Near Impact Rookies/Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Who do you guys think will make the biggest splash over the next year or two? Is there a gem or two with the skills to bust out as a 50-60+ point player? Do any of the following have what it takes? Goc, D. Moore, Zalesak, M. Richards, J. Carter, Miettinen, D. Roy (the only one currently in the NHL), Radulov, Upshall, Getzlaf... who should we as fans be looking at, whether they're on this list or I may have omitted them?

I appreciate any input as a new fan to Hockey's Future!

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
From the Hawks it would have to be Mikhail Yakubov. He is slated to be one of the Hawks top 2 or 3 centers next year (if there is a next year).

Hopefully Sutter will be replaced as coach by then and we will get a coach more dedicated to playing the youths. Assuming he gets the ice time he will probably break in with 30-40 points in his rookie year (like most rooks) but I see him becomming a 50-60 point guy within a few years.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Behn Wilson said:
From the Hawks it would have to be Mikhail Yakubov. He is slated to be one of the Hawks top 2 or 3 centers next year (if there is a next year).

Hopefully Sutter will be replaced as coach by then and we will get a coach more dedicated to playing the youths. Assuming he gets the ice time he will probably break in with 30-40 points in his rookie year (like most rooks) but I see him becomming a 50-60 point guy within a few years.

You figure he has better offensive upside than Radulov?

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Jobu said:
You figure he has better offensive upside than Radulov?

Radulov may have more pure skill as an offensive player but Yakubov is a much more solid all around player and this will over the long run get him more ice time.
He has a much better all around game and can both pass and finish. He has great size and is a moose. He took a year to develop in the AHL but is really coming around. He looked NHL ready in his brief call up.

Radulov's overall game and effort is inconsistent. But his offensive skills are marvellous. I cant stress eough how badly Sutter has scewed with our youth. He shafted Radulov on ice time and linemates this year so he really didnt get a fair shake when he was up. He was playing with the likes of Vandenbusche and Korolev.

Fantasywonder

Sep 30, 2003
Boston, MA, USA
Visit site
Antti Miettinen didn't make the Stars full time and is now an occasional call-up, if a call-up at all with Olivers amazing play of late. He was great in camp and showed very promesing flashes of what to expect in the future, he has a great hockeysense, which makes him a threat at both ends of the rink. Very underrated open ice hitter and has likely an offensive potential of 50/60 points. NHL comparison: Poor man Jere Lehtinen. Though he'd never become as valueble, Antti is a better hitter and has better offensive instincts. He can be a consistant Selke threat for seasons to come..

Antti was sent down a few months ago, recording 9 points in 10 games before going out with a nagging injury that keeps on bothering him. He's going through a simular progress Niko Kapanen went through 2 years ago. he played 9 games at the highest level before being sent down. After a very succesful rookie season in the AHL, he enjoyed an even more impressive rookie season in the NHL. Stars management hope Antti will do the same, as he's from the same mold, only better in nearly every aspect.

Hammerwise

Jun 13, 2002
Visit site
I think JCarter might be ready sooner rather than later and while Philly has moved Comrie on the wing, Primeau is a UFA, leaving Handzus who looks extremely tradeable, Roenick, and 4th line Sharp or Lapointe.
So if Philly wants to and Carter is indeed ready, I see him as an immediate 40 pt player. He has good size and speed and will play with more than capable wingers.

I think you have to look at who these prospects will be playing with and ice time. While Radulov is a great prospect, how will he get 60 pts with Chicagos current forward group? So in his case, probably not immediate. Same problem with Derek Roy, he's behind briere, drury? I see him as a 40-70 pt guy but not this year or next probably.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Hammerwise said:
I think JCarter might be ready sooner rather than later and while Philly has moved Comrie on the wing, Primeau is a UFA, leaving Handzus who looks extremely tradeable, Roenick, and 4th line Sharp or Lapointe.
So if Philly wants to and Carter is indeed ready, I see him as an immediate 40 pt player. He has good size and speed and will play with more than capable wingers.

I think you have to look at who these prospects will be playing with and ice time. While Radulov is a great prospect, how will he get 60 pts with Chicagos current forward group? So in his case, probably not immediate. Same problem with Derek Roy, he's behind briere, drury? I see him as a 40-70 pt guy but not this year or next probably.

