Value of: Nedelijkovic or Kochetkov to the Leafs

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Leafs need a goalie that can split goalie duties with Campbell next year, since Anderson probably won't be back next year due to cap restraints and Anderson's overall play.

So is Nedelijkovic or Kochetkov available? And if so, what would they cost?​

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Isn’t that what Joseph Woll is for?

I don't think Woll has played as well in the AHL as the Leafs have hoped. So Woll might not be able to step up next year. I was really hoping for Ian Scott stepping up actually, but he's been injured ever since last year. :( Depending on the price of the goalies, it'll give the Leafs higher chance of finding their goalie.

Last edited:

poobags

8) 8) 8( 8)
Jan 27, 2013
Washington
Canes have one goalie signed at the AHL/NHL level beyond this season, fresh AHL signee Beck Warm. That will need to be addressed before the expansion draft as they are required to have one goalie with the requisite NHL experience and Nedeljkovic may not play enough game this season to satisfy the requirement. So they have to sign a few of their goalies before they can really trade anyone.

Reactions: DaveG

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
With only a rookie AHL goalie under contract for next year, I don't see the Canes trading away Ned or Koch. I mean, if you throw something crazy at us we'd be stupid not to take it, but given the value of goalies and what would be offered, they probably have more internal value. Ned's future is still a bit uncertain, but he's making a case to be our backup next year. Koch didn't get to play tons this year so he's a complete crapshoot and was bounced around, but it seemed like the Canes didn't draft a goalie last year because they liked what they saw in him.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I don't pretend to say Ned is 100% the Carolina answer. But I sure do know as of today he will be the goalie that gets the shot over Reimer and Mrazek.

Didn't he pass through waivers before the season?

SMH at NHL gm's.

Well, he's 6'0 and possibly playing in the worst division on a pretty good team.

And it's on 10 games. I wouldn't be thinking NHL gms screwed up already and if Carolina knew he could be better, they wouldn't have waived him.

Toronto should stay away from Ned. A lot of their fan base can't even spell "Auston Matthews" properly, so can you imagine how butchered this guy's name would be ?

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I could see the interest in Nedeljkovic, who’s had past success in the minors and is showing well so far in his young career. However, he’s playing well, he’s cheap and teams need all the goalie depth they can muster this season. He’s very likely not going anywhere.

I can’t see why there’d be any interest in Kochetkov. He’s barely played over the past 2 years, and to expect him to jump right into the NHL next year is a bit much.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
I could see the interest in Nedeljkovic, who’s had past success in the minors and is showing well so far in his young career. However, he’s playing well, he’s cheap and teams need all the goalie depth they can muster this season. He’s very likely not going anywhere.

I can’t see why there’d be any interest in Kochetkov. He’s barely played over the past 2 years, and to expect him to jump right into the NHL next year is a bit much.

Swinging for the fences. Kochetkov is already 21 and I think he's play style could be suited for the Leafs system. If the price is right, why not take a chance.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Swinging for the fences. Kochetkov is already 21 and I think he's play style could be suited for the Leafs system. If the price is right, why not take a chance.

I mean, he might be available. I think the front office in Carolina said they were happy with his progress around draft time (I have no idea why, though). That said, taking that kind of chance is the way to ruin a team's window and lose your job. So, I'm all for trading him to the Leafs to be their backup next year.

Reactions: DaveG

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Canes have one goalie signed at the AHL/NHL level beyond this season, fresh AHL signee Beck Warm. That will need to be addressed before the expansion draft as they are required to have one goalie with the requisite NHL experience and Nedeljkovic may not play enough game this season to satisfy the requirement. So they have to sign a few of their goalies before they can really trade anyone.

Beck Warm sounds like one of those computer names in EA games.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Nedeljkovic was the backbone of my cup winning nhl 14(I think) GM connected team. He was a 4.5 yellow star prospect I got by joining the league late and tanking successfully for 1st overall. He blew up hard to like 89 overall immediately which I don’t believe was common for him from what I had heard online. The other big star for me was a lethally fast and deadly shooting 82 overall matt puemple.

Imagine being any of you who just read my garbage post :laugh:

Reactions: Identity404

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
The Leafs should try for Driedger instead. Better chance of getting him as he is walking away after this year.

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
I was surprised Ned passed through waivers, given how many teams were losing goalies to waivers at the time. Oilers seemed like an obvious choice at a time when Mike Smith was hurt. They passed and used their claim on Grosenick I believe.

Ned has been great and obviously has value now. Makes you wonder what other players cleared waivers and were traded for a decent pick. That being said, not sure what his future holds. I believe he needs to play like half the canes’ gamea to remain an RFA, and with Mrazek coming back, not sure what they do about that. If Ned stays hot and is A UFA, he would definitely get a decent bump compared to what he currently makes now. I think the Canes avoid that and end up trading Mrazek/Reimer and run Ned as a 1a/1b.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Well, he's 6'0 and possibly playing in the worst division on a pretty good team.

And it's on 10 games. I wouldn't be thinking NHL gms screwed up already and if Carolina knew he could be better, they wouldn't have waived him.

Toronto should stay away from Ned. A lot of their fan base can't even spell "Auston Matthews" properly, so can you imagine how butchered this guy's name would be ?

No... that’s the North division you’re thinking of there

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I was surprised Ned passed through waivers, given how many teams were losing goalies to waivers at the time. Oilers seemed like an obvious choice at a time when Mike Smith was hurt. They passed and used their claim on Grosenick I believe.

Ned has been great and obviously has value now. Makes you wonder what other players cleared waivers and were traded for a decent pick. That being said, not sure what his future holds. I believe he needs to play like half the canes’ gamea to remain an RFA, and with Mrazek coming back, not sure what they do about that. If Ned stays hot and is A UFA, he would definitely get a decent bump compared to what he currently makes now. I think the Canes avoid that and end up trading Mrazek/Reimer and run Ned as a 1a/1b.

Ned needs another 15 games by my count (he has 16 GP, but 1 was <30 minutes in relief.) Carolina has 26 games left, so a little more than half would be required. I think a split with Mrazek is likely when Mrazek comes back, with Reimer moving to the press box. If they can't reach that number, I suspect they will make a push to sign Ned ahead of July UFA day to be part of the 21-22 tandem.

The other thing to consider is whether the NHL will take into account the lower number of games the past 2 seasons in determining group 6 UFA rules. With only 68 games (83%) in 19-20 and 56 games (68%) in 20-21, will some of the game minimums be reduced?

Reactions: Stickpucker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad