NCAA Division I Conferences Ranking

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Atlantic Hockey, Big Ten, ECAC Hockey, Hockey East, NCHC, WCHA.
Which conference is the hardest to play in in order and possible by what margins (if there is notable gaps)?
I am trying to assess the value of a point in each league.

Buddlee

Apr 15, 2018
This year it looks to be

NCHC
Big Ten
ECAC
Hockey East
WCHA
Atlantic Hockey
Agree
2IEvMC0

2kfXDtv

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
So, this ranking changes year to year?

Now could you tell me, which University has the best ice-hockey program? Boston?
Kinda, because the teams change from year to year.

Not really sure if there is a best one right now. Would have said Boston College a few years ago but they have fallen off. The best teams of the past 5 or so years I would say Denver, North Dakota, or Duluth. All have a title and more than one Frozen Four appearance.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... Now could you tell me, which University has the best ice-hockey program? Boston?
Since the goal of many NCAA Div I men's hockey players is to get to the NHL, it makes sense to me to focus on that level of success in judging which school has "the best ice-hockey program." Greg Wyshynski writing for ESPN.com a couple of months ago ranked his "top 10 ultimate lineups in NCAA men's Division I hockey history" based on players from 10 teams over th last 30 years who had gone on to some success in the NHL. For more current data, the College Hockey, Inc. website published a list sortable by school (and other parameters) of NCAA Div I players chosen in the 2017 NHL draft, which shows Boston U having the highest number for that particular draft. This College Hockey News list of players on current NCAA Div I rosters who have been drafted by NHL teams indicates the University of Minnesota has one more draftee than BU over the last few years.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
And how is it with the study level? I know that it depends mostly on what you want to study. Space science or chemie is difficult. But it is a big jump if you are on Boston College or Harvard? Now looking form hockey players perspective.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
And how is it with the study level? I know that it depends mostly on what you want to study. Space science or chemie is difficult. But it is a big jump if you are on Boston College or Harvard? Now looking from hockey players perspective.
If you look at USA Today's 2016 listing of Top 10 U.S. colleges for men's ice hockey, you'll notice a trend in the university degree course studies for players on their rosters. Lots of social sciences degree pursuits (psychology, economics, political science), not so many in science/technology/engineering/mathematics (STEM) core studies. The noteworthy exception is Clarkson University, which is a small engineering career-focused institution in Upstate New York with a traditionally good hockey program (men & women). So it seems that the male NCAA Div I hockey player population is inclined to reduce academic challenges while increasing their level of athletic competition.

Last edited:

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
1. You referenced Clarkson but somehow forgot RPI, possibly the nation's best engineering school, which plays in the same conference.
2. Ask any ECAC student-athlete (well, maybe not Quinnipiac) how reduced their challenge in academics is. You'll get laughed at and/or punched in the face.
3. USA Today's sports department knows absolutely nothing about college hockey, so don't take their "Top 10" list seriously. Holy Cross is on it, FFS.

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
Would you guys say Atlantic Hockey and WCHA are on par with Usports or above it? It does seem as if those 2 conferences are the weakest in NCAA division 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->