NCAA Draft Picks '04

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

I think the two top defensemen from the NCAA are A.J. Thelen and Wes O'Neill.

db23

I have to think that Thelen will go in the top 5. He is bigger than Ryan Whitney or Ryan Suter (5th and 7th overall picks), entered the NCAA when he was a year younger, and had better statistics than either did as a rookie. He was voted the top defenceman in the CCHA as a 17 year old. Neither of the other two was (or will be) the top defenceman in their league.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
db23 said:
I have to think that Thelen will go in the top 5. He is bigger than Ryan Whitney or Ryan Suter (5th and 7th overall picks), entered the NCAA when he was a year younger, and had better statistics than either did as a rookie. He was voted the top defenceman in the CCHA as a 17 year old. Neither of the other two was (or will be) the top defenceman in their league.

Thelan is listed at 6'3 by uscho.com, Whitney at 6'4.

Pretty presumptious of you to say that Suter and Whitney will never be the top defensemen in their league. You couldn't possibly know.

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Thelan is listed at 6'3 by uscho.com, Whitney at 6'4.

Pretty presumptious of you to say that Suter and Whitney will never be the top defensemen in their league. You couldn't possibly know.

Its a good guess though. Both most likely will be in the NHL before their Senior years so its not like they have to many other chances to get that honor.

Taller and Bigger are two different things.....

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Tadite said:
Its a good guess though. Both most likely will be in the NHL before their Senior years so its not like they have to many other chances to get that honor.

I agree. But flat out saying that they won't? That's presumptious.

Tadite said:
Taller and Bigger are two different things.....

Very rarely IMO.

Anyways my first post in response to db23 wasn't particularly focussed on what I actually had a problem with. Basically I just disagreed with db23's logic. Thelan should go top 5 because Whitney and Suter went top 10 and he got an accolade at a young age that they did not and is bigger than Suter? That's pretty wishy-washy logic.

Hey if someone wants to argue that Thelan is worthy of a top 5 pick because of his on ice play and how he projects to the NHL then great. But don't try and infer he's better than Suter and Whitney because of an inch or two and a college award. That kind of logic just doesn't make sense.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
HabFan1084 said:
Hey

Im curious to see where NCAA players will go in this years draft. Im more concerned with defenseman.

Whos the best defenseman prospects?

What rounds will they go?

Take care,

Kev

Well I can't see most of the big name NCAAers opting in. Thelen, O'Neill, Stafford, Pineault, Siglet, Hensick, can't see these guys leaving their respective programs.

But as far as talent goes for defensmen, I'd say

Thelen- 2nd youngest player in the NCAA, big, skates well, plays physical, has a nice shot, seems solid in his own end from the few times I've seen him.

O'Neill- big, skates well, not very physical from the few times I've seen him at ND. I guess I was expecting a little more due to the hype on him early on this season, but he's a fine prospect even though I find his offensive game lacking a bit.

Casey Borer- I like this kid a lot, and would like to see the Habs grab him if possible. He's big, but is solid in his own end and somewhat physcial. Not the most gifted offensively, but seems very steady out there. Not talked about too much, but a solid pick in say the 3rd round ?

Jonathan Siglet- I havent' seen, but I've heard a ton of good things about him. Oilers Chick could add more then me.

After these guys it's tough to say

Kevin Schaeffer- seems to have some decent skill, good size. Didn't notice him to much last time I saw BU.

Grant Lewis- Another guy I would like to see the Habs go for, has good offensive upside as he was one of the top scoring D men in the ECAC. I never get to see Dartmouth, so maybe someone else can add more.

Steve Birnstill- Saw him once at NE this year. Big, skates well, seemed to play well in his own end on a bad team.

Jeff Likens- Small but plays with a lot of heart, has good skills but his size will hurt him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->