NCHC Hockey thread

scRIbe

Sep 2, 2014
It's possible. IMO, it's the deepest conference in the country. If the squads do well in non-conference play, 6 is again a very real possibility. Only real weak team is CC right now and I don't think they'll be down long.

True enough. Western Michigan, though not in the same class as the six tournament contenders, is not someone to take lightly. And you may have a point about CC, although it doesn't help that Slavin left early.

If anything, those two teams could do some damage in nonconference action this year, and if they do, it will partially be because they grew from what they had to go through last winter.

scRIbe

Sep 2, 2014
All sorts of preseason polls will start flowing in soon. Who is everyone's team to beat in the league this year?

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
I don't know that there is a consensus. Every team has warts be it inexperience at a key position (defense, goaltending) an inability to score consistently, having to replace a lot up front or not being able to play well when it counts in second half. IMO 4-5 teams could win the league if things go their way

scRIbe

Sep 2, 2014
I don't know that there is a consensus. Every team has warts be it inexperience at a key position (defense, goaltending) an inability to score consistently, having to replace a lot up front or not being able to play well when it counts in second half. IMO 4-5 teams could win the league if things go their way

A fair point. Guess it simply depends on what you consider most important. If we're adhering to the idea that it starts with goaltending and defense, then North Dakota and Omaha have the taller tasks.

goon

The story around the UND locker room has been center around the goalies and the play of walk-on goalie Matt Hrynkiw

UND Hockey: Matt Hrynkiw Takes over in Net

And in other news:
• NCHC teams posted a combined non-conference record of 12-2-1 in games last week and are now 19-7-4 on the season with the .700 win percentage leading all conferences. NCHC teams are 10-1-2 against WCHA foes and 6-0-0 against Big Ten teams so far this season. This weekend three NCHC teams face ECAC Hockey foes, the first meetings between the conferences this year.

• Last Saturday, Oct. 17, the seven NCHC teams in action combined to allow a total of just six goals as three teams pitched shutouts (SCSU, UMD and Denver) while no team allowed more than two goals in a game Saturday night.

• Only three teams in the NCAA are currently 4-0-0 with two hailing from the NCHC in Omaha and St. Cloud State. The other 4-0-0 team is Quinnipiac, which hosts SCSU in a top-15 series this weekend.

• The NCHC continues to lead all conferences with six ranked teams in both the USCHO.com Poll and the USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine Poll. Two different NCHC teams are ranked atop the polls with North Dakota No. 1 in the USCHO Poll and Omaha No. 1 in the USA Hockey Magazine Poll, marking the Mavericks’ first No. 1 ranking in program history. Three NCHC teams rank in the top five and five rank in the top 10 of both national polls as well, with seven NCHC teams getting votes.

scRIbe

Sep 2, 2014
Wow. Wisconsin handed North Dakota its first loss last night. But according to the box score, even though he didn't play, Matej Tomek suited up, so that could be a good sign.

goon

What are they saying now after that sweep by Western Michigan? I, for one, believe that was more indicative of the Broncos' capabilities and could be a beneficial wakeup call for the Mavericks going forward.

I think UNO is a decent hockey team, but not a world beater by any stretch. I think there is a lot of parity in college hockey this season. I think Western is going to be decent this season, but they seem to be a bit inconsistent.

scRIbe

Sep 2, 2014
I think UNO is a decent hockey team, but not a world beater by any stretch. I think there is a lot of parity in college hockey this season. I think Western is going to be decent this season, but they seem to be a bit inconsistent.

I know the sample size is small, but I wonder if we should read something into the fact that Omaha swept its two road nonconference series, but has lost its first two away games against an NCHC opponent.

goon

I know the sample size is small, but I wonder if we should read something into the fact that Omaha swept its two road nonconference series, but has lost its first two away games against an NCHC opponent.

Yeah, I don't know what to make out of it. Especially, after WMU got beat 11-1 to SCSU. Although, the NCHC has proved to be a tough league all the way around.

goon

FRIDAY’S HIGHLIGHTS AND NOTES
• All eight NCHC teams were in action Friday, all in conference play, as the home team won all four games. Of 28 conference games played so far this season, the home team has gone 16-10-2 (.607) in those games.

• North Dakota senior forward Drake Caggiula recorded his second straight three-point game in No. 4/4 UND’s 5-1 win over No. 9/9 Denver. Caggiula scored a goal and added two assists, giving him 100 points for his career as he is the 85th player in UND history to join the century club. Caggiula has 12 goals on the season, which ties for first nationally along with Omaha junior forward Austin Ortega and New Hampshire’s Andrew Poturalski. Caggiula now has eight points (5g, 3a) in his last three games.

• UND sophomore forward Nick Schmaltz scored his third goal of the season in Friday’s win to extend his point streak to eight games with 16 points (3g, 13a) in that span. He is tied for first nationally with 19 assists on the season. Caggiula is third nationally with 24 points while Schmaltz is tied for fifth with 22 points. Freshman linemate Brock Boeser tallied two goals in the win, giving him 10 goals this season, which leads all NCAA rookies.

• No. 17 Minnesota Duluth pitched its third straight shutout with a 7-0 win over Western Michigan. Sophomore goaltender Kasimir Kaskisuo has been in net for all three shutouts as he now has four shutouts on the season, which is tied for third nationally with SCSU junior Charlie Lindgren. Kaskisuo joins Lindgren as the only NCHC goalie to pitch three straight shutouts (Lindgren did so to start this season) while Kaskisuo is the only one to ever do it in conference play. He extended his UMD and NCHC record shutout streak to 230:20 and now has five shutouts in his career.

• UMD’s seven goals Friday marked a season high as the Bulldogs have outscored opponents 18-0 over the three-game shutout streak. Sophomore forward Karson Kuhlman scored two goals in the win for his first career multi-goal game as a Bulldog.

• Colorado College earned its first conference win of the season with a 2-1 comeback victory over Miami. Senior forward Hunter Fejes scored a pair of third period goals to lift CC to the win, doubling his season goal total in the process. It was his third career multi-goal game and first since Jan. 16, 2015 against Omaha. The Tigers have now won two games in a row, their first back-to-back wins since Jan. 6 and 16 last season against UConn and when Fejes had two goals against the Mavericks.

• CC junior forward Luc Gerdes assisted on both Tiger goals Friday, giving him three multi-point games this season (all six of his points). He had two career multi-point games entering this season with one each season.

• St. Cloud State freshman forward Robby Jackson scored two goals in the Huskies’ 4-1 win over No. 6/6 Omaha, marking his second career multi-goal game with his first in his collegiate debut (10/10/15 at UAA). SCSU has scored at least three goals in all seven conference games this year (29 goals total in its last five conference games) and ranks third nationally averaging 4.27 goals per game overall this season.

• Omaha junior forward Jake Guentzel scored UNO’s lone goal short-handed. The Mavericks lead the NCAA with six short-handed goals this season, two more than any other team, half of which are by Guentzel.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
I'm a UNO fan, season ticket holder actually, but anyway.

Just coming in to say how I've been really impressed so far with our freshman goaltender Evan Weninger so far. He and Thompson had a huge hole to fill with Massa leaving and they've done a pretty respectable job so far, IMHO. So far we've been about how I expected us to be, inconsistent.

Anyway, just figured I'd check in.

scRIbe

Sep 2, 2014
I'm a UNO fan, season ticket holder actually, but anyway.

Just coming in to say how I've been really impressed so far with our freshman goaltender Evan Weninger so far. He and Thompson had a huge hole to fill with Massa leaving and they've done a pretty respectable job so far, IMHO. So far we've been about how I expected us to be, inconsistent.

Anyway, just figured I'd check in.

Pretty impressive win for the Mavericks last time out, no?
http://www.omaha.com/uno/seven-mave...cle_89cfafc8-9bc9-11e5-86e0-afec105c340f.html

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->