That's a good point. What about Zalesak? Can his AHL success this year be translated at all to success at the NHL level? From what I understand, he isn't the greatest defensively or physically so may not be able to earn a permanent spot in the big league, at least not anytime soon.

thestonedkoala

Mikko Koivu and Patrick O'Sullivan for the Wild :D

Maybe Wallin if we open it up a little bit with Hannula on the wing but that's a big IF.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Behn Wilson said:
I cant stress eough how badly Sutter has scewed with our youth. He shafted Radulov on ice time and linemates this year so he really didnt get a fair shake when he was up. He was playing with the likes of Vandenbusche and Korolev.

Maybe by giving him that role Sutter is trying to get him to learn how to play defense and how to play physical? Maybe he's trying to get him to round out his game and shore up his weaknesses? There's a good chance Radulov wouldn't be concentrating on either of those things if he were on a scoring line.

In Calgary it's frustrating at times to have Kobasew on the 4th line with the likes of Oliwa and Loyns/Green but he has definitely improved over the season in his effort and his physical play. I can see why Darryl Sutter does it. Kobasew is not ready (because of inconsistency and defense) to play on our top lines and therefore is learning the game on the 4th line, from the bench and in practise.

Of course you do have an argument as a Hawks fan that you're not trying to win games and therefore Radulov on one of the top lines being a liability isn't a big deal but I still don't think he's as likely to learn the parts of the game he lacks unless he's given a role on a defensive/checking line.

I guess it really depends on whether you want your softer, skilled European prospects to always play that style or whether you want them to add more of a physical/defensive element to their game. To me the preferable choice is obvious.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Alexander Semin!

If he learns English a little more, plays more, and is kept on a top scoring line, has the talent to produce at least 20-30 goals in the next two years.

Maybe more in the future, but that depends a lot on his development, and his willingness to learn to play a little more responsibly.

Though, this whole thread sadly, might be a moot point.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Maybe by giving him that role Sutter is trying to get him to learn how to play defense and how to play physical? Maybe he's trying to get him to round out his game and shore up his weaknesses? There's a good chance Radulov wouldn't be concentrating on either of those things if he were on a scoring line.

Of course you do have an argument as a Hawks fan that you're not trying to win games and therefore Radulov on one of the top lines being a liability isn't a big deal but I still don't think he's as likely to learn the parts of the game he lacks unless he's given a role on a defensive/checking line.

I guess it really depends on whether you want your softer, skilled European prospects to always play that style or whether you want them to add more of a physical/defensive element to their game. To me the preferable choice is obvious.

Sutter is awful in his allocation of minutes. He flat out does not like playing rookies unless they are grinder types. You have wto watch the Hawks game in and out to realize how bad he is. WHen Mike SMith was Gm Sutters hand was forced with the young players in the lineup. But Sutter would play fourth liner Nicholl, etc over hte kids. He is not trying to teach anything he is just giving him the least minutes possible on the fourth line. Trust me, you dont learn anything playing with Vandy and Korolev types.

The second Smith was fired and Sutter could havbe his wasy he instantly demoted some kids and promoted Igor Korolev and eventually put him on the first line with Zhamnov. Rumor is that Dale Tallon made him change this. He has certain vet slugs that he trots out there no matter what like Korolev and Karpotsev. The Chicago fans cant wait to get rid of Sutter.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I am horrible on these rookie prediction things so I will go out and kill another devils prospects chances :)

Aleksander Suglobov, very similar player to Semin only with a little more experience. Suglobov will not put up star numbers in NJ but if can can crack the devils top two lines I could see him getting 15 goals and 20 assists in his rookie season next year, which IMO would be a solid season in NJ.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
JasonMacIsaac said:
I am horrible on these rookie prediction things so I will go out and kill another devils prospects chances :)

Aleksander Suglobov, very similar player to Semin only with a little more experience. Suglobov will not put up star numbers in NJ but if can can crack the devils top two lines I could see him getting 15 goals and 20 assists in his rookie season next year, which IMO would be a solid season in NJ.

