NCAA players opting into draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AE12

Dec 6, 2003
MI
Visit site
A few monthes back someone was saying that NCAA coaches with players who would loss their NCAA status if they opt into the upcoming draft were trying to get the rule changed. Does anyone know if that was true and if true where does the revision stand at this point?

FlyersFan10*

AE12 said:
A few monthes back someone was saying that NCAA coaches with players who would loss their NCAA status if they opt into the upcoming draft were trying to get the rule changed. Does anyone know if that was true and if true where does the revision stand at this point?

I don't know about that. I thought the only time a player loses their NCAA status is when they sign an agent and they sign a pro contract with a team. I don't think the NCAA would ever strip the status of a player if they haven't signed an agent and signed a pro contract.

AE12

Dec 6, 2003
MI
Visit site
Rule change

FlyersFan10 said:
I don't know about that. I thought the only time a player loses their NCAA status is when they sign an agent and they sign a pro contract with a team. I don't think the NCAA would ever strip the status of a player if they haven't signed an agent and signed a pro contract.

The rule changed in the Fall of 2002. If a student who accelerates a year of high school to go to college early and opts into the draft their freshmen year loses their NCAA status and must leave college. This is the current rule.
Their are a few players that are 1st round picks for 2004 draft who will have to leave college if they opt in.
Does anyone know if the coaches had any success changing this rule?

AE12

Dec 6, 2003
MI
Visit site
Explanation of the rule

Red Line Report of the Rule:
In a move that can only be described as a complete and utter defiance of all logic and sensibility, the NCAA has now ruled that they will allow 18-year-olds who have not yet entered university to make themselves available for the NHL Entry Draft without losing their collegiate eligibility.

Nothing so unusual about that on the surface. In fact, it's exactly what logic should have dictated about a decade ago, since all other players the world over could enter the draft at age 18.

It's the second part of the ruling that makes it mind boggling. And it goes like this: 18-year-olds who HAVE already entered university are still not allowed to opt-in to the draft without having their collegiate eligibility (and valuable scholarships) stripped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->