Player Discussion Neal Pionk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
All of this.

HFNYR is predictably following its tail right now.

1. Sign a FREE asset. (Done)
2. Overhype the bejezus out of him. (In progress)
3. Rag on the kid for not reaching his very peak potential. (Next on the agenda)

If Pionk and/or Gilmour carve out NHL careers, that is a win. I'm just rooting for them to figure out how to do that; anything else is icing on the cake.

Ha ha! Well said.

All I know is that in a critical point of the overtime against the Pens, Mr. Pionk was able to out skate and maintain possession against one of the better defenseman of this generation. It was a thing of beauty and started the sequence that led to the game-winning goal.

Neil Poink. Mackenzie Skapski. Osama McGillicuddy. If they can make plays like that, I'm happy to see them wearing our colors.

Last edited:

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Unless Pionk completely drops off the map I see absolutely not reason why he won't be on the team next season. Even if they get supremely lucky and draft Dahlin there's always a need for a player with the skillset he has

I think he's going to be what we expected Matt Gilroy to be when we signed him. Gilroy had 15 points in 69 games as a 25 year old. Pionk already has 10 in 19 games as a 22 year old. Thus far his game has translated to the NHL almost seamlessly.

Based on what I've seen I really think he has 35 point upside while playing solid D. That's not easy to find in the NHL

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Unless Pionk completely drops off the map I see absolutely not reason why he won't be on the team next season. Even if they get supremely lucky and draft Dahlin there's always a need for a player with the skillset he has

I think he's going to be what we expected Matt Gilroy to be when we signed him. Gilroy had 15 points in 69 games as a 25 year old. Pionk already has 10 in 19 games as a 22 year old. Thus far his game has translated to the NHL almost seamlessly.

Based on what I've seen I really think he has 35 point upside while playing solid D. That's not easy to find in the NHL

TBH, Pionk is already better than the best we’ve seen from Gilroy both offensively and defensively.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
TBH, Pionk is already better than the best we’ve seen from Gilroy both offensively and defensively.
Yea I honestly can’t remember a ‘good’ defensive play from Gilroy and Pionk makes solid plays regularly. Actually my only memory of Gilroy is him starting from behind our net and trying to make it down to the other end using (allegedly) slick skating and fancy moves with his elite level tunnel vision.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Getting back to Pionk, does it really matter if he’s “only” a number six defenseman?
Agreed. Better to have found him rather than have to sign a third pairing defenseman. If that is all he is. If the kid turns into "nothing more" than a third pairing d-man, consider yourself lucky that you found him and cost no assets to obtain.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
This kid being pegged as a 5/6 is so unfair. He's outperformed at every level. Has incredible hockey sense across the whole 200 feet (yes he will always have some situational d zone disadvantages) but he can create and lead a breakout, plus he'd probably be my first choice to be the dman back defending an odd man rush because of his stick and understanding of timing/angles. He's got talent/vision in the ozone and a great shot - one timer is a bomb and is the first dman we've had since maybe Leetch (not putting him on that level/making that overall comparison) that can consistently find a lane to snap/wrist one through traffic on net. He's got some bite and doesn't back down. I'm all in on him - he's gonna turn out and be a top 4 staple for a decade.
He has been this guy for a little while. I hope he can keep it up. Based on his apparent good mental makeup I have high hopes.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Pionk is quite good. I think we are looking at a potential top 4 staple on the new core of this roster.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Uncle Dru

Formerly Kakk Addict
Mar 12, 2012
Loved his game in preseason and even moreso now given his usage.

Advanced stats are alarming to some but he easily passes the eye test. Like mentioned above, getting away from Staal would be a good thing. Obliterated on the left side when Pionk is on ice

pionkne95

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
On the Defense (along with Hajek) the guy i'm most excited to see continue his progress next year.
Get me a Dobson or Bouchard and suddenly the future of this defense doesn't look so bleak.

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Loved his game in preseason and even moreso now given his usage.

Advanced stats are alarming to some but he easily passes the eye test. Like mentioned above, getting away from Staal would be a good thing. Obliterated on the left side when Pionk is on ice

pionkne95
But but...Advanced stats mean more than the eye test, that's what the HF NYR Kliq tell me.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Needs to add muscle this summer which I’m sure he will but he’s definitely improving. Smart kid and doesnt back down from anyone. If he’s your third pair right D that can move up you’re in good shape. Righty D are tough to find.

I don’t see why we wouldn’t have Shattenkirk DeAngelo Pionk as our 3 righty D next year.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If you’re trying to find small positives in the current situation with AV as a HC consider this: instead of watching Pionk making good passes reliving pressure from the forecheck on defense or an entry passing into offensive zone, under Torts we would only be watching him dump the puck off the boards.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Neal has been compared to Ryan Ellis on this very thread
I know back on page 11 i said this, "I know its early but we might have found our own Ryan Ellis'esque type of D in Pionk?," Not a comparison, just optimism we can develop our own D like Ellis, and you know what Pionk has 2-3 more years to develop into that player. Ellis took 3-4 years playing pro to become the player he is now.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I know back on page 11 i said this, "I know its early but we might have found our own Ryan Ellis'esque type of D in Pionk?," Not a comparison, just optimism we can develop our own D like Ellis, and you know what Pionk has 2-3 more years to develop into that player. Ellis took 3-4 years playing pro to become the player he is now.

Why do you have to explain yourself to that guy? his schtick is about as fresh as a Foghat concert. I know he has 3 million listeners and incontinent scouts or was it scouts across the continent, nah it's incontinent..... that call him for his opinion but still.........

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Out of all the call-ups so far, he's been the best. (edit: easy, yes Georgie too) That's one RHD spot less to worry about. If he's top 4 or bottom 2, idrc. He looks to be able to be slotted anywhere.
Obviously he'd be a 3rd pairing guy, which would speak for a very solid D-corps. There will be ups and downs, but we can cherish this one. Free asset turns into NHL d-man, good job I say.

And please just stop with the stupid nickname.

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad