NCAA D1 Council Grants Immediate Transfer Waivers

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
We oughta be seeing unprecedented numbers of holiday break transfers in college hockey players (women & men) this year due to this NCAA decision ... :popcorn:
DI Council grants waiver to allow transfer student-athletes to compete immediately

Transfers must have been from another Division I, four-year school and enrolled in fall 2020

December 16, 2020 6:31pm
Michelle Brutlag Hosick

The Division I Council granted a blanket waiver allowing all transfer student-athletes to compete immediately this season if specific criteria are met.

In order to be eligible for the waiver, the transfer student-athletes must meet the following conditions:
  • They must be enrolled full time at the school for the fall 2020 term.
  • It must be the first transfer from a four-year school.
  • The student-athlete must have left their previous school in good standing academically and not facing disciplinary suspension.
  • Both the head coach and the student-athlete must certify that impermissible recruiting did not take place.
The waiver applies only to students who transferred from another Division I school, not transfers from other NCAA divisions or schools outside the NCAA. The regular transfer waiver process is available to non-Division I transfer student-athletes. ...

Applicable to all sports, the waiver was initially proposed by the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association and was supported by the Men’s and Women’s Basketball Oversight Committees, the Student-Athlete Experience Committee and the National Association of Basketball Coaches. Providing immediate eligibility for these students could help teams if their rosters are impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. ...

Read more at: DI Council grants waiver to allow transfer student-athletes to compete immediately

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Gophers Add Colin Schmidt to Roster
Men's Hockey | 1/2/2021 8:50:00 PM

MINNEAPOLIS – As the top-ranked Gopher men's hockey program prepares to start the second half, head coach Bob Motzko has announced that forward Colin Schmidt has been added to the 2020-21 roster.

A native of Wayzata, Minn., Schmidt spent the 2019-20 season at Union, skating in 32 games as a freshman and recording five points (one goal, four assists). The forward earned AHCA All-America Scholar and ECAC Hockey All-Academic honors with the Dutchmen....

Read more at: Gophers Add Colin Schmidt to Roster - University of Minnesota Athletics

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Bemidji State Beavers
MEN'S HOCKEY: Newcomer Ethan Gauer a rare mid-season addition for BSU

Bemidji State freshman defenseman Ethan Gauer recently joined the team mid-season after transferring from Alaska Anchorage.

Written By: Austin Monteith | Jan 29th 2021 - 7am

In a season full of the unexpected, Ethan Gauer has probably experienced it more than most in college hockey.

The freshman defenseman began the year at Alaska Anchorage, only to learn the university planned to eliminate the men’s hockey program at the end of the season.

Fortunately for Gauer, he was able to find a new team to call his own, and in his home state no less. The Farmington native joined the Bemidji State roster for the second semester and has been with the team for the last month.

“It was a pretty smooth transition,” Gauer said. “Obviously it’s sad to see what’s happening up in Anchorage. They’re all great people up there. The coaches up there helped me a lot in finding a new home. They were all really supportive and I’m really happy to be here.”

Gauer had already entered the transfer portal when even more bad news arrived: UAA was opting out of the 2020-21 season. The players who stuck around wouldn’t even get a chance to play one last time. ...

Read more at: MEN'S HOCKEY: Newcomer Ethan Gauer a rare mid-season addition for BSU | The Rink Live

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The other shoe (or skate) dropping in the NCAA regarding transfers ...
April 15, 2021

NCAA Takes Final Step Towards New Transfer Rule

CHN Staff Report

The NCAA's Division I Management Council approved legislation that will allow players to transfer once without having to sit out a year, as was required in the past.

The new legislation is pending final approval by the Board of Governors on April 28, though that is usually a formality.

Previously, athletes in all sports except men's hockey, baseball, football and men's and women's basketball could transfer freely. Now that will apply to all sports, including hockey. ...

Read more at: NCAA Takes Final Step Towards New Transfer Rule

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad