Player Discussion Neal Pionk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Strangely enough I imagined him anchoring a guy like ADA, if he sticks.

That would be the other player that he would complement. If I’m envisioning this team on defense going forward, I see two sets of potential pairings - I continue to harp on the idea that there is no better fit for this team in this draft than Boqvist, who I would pair with Hajek (if he develops accordingly.). The other is Lindgren with either Pionk or ADA. The interesting one is Rykov. My feeling is that in two or so years, we won’t see one of Pionk or ADA on this team. I can see another RD on the 2nd pairing. I also wonder what happens with Skjei. If he properly develops, he’s good to go on the 2nd pairing. But, I can see the Rangers moving him if say, Winnipeg doesn’t want to splurge on Trouba. Would a deal this off-season of say, Skjei, a young forward and TB’s 1st get it done?

Reactions: belford222

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Stralman is a little bigger and stronger than Pionk but OTOH while Stralsy moved the puck for us he created very little from the blueline and in. He scored very little.

Pionk haven’t scored a ton in the AHL nor for us in the NHL — but I think he has a bit potential there. Very fast windup. Good at making a move to open up a lane and let it go. Moves the puck well.

But it’s hard to tell, scoring a goal in this league is very hard. Often when players can create chances it’s only a matter of time before points start to come. But it’s no guarantee.
Neal has more offense to his game than stats have shown and I think we'll see more of it as he settles in. He has a good shot and righty one timer. Digging deeper into his AHL stats, he clearly focused on his defensive game first before gaining some confidence and also getting some pp time later. In 48 games in Hartford he has 1 g a 16 a but he put up 1 g and 10 assists in his last 19 games before the call up. So he did well to turn things around and start adding offense before the call up.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
That would be the other player that he would complement. If I’m envisioning this team on defense going forward, I see two sets of potential pairings - I continue to harp on the idea that there is no better fit for this team in this draft than Boqvist, who I would pair with Hajek (if he develops accordingly.). The other is Lindgren with either Pionk or ADA. The interesting one is Rykov. My feeling is that in two or so years, we won’t see one of Pionk or ADA on this team. I can see another RD on the 2nd pairing. I also wonder what happens with Skjei. If he properly develops, he’s good to go on the 2nd pairing. But, I can see the Rangers moving him if say, Winnipeg doesn’t want to splurge on Trouba. Would a deal this off-season of say, Skjei, a young forward and TB’s 1st get it done?

I am lukewarm on Trouba.

There's a lot to like there, but I also would like to see him average more than 60-65 games per season, which he's done three out of four years and is just about on pace to do again this season.

I have a gut feeling Trouba's next contract could look pretty bad in a hurry.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
My problem with Pionk is that he chips the puck off the boards a bit too frequently. Not sure if anyone else noticed that. I think there are positives to his game though.

Reactions: Machinehead

mrmel329

Feb 28, 2013
I loved the way Pionk battled Lucic. He kept coming back for more. The offense was there in college. I like that he is focusing on his defense first.

Has a chance to be a real player.

I agree but we need to get him away from AV asap.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I loved the way Pionk battled Lucic. He kept coming back for more. The offense was there in college. I like that he is focusing on his defense first.

Has a chance to be a real player.

The kid is gritty, I saw him stand up for a teammate and fight 6’4 220 lbs Joseph Labate in the AHL earlier this season.

Reactions: belford222

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
About 11 months ago, I posted that Pionk would be the most important UFA the Rangers could sign.

Glad it's working out so far. The brains are there, the two-three gears he's lacking are mynly concern.

He's had some wtf rookie turnovers, and some physical battles hes gotten totally molested on, but at this stage hes higher on my list than Ada.

Reactions: TheTakedown

The Mouth

Blueshirt Underground on You Tube
May 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
Zero Goals 4 assists and a -6 in 14 games. Wonderful player who's 20 minute "contribution" is part and parcel to a NYR defense that gives up 40 shots + a game if they are lucky. Feel free to show me the heat maps or whatever you people are looking at to justify your pedestrian opinions of Neal Stionk . As far as the nickname goes, it may not be a quip you enjoy but there are plenty of Ranger ans around the world who donate their hard earned money on a monthly basis to be both informed and entertained by me. How about you ? When the overrating of a player is so egregious as it in this case he needed a nickname. Remember Mclbust ? How did that turn out for you ?

Reactions: Tom Servo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->