These typical Russian prospects are probably the hardest to gauge. Well, at least some of the hardest. Who knows whether they'll be a Volchkov or a Samsanov their first couple of years.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Chimaera said:
These typical Russian prospects are probably the hardest to gauge. Well, at least some of the hardest. Who knows whether they'll be a Volchkov or a Samsanov their first couple of years.
Well many were inpressed with Suglobov who had a really solid camp this year, he came close to making the team. It all depends on how his reinjured wrist will recover and how many games he can get in before the season ends. I agree though that Russians are really hard to get a gauge on. I liked what I seen of Semin in a couple games this year, he is alot more gritty then I thought. Uses his speed well down low.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
JasonMacIsaac said:
Well many were inpressed with Suglobov who had a really solid camp this year, he came close to making the team. It all depends on how his reinjured wrist will recover and how many games he can get in before the season ends. I agree though that Russians are really hard to get a gauge on. I liked what I seen of Semin in a couple games this year, he is alot more gritty then I thought. Uses his speed well down low.

Yeah, I was surprised how much he actually will fight for the puck, instead of avoiding contact like some young Euros are known to do. He sure doesn't always play like the lightweight he is.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
For Carolina, besides the obvious in Eric Staal, i'm going to have to say that Magnus Kahnberg could have a good outside shot at winning the Calder and being a productive player in the NHL next season.

He's leading the SEL in goals and points, and from what i've seen he has some pretty sick moves. He also has a pretty big body and knows the defensive aspects of the game as well.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Before the season, I heard a report that Zalesak had really impressed some of the Sharks brass with an improved two-way game and that a few teams were asking about him. Then he went through the waiver draft untouched so I figured it was all blowing smoke and sure enough, from what i hear, Miro's two-way game is still rough and he wont play physical. He always had the offensive talent as good as anyone (sans Vinny n Legwand) in the 98 draft but it was he was so horrible defensively that most thought he wouldnt be able to make it to the NHL which is why the Sharks were able to grab him in the 4th. I've been a believer since he was drafted that he would eventually be able to crack the Sharks but only as a top 6 winger. If he is able to do that expect him to be scoring 50-60.

Marcel Goc, i think is a for sure NHLer just for his defense. The kid is simply amazing in his defensive skills. Not to mention, that he is superb on face-offs...he is the type of player any team can find a place for. His offense has yet to be determined in NA but I think he will be just fine. His upside is that of a decent 2nd line center and at least a great 3rd line center. I see him puttin up 40-50 points once he hits his stride.

Edit: gross abuse of English language

Last edited:

BingoSensFan

Jan 31, 2004
I've seen Suglobov play in the AHL more times than I'd like to and I have to say, this guy is one hell of a player. But I believe he went down with a major knee injury. I hope I'm right about that. It'll be interesting to see how he recovers. If he recovers well, this guy will be a quality NHLer for many years.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Patty Ice XXX said:
Before the season, I heard a report that Zalesak had really impressed some of the Sharks brass with an improved two-way game and that a few teams were asking about him. Then he went through the waiver draft untouched so I figured it was all blowing smoke and sure enough, from what i hear, Miro's two-way game is still rough and he wont play physical. He always had the offensive talent (as good as anyone sans Vinny n Legwand) in the 98 draft but it was he was so horrible defensively that most thought he wouldnt be able to make it to the NHL which is why the Sharks were able to grab him in the 4th. I've been a believer since he was drafted that he would eventually be able to crack the Sharks but only has a top 6 winger. If he is able to do that expect him to be scoring 50-60.

Marcel Goc, i think is a for sure NHLer if not just for his defense. The kid is simply amazing in his defensive skills. Not to mention, that he is superb on face-offs...he is the type of player any team can find a place for. His offense has yet to be determined in NA but I think he will be just fine. His upside is that of a decent 2nd line center and at least a great 3rd line center. I see him puttin up 40-50 points once he hits his stride.

Good post. I think Zalesak will depend on exactly how well he plays defensively, ironically. Because if he won't play the two way game, he's not going to get minutes from Wilson. Goc's a pretty sure bet, IMO.

Yakubov is a good choice. He is great all around as mentioned and has good size too. Seems to have a knack of just making things happen in the little I've seen (Chicago)/heard (Norfolk) of him.

If we're including some NHL rookies already, which I doubt, Ryan Malone has a good chance IMO. I know this discussion is about mostly non NHL players, but what can I say? I'm a homer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad