NCAA to Allow Opt-in Waiver for NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
Great news!!! I didn't think they would change it, but I'm glad I was wrong.

Pachoo

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
This is awesome news. With my Thrashers picking 10th overall, the more high quality players who deserve to go in the early part of the 1st round the better. Stafford, Thelen and O'Neil are all very good talents and should all go in the top 15. :banana:

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Okay, I need someone to explain this to me again. How come someone like Vanek last year was able to opt in without sacrificing his eligibility, whereas guys like Stafford, O'Neill, and Thelen have to give it up to enter the draft?

jincargo

Jan 28, 2004
PhoPhan said:
Okay, I need someone to explain this to me again. How come someone like Vanek last year was able to opt in without sacrificing his eligibility, whereas guys like Stafford, O'Neill, and Thelen have to give it up to enter the draft?
Age.

X-SHARKIE

PhoPhan said:

Thomas Vanek was actually eligible in 2002, he wouldve had to opt in though for the draft and he wouldve not been able to go to Minnesota. He was a absolute dominate force in the USHL and wouldve been a day one pick in 2002 but he was very smart to take his game to college and bumped his status all the way into the top 5.

Blatny Spears

Feb 27, 2002
Toxostoma rufum
Visit site
PhoPhan said:
And what age is that?
19. Under the old rules, if you turned 19 by this September 15th, you were eligible without having to give up eligibility. If you turned 19 after that date, you had to forfeit eligibility to enter the draft. Now, young guys like Thelen can enter the draft without giving up eligibility.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
This decision simply only makes sense. It was so impractical given the nature of the NHL draft to not allow players to continue to play college after being drafted.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Wow, what an impact this has on the draft this summer. Thelen, Stafford and O'Neil are all 1st rounders and could all be top 20 picks, so this makes the draft a little deeper. Great job to change the rule. :yo: :handclap: :banana: :jump:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad