College Hockey NCAA Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Boston University hosted 2 games with Minnesota State over the past weekend and BU was outscored 9-3 in the 2 games.

As the season heats up here are the rankings

upload_2017-10-16_14-1-12.png

Bruins1233

Apr 30, 2016
The season has started in earnest, and last years thread seemed busy enough to justify a new one, so here it goes.

Thus far in HEA, UMass-Amherst and UNH seemed to show marked improvement over last year.

UML and BU are struggling to start the season, but probably to be expected as they lost much of their core talent to the NHL/AHL. UConn seemed to struggle against Atlantic Hockey opponents Sacred Heart and AIC.

BC/Prov seem to have started where they left off.

Northeastern tied an Atlantic Hockey opponent at RIT's Brick City Homecoming game, although they battled back from 3-0 down, after losing the NCAA's Top scorer to the Pros.

anyhow, this is not necessarily limited to New England teams, but I have a hunch it may be the focus.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
NCAA Hockey 101: Which teams will see their fortunes change?

Early in the season, results can be very strange indeed.

On opening weekend, the preseason No. 5 team in the country, UMass Lowell, was swept in a home-and-home series to open the season by lowly UNH, a team picked to finish close to the bottom of its own conference. Instead, those Wildcats are now 4-0 to start the year.
And the strange results don’t end there.

Preseason No. 2 BU, with dreams of a Frozen Four appearance, was just swept — at home — by a solid if less-talented Minnesota State club that should run the show in the WCHA.

Preseason No. 6 Minnesota-Duluth has just one win from four games, including going winless this past weekend in a home-and-home with Bemidji State.

Colorado College has the best record in the NCHC. Clarkson is 3-0-1. Union is 0-5.

You can go on like this.

Bruins1233

Apr 30, 2016
UNH might be legit this year, 5-0 This year, swept UML and beat a ranked CC roundly last night.

UML also pulled off an "upset" against a high ranked Clarkson Team.

Mac also tied #3 Minnesota Duluth (and beat them in a for-funsies shootout)

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I have wondered why Syracuse never embraced college hockey

http://suhockey.com/

My daughter is a first year Law student at SU and she asked me the same thing. Told her I had no idea.

I did learn that there is a ton of good non-varsity college hockey being played under the leadership of the ACHA:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Collegiate_Hockey_Association#

http://achahockey.org/view/achahockey/acha-hockey-news/news_467345

Interesting stuff. Never knew anything about this league until recently.

Bruins1233

Apr 30, 2016
For anyone interested all BC home games are on ESPN 3. They take up Merrimack tonight at 7.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
TORONTO – Team NCAA, also known as the 2017-18 Bruins, will take on the Maple Leafs here Friday night, with no fewer than 11 of the 18 Black-and-Gold skaters having selected the US college game as their preferred route to the NHL.
What was once the anomaly (top of the mornin’, Bobby Miller), has become de rigueur for the Bruins: college kids increasingly frame the personnel picture.
“In general, there are more American kids playing the game,” said coach Bruce Cassidy, asked about the growing influence of college players across the NHL. “I think that has a lot do with it. They’re naturally going to gravitate toward college, as opposed to the junior route — and I think Canadian kids now are going the college route more and more because of the level of play.”

As the Bruins can attest, more players taking college route to the NHL - The Boston Globe

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston

Nu with a big win again but more importantly check out the the play I think I embedded above. Also the veterans day unis were awesome.

Reactions: PlinySR

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site

Nu with a big win again but more importantly check out the the play I think I embedded above. Also the veterans day unis were awesome.

I was there, ouch. That said, I always enjoy coming to Matthews(my father was NU Class of '48). To their credit, the Terriers regrouped for a solid win on Sat. night over an improved UNH squad. Now we have two games in Orono next weekend, always fun.

Slick passing leads to a goal by Ty Amonte(son of Tony):

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I was there, ouch. That said, I always enjoy coming to Matthews(my father was NU Class of '48). To their credit, the Terriers regrouped for a solid win on Sat. night over an improved UNH squad. Now we have two games in Orono next weekend, always fun.

Slick passing leads to a goal by Ty Amonte(son of Tony):

I believe the 11/18 game is in Portland, Terrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->