NCIX files bankrupcy

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
what a shame. it was such a great company at startup. somewhere along the way they lose themselves. too much brick and mortar footprint. Hasn't been officially announced but they did file it with the BC supreme court friday. rip. So we have newegg still. tigerdirect is pretty much gone. pretty soon it'll be amazon only. It was interesting that linus tech tips was able to get full control paperwork and all of his youtube channel when he left NCIX so the courts won't be able to touch it. with 4 million subscribers its probably worth a pretty penny.

41:33 linus talks about it

CC479393-EBC1-42A5-81A2A1A7BC8CEF2A.JPG

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
It's been awhile coming. They used to be the gold standard as far as I was concerned, but apparently a combination of nepotism and yes-men (I think A led to B), combined with an owner who would ignore the few employees brave enough to tell him his ideas were stupid, and some employee abuse made this downfall all but certain.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Not surprised. Their customer service had become a joke and their website was simply pathetic.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Too bad. Price match, build service for $50, and just good prices in general a few years back made them hard to beat for awhile.

Their actual website was always **** though.

Yeah, I always hated their website! NewEgg has a lot of room for improvement, but their website is miles ahead!

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
I'm sad to hear that even tough i know they weren't as good as they used to be.Bought multiple PCs and parts from them.Less competition on the market is not a good thing.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I'm sad to hear that even tough i know they weren't as good as they used to be.Bought multiple PCs and parts from them.Less competition on the market is not a good thing.

I agree. On one hand, it's good to see a horrible employer go away, but on the other hand, less competition means potentially worse prices and worse service. They had some good people at NCIX, but didn't know how to value them and treat them accordingly.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Man I used to watch Linus videos on the NCIX youtube channel back in the day. I haven't watched Linus in a while, but it looks like he's doing pretty good for himself. It sucks about NCIX though.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
dang - I was a repeat customer from them too... still running a machine I bought there. What's this about them mistreating employees?

Funny to read about the website - I always thought the site was terrible too. Looks like I'm not the only one.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
For anyone interested, this reddit thread covers a lot of what is/was going on at NCIX.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Pretty much one of only 3 reasonable options for Computer parts here in Canada along with Newegg and Amazon, shitty.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Pretty much one of only 3 reasonable options for Computer parts here in Canada along with Newegg and Amazon, ****ty.

Memory Express has their moments... Mike's Computer Shop can be good if you pay attention to prices. But yeah, NCIX was where it was at for awhile.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Too bad. Price match, build service for $50, and just good prices in general a few years back made them hard to beat for awhile.

Their actual website was always **** though.

I have fond memories of buying from them but using Newegg's site for the actual specs.:laugh:

Memory Express has their moments... Mike's Computer Shop can be good if you pay attention to prices. But yeah, NCIX was where it was at for awhile.

I love Memory Express.

They seem to struggle a bit with stock and competitive pricing (price match is nice), but you can't beat their customer service.

Reactions: Kestrel

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I have fond memories of buying from them but using Newegg's site for the actual specs.:laugh:

I love Memory Express.

They seem to struggle a bit with stock and competitive pricing (price match is nice), but you can't beat their customer service.

I had one negative experience with Memory Express - but it was enough years ago that there would be no point holding it against them. I ordered a clearance motherboard online, and drove in to Calgary (about a 3 hour drive) to pick it up (no shipping for that item for some reason). When I went to pick it up, I was told it was sold out - but I was welcome to buy another motherboard - but of course, not a comparable one for a comparable price. When I was rather insistent that I wasn't just leaving without a similar deal, a manager was gotten for me. He looked me in the eyes, and told me that my printed off receipt was NOT contractual, that no sale had actually been agreed upon. I challenged him to show me just where on the receipt it indicated that. He took my receipt, walked about 30 feet away, read it up and down - and when he couldn't find anything, grabbed an employee, and disappeared to never be seen from again. The employee offered me an open box motherboard, same model, and I accepted it, but the manager didn't have the guts to come tell me he was wrong or apologize. He had been ready to tell me that I was out of luck, and had to drive 3 hours back home empty handed.

Like I said though, that was a long time ago, and just an individual manager - lesson learned is - if the store is doing something wrong, stand up for yourself :nod: As a whole, I think Memory Express is actually pretty good.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I've only had the online experience, but it's been great with them.

Can't say much for the storefront side.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I've only had the online experience, but it's been great with them.

Can't say much for the storefront side.

I think every chain sized company is going to have a dick in management at some point - I just had the luck of dealing with one of theirs first hand. I don't buy from them often, but I certainly won't let that one experience stop me from buying from them.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

Mike's Computer shop is also on Newegg and Amazon but yeah your right i've had good luck with them. As for Memory Express i've had others tell me that too but i've honestly never seen a good deal there if you include shipping and whatnot, not in store or online. I use PC Part Picker so it helps in finding the best price and i've yet to buy anything from them. Maybe one day... lol. Although that price match deal Commander Keen mentioned might be of use, i never realized it was a thing. Haha.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Mike's Computer shop is also on Newegg and Amazon but yeah your right i've had good luck with them. As for Memory Express i've had others tell me that too but i've honestly never seen a good deal there if you include shipping and whatnot, not in store or online. I use PC Part Picker so it helps in finding the best price and i've yet to buy anything from them. Maybe one day... lol. Although that price match deal Commander Keen mentioned might be of use, i never realized it was a thing. Haha.

Last I checked, I believe it was actually a price beat deal - they won't beat ALL prices, but if you can get them to beat a price, they will do so by a percentage of the difference of the price - ie, if the price is $100, but their price is $110, they will beat it by a portion of that $10 difference - if their price is $120 though, the savings are even bigger as they are now beating it by a portion of that $20 difference.

Reactions: Samus44

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
One annoying thing about this NCIX situation - they keep releasing their weekly sales - of which most of the items, you can't actually buy.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
One annoying thing about this NCIX situation - they keep releasing their weekly sales - of which most of the items, you can't actually buy.
I know. I used a $25 gift card last Friday and haven't heard a thing. It was all junk in stock. Not surprised. IMO shut the site down if you aren't going to ship anything out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->