there are other guys who could break out this year

C- Cody Hodgson- 44PTS
RW- Vladimir Tarasenko- 43PTS
C/LW- Tyler Ennis- 43 PTS
C/LW- Mike Richards- 41 PTS (is he able to get back up to 60?)
C/LW- Brayden Schenn- 41 PTS
C- Nick Bjugstad- 38 PTS
C- Sean Monahan- 34 PTS
C- Alex Galchenyuk- 31 PTS
C- Aleksander Barkov- 24PTS

what do you guys think? would love to get some opinions, i made a couple mistakes in my draft im not happy about, im lacking a great LWer, took Subban too early, but im hoping i can find a diamond in the rough in the free agent pool...

I must say David Desharnais and Brayden Schenn intrigue me a bit, Desharnais will be playing on MTL's 1st line with Patches, and Schenn COULD have his break out season 41PTS in 82 games last year.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
My top two choices would be Tyler Johnson (may play with Stamkos) and Schenn (plays with Giroux and is multi-positional).

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
My top two choices would be Tyler Johnson (may play with Stamkos) and Schenn (plays with Giroux and is multi-positional).

In a small roster league like this one appears to be, this is actually quite important.

I'm shocked Johnson is even available. Seems like he should be rostered in almost every league. Then again, small rosters. I'd go Johnson and Craig Smith.

Twigz999

Oct 7, 2013
I don't think that mike Richards will get even close to 60 again. Plays mostly a shutdown role on the 3rd line these days. I think Tyler johnson is intriguing but It depends which line he ends up on. Playing with stammer and palat could be fantasy gold. But they are deep and have so many interchangeable players so it's tough to say especially once drouin returns. Also kucherov has looked very good with Stamkos too. Desharnais is also a decent option. He's had chemistry with Pacioretti for a few years now and will be a safe bet to get 50 plus points with power play time going for him. Taresenko could honestly have the biggest breakout out of all of them but it's tough to say because at.louis has 3 very good lines and will fight for playing time. Even a guy like Toffolli if undrafted should be on your radar. He's ripping it up with carter and Pearson leading preseason scoring with 4 goals and 5 assists. You could potentially wait a game or two to see who comes hot out of the gate. That's what I'm doing because I drafted Stepan and put him on my injury reserve and am waiting to see who's starting strong. I'm in a very deep league and am considering tanner Pearson.

AFTeRMaTH*

in my yahoo league I had Stepan as my backup too, I ended up picking up Barkov.

AFTeRMaTH*

If youre looking for LW that can end up being a stud pick up Schenn. Playing on Girouxs left, so if he it talented as many thought then he should produce.

MooseDupont

Sep 25, 2006
i dont see schenn playing with giroux long term.

boedker is consistent but i worry yotes will score less this year.

i like smith but not sure of his pp time. he is in contract year i think which is always a plus

i took a flyer on desharnais this year for the reasons you acknowledged. time will tell

hodgson will play with moulson and should get more than 44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad