Player Discussion Neal Pionk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I sometimes enjoy discussing no hockey related topic with u guys - u get a new perspective on things, and that can be quite interesting. :)
And when I take a break, and kind of miss that discussion with HF - it can be as silly as beer brands. And share the experience with travel related topics, and what is popular these days concerning clothes for men for instant when u don`t have time to research hours into what a men should wear this spring 2018 fashion. ))

But back to Neal Pionk - I believe he has a good chance to do well in his NHL career - it will be exciting to see if he succeed in the future.

Reactions: egelband

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Pionk IMO is going to be a far better player than Diaz or Clendening. I never really understood the love for either of them. They were both weak in the defensive zone and neither was capable of producing serious offensive production at the NHL level. Diaz last I knew disappeared into the Swiss NLA league and Clendening couldn't crack the Arizona roster this year (worst record in the league) and has spent almost the entire season in the AHL. I think for a lot of posters here they became the anti-Girardi as in anybody but Dan. But now that Dan toils in Tampa as more or less a bottom pairing guy the Tampa fans seem to like him. Go figure. The way I look at it AV's defensive scheme played to and exposed Girardi's weaknesses but in a more conventional defensive system Dan does alright. But Diaz and Clendening were never very good in my eyes.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
3/4 of million listens on my Pod all time. 375,ooo on my YT. Ryan Ellis seriously ? 17 Games evals for Stionk are in I guess. He will go down as one of the great finds of the 2017-18 season in which the Ranger didn't make the playoffs and gave up 40 shots nightly. I enjoy the back and forth though it just reinforces the fact some of you have no place under the critical thinking hangar. Some of you are great here at HF the others who are thin skinned pedestrian fans who just cant accept an opposing viewpoint or a quip on a players name. Some of you vastly overate Stionk and get annoyed that I call him Stionk. How juvenile.

So.... where to begin?

"Stionk" isn't funny. To a juvenile person, maybe. See what I did there?

And, yeah, let's hop on a message board after 17 games and declare that a guy who wasn't even supposed to be playing here this season as the next Adam Clendening without a single sentence to let us know how your magnificence came up with this prognostication.

Then, let's wax poetic about our internet greatness and how many people are listening to your podcasts as if anyone here gives a shit. Half of your listeners might be laughing. Half might use it as a sleep aid. Some might actually listen to it. Poor them.

The truth is that Pionk has been a really pleasant surprise for those of us paying attention during this miserable last few weeks where our organization waved the white flag. God forbid that some of us talk about one of the few bright spots without having The Vastly Followed Mouth come in here and rain on our parade. Critical thinking doesn't come up with a ceiling for a 22 year old that's played 17 NHL games and his shit team is relying on him to play 25 minutes a night against guys like Crosby and Malkin when he was in Hartford a month ago.

Go curse at me on your podcast. I won't be listening.

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Getting back to Pionk, does it really matter if he’s “only” a number six defenseman?

It’s still a necessary role and a player we found and signed.

Yes, we all want stars and guys who are going to be core players for the better part of a decade, but we can still appreciate the guys who never reach those levels.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Getting back to Pionk, does it really matter if he’s “only” a number six defenseman?

Yes, we all want stars and guys who are going to be core players for the better part of a decade, but we can still appreciate the guys who never reach those levels.

I also think people kind of expect too much of 2nd pairing guys...unless you're like Nashville, your second pairing guys aren't going to be all stars or something. A guy who can move the puck well, provide a bit of offense, and pretty good defense can easily be a good 2nd pair player. You don't have to have excellent skills in everything to be a 2nd pair player.

I say this because I see a guy like Pionk as someone who could be a decent 2nd pair player.But yeah you're also right in that really you need good players at every position in todays NHL. If he contributes well anywhere in the lineup that's great

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's

All of this.

HFNYR is predictably following its tail right now.

1. Sign a FREE asset. (Done)
2. Overhype the bejezus out of him. (In progress)
3. Rag on the kid for not reaching his very peak potential. (Next on the agenda)

If Pionk and/or Gilmour carve out NHL careers, that is a win. I'm just rooting for them to figure out how to do that; anything else is icing on the cake.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
All of this.

HFNYR is predictably following its tail right now.

1. Sign a FREE asset. (Done)
2. Overhype the bejezus out of him. (In progress)
3. Rag on the kid for not reaching his very peak potential. (Next on the agenda)

If Pionk and/or Gilmour carve out NHL careers, that is a win. I'm just rooting for them to figure out how to do that; anything else is icing on the cake.

number 3 is so true. first it was Hayes who some wanted gone for bag of pucks. now its Vesey next up is Pionk.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
This kid being pegged as a 5/6 is so unfair. He's outperformed at every level. Has incredible hockey sense across the whole 200 feet (yes he will always have some situational d zone disadvantages) but he can create and lead a breakout, plus he'd probably be my first choice to be the dman back defending an odd man rush because of his stick and understanding of timing/angles. He's got talent/vision in the ozone and a great shot - one timer is a bomb and is the first dman we've had since maybe Leetch (not putting him on that level/making that overall comparison) that can consistently find a lane to snap/wrist one through traffic on net. He's got some bite and doesn't back down. I'm all in on him - he's gonna turn out and be a top 4 staple for a decade.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

This is absolutely correct. A reliable sixth defenseman that we obtained for a simple ELC is terrific in its own right. I do believe Pionk will be a fair bit better than that, but even if he's not, and just simply an NHL regular, that's a great thing.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
3/4 of million listens on my Pod all time. 375,ooo on my YT. Ryan Ellis seriously ? 17 Games evals for Stionk are in I guess. He will go down as one of the great finds of the 2017-18 season in which the Ranger didn't make the playoffs and gave up 40 shots nightly. I enjoy the back and forth though it just reinforces the fact some of you have no place under the critical thinking hangar. Some of you are great here at HF the others who are thin skinned pedestrian fans who just cant accept an opposing viewpoint or a quip on a players name. Some of you vastly overate Stionk and get annoyed that I call him Stionk. How juvenile.
Yeah, I guess if that many people were listening to me, that would enforce that I "knew what I were talking about". Guessing you think it's really funny to call him Stionk. Yeah, I'm sure he deserves being called that. Would you tell that to his face? Probably not.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
This kid being pegged as a 5/6 is so unfair. He's outperformed at every level. Has incredible hockey sense across the whole 200 feet (yes he will always have some situational d zone disadvantages) but he can create and lead a breakout, plus he'd probably be my first choice to be the dman back defending an odd man rush because of his stick and understanding of timing/angles. He's got talent/vision in the ozone and a great shot - one timer is a bomb and is the first dman we've had since maybe Leetch (not putting him on that level/making that overall comparison) that can consistently find a lane to snap/wrist one through traffic on net. He's got some bite and doesn't back down. I'm all in on him - he's gonna turn out and be a top 4 staple for a decade.

Becoming 3/4 is definitely not out of question for Pionk’s eventual development but then it would become a numbers game in the organization. If at least one or two of our prospects realized his potential at closer to projected ceiling level and / or the Rangers acquire another top pair defenseman via UFA or a trade, would Pionk be able to take a spot over Skjei, (healthy) Shattenkirk etc? Would be a good problem to have.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
To be a legit 2nd pairing defenseman you need a sustained period to time to prove you can handle tough matchups, to effectively kill penalties and hopefully add in some offense. We're seeing good signs from Pionk IMO but we're going to have to be well into next year with him playing at least the same if not better for me to start saying he's a 2nd pairing defenseman. Right now I would say he looks to be a legit NHL player though. Not sure I feel the same way about some others who've been filling in and I'm not saying that those others haven't done pretty well or better than expected...just not sure if they're going to stick when things sort themselves out. To me the real late season finds are Pionk and Georgiev. They both look legit.....and so much for prospect ratings when you think about it because for all these raters and rankers Pionk was probably on the radar but not that big a deal and Georgiev not at all. The Rangers had more down in Hartford than almost anyone thought.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I would not say I am all in, but he looks like a NHL defender. What pair he eventually fits into I don't know but does it really matter, the Rangers currently have and may next season have a whole set of D playing a pair or two above where they likely should be.

Last edited:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
This is absolutely correct. A reliable sixth defenseman that we obtained for a simple ELC is terrific in its own right. I do believe Pionk will be a fair bit better than that, but even if he's not, and just simply an NHL regular, that's a great thing.

I think if Pionk is on our 3rd pair (and can move up in case of injury), then we are doing well, because that means we have (presumably) better players on the 1st two pairs. That's a defense that can contend, IMO. Unfortunately, we're still a ways away from seeing that.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Pionk IMO is going to be a far better player than Diaz or Clendening. I never really understood the love for either of them. They were both weak in the defensive zone and neither was capable of producing serious offensive production at the NHL level. Diaz last I knew disappeared into the Swiss NLA league and Clendening couldn't crack the Arizona roster this year (worst record in the league) and has spent almost the entire season in the AHL. I think for a lot of posters here they became the anti-Girardi as in anybody but Dan. But now that Dan toils in Tampa as more or less a bottom pairing guy the Tampa fans seem to like him. Go figure. The way I look at it AV's defensive scheme played to and exposed Girardi's weaknesses but in a more conventional defensive system Dan does alright. But Diaz and Clendening were never very good in my eyes.

You can also put Kampfer in that discussion... all the type of RH 7Ds to which Vigneault seems partial. Diaz has a good shot: that can make you a fan favorite< especially at RD.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
You can also put Kampfer in that discussion... all the type of RH 7Ds to which Vigneault seems partial. Diaz has a good shot: that can make you a fan favorite< especially at RD.

I actually don't mind Kampfer. IMO he competes harder than Diaz or Clendening did. He skates well--moves the puck okay and he hits. He ain't very big though. He's kind of like Matt Hunwick or a smaller Steve Eminger. Kampfer fits a role well.....even if the role isn't to play much. Clendening was bitching last year about that--this year he's in Tuscon....couldn't make the Coyotes.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I'd like to see what he can do in a better system. AV's system is horrible. Pionk is good defensively and I'll stick by that, he'll be a solid middle pairing guy (think Klein level minus his last year here) he has physicality, offense, IQ, and defensive tools.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
He doesn't have the shot that Ellis has, but very few do.

Can definitely see him as a #4 on defense for a while. Could he become more? Of course, but I think at this point, projecting him more than a 2nd pairing guy is generous. He's getting the top pairing minutes now, but if things are handled right he probably slots into the 2nd pairing.
Serious question to you and others.......while the 1st and 2nd pairing minutes doesn't differ that much, its more a case of whom he is playing against, right? So.......if he is "handling" 1st pair minutes now.......will he "flourish" being 2nd pair, or is it best served that he continue to play against the tougher opponents, which quite possibly could "improve" his game that much quicker?

Also, we all saw what he did against Letang, but is that something we advocate? Is that something we want or deemed pretty dangerous?

I mean if you limit him (and say he is only at best gonna be 2nd pairing) then that's what he will become. But if you challenge him....... Just curious what u guys think.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
So.... where to begin?

"Stionk" isn't funny. To a juvenile person, maybe. See what I did there?

And, yeah, let's hop on a message board after 17 games and declare that a guy who wasn't even supposed to be playing here this season as the next Adam Clendening without a single sentence to let us know how your magnificence came up with this prognostication.

Then, let's wax poetic about our internet greatness and how many people are listening to your podcasts as if anyone here gives a ****. Half of your listeners might be laughing. Half might use it as a sleep aid. Some might actually listen to it. Poor them.

The truth is that Pionk has been a really pleasant surprise for those of us paying attention during this miserable last few weeks where our organization waved the white flag. God forbid that some of us talk about one of the few bright spots without having The Vastly Followed Mouth come in here and rain on our parade. Critical thinking doesn't come up with a ceiling for a 22 year old that's played 17 NHL games and his **** team is relying on him to play 25 minutes a night against guys like Crosby and Malkin when he was in Hartford a month ago.

Go curse at me on your podcast. I won't be listening.
Can I like this a 100x? Couldn't have said it any better. I'm not allowing him to rain on my parade for this kid......he and others have been quite the pleasant surprise.
On another note......you know, Shatty and all his misgivings with this injury and all.......just may become quite the mentor for these kids. Wouldn't it be wonderful if he helps them all offensively.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida

That spot does need to be filled, and maybe someday it gives our future coach a REAL REASON to even out the workload. If he is the WORST that we have, I think we will be in good shape. But yeah, we all would want him to achieve better status.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Serious question to you and others.......while the 1st and 2nd pairing minutes doesn't differ that much, its more a case of whom he is playing against, right? So.......if he is "handling" 1st pair minutes now.......will he "flourish" being 2nd pair, or is it best served that he continue to play against the tougher opponents, which quite possibly could "improve" his game that much quicker?

Also, we all saw what he did against Letang, but is that something we advocate? Is that something we want or deemed pretty dangerous?

I mean if you limit him (and say he is only at best gonna be 2nd pairing) then that's what he will become. But if you challenge him....... Just curious what u guys think.

More about who he plays with than against. We don't need another Girardi situation where he ends up playing above his slot for most of his career.

He's been thrown into the fire and he's playing okay. You don't want to overproject the player, but he has some tools to be a top pair guy. He does lack some size, but that's fine.

We need to see him without AV. It's at that point for all these guys. Right now this is all for experience in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad