NCAA: NCAA Coaching Carousel 2017/18

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Oregon can't be too happy, given they're not really that far removed from Chip, they probably don't like being viewed as a stepping-stone. So, yeah, someone like Sumlin would probably be fine for them as long as he is able to keep up.
Oregon can't be too happy, given they're not really that far removed from Chip, they probably don't like being viewed as a stepping-stone. So, yeah, someone like Sumlin would probably be fine for them as long as he is able to keep up.

I don't think they are stepping stone when FSU was open for the first time in 41 years. Sumlin is a great recruiter and is a better coach than given credit for. Oregon also doesn't have the outside influence like Texas A&M does.

Reactions: Voight

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Sumlin seems to be able to recruit but his records don't seem to be any better than what guys who came after or before him or really any better than what you would expect.

A&M might have too big expectations but is 8-5 there really impressive?

Also, I may have missed something (likely in his recruits) but where are the West Coast connections that I repeatedly hear about Sumlin coming from? he coach as a GA 30 years ago at WSU but other than that has been a Midwest/Texas guy his whole life/career.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Texas A&M is an 8-5 school that thinks they are Alabama in terms of profile. The boosters dumped a ton of money into the stadium and facilities so they thought that gave them a reason to meddle with the football program. Sumlin recruited the west coast with the Ags pulling kids from Washington, California and Arizona. He's at least better than Willie Taggart as a coach and every bit the recruiter.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Outside of poor coaching what makes A&M a 8-5 school?

They have a strong recruiting base, great facilities, full support moneywise, ability to get top 10 classes.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Did you not read my post? The people that paid for those facilities have way too much pull in regards to the football program. It creates internal divisions and a toxic atmosphere. Maybe Jimbo will be able to keep them at bay but I doubt it. This became an issue when they joined the SEC.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Did you not read my post? The people that paid for those facilities have way too much pull in regards to the football program. It creates internal divisions and a toxic atmosphere. Maybe Jimbo will be able to keep them at bay but I doubt it. This became an issue when they joined the SEC.

I did read the post yes and I am not sure what that has to do with coaching.

Are they telling Sumlin how to coach the team? Not letting him manage the clock properly in games?

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
No clock management is on Sumlin. Forcing him to keep certain coaches and putting up with Kyler Murray's dad is booster related. I'm not saying he's a great coach but he's not terrible. Texas A&M can throw all the money in the world at its stadium and facilities but until the boosters know their role...it'll stay an 8-5 program.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Texas A&M is an 8-5 school that thinks they are Alabama in terms of profile. The boosters dumped a ton of money into the stadium and facilities so they thought that gave them a reason to meddle with the football program. Sumlin recruited the west coast with the Ags pulling kids from Washington, California and Arizona. He's at least better than Willie Taggart as a coach and every bit the recruiter.
If Kevin Sumlin lived up to expectations, I doubt they would have meddled as much. Beating Alabama, going 11-2 and having a freshman in Manziel win the Heisman in Sumlin's 1st year created expectations he couldn't live up to. Some of that is not his fault. But he still deserves a lot of blame for the gradual regression each season.

Taggart is extremely overrated so being a better coach doesn't mean much. I will agree both are elite level recruiters though.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
He does but its tough to put it all on him when you have to deal with meddling boosters. Jimbo had run ins with FSU boosters too.

Jeremy Pruitt will be the Tennessee coach barring a setback. This just stinks of Muschamp at UF.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Taggart was definitely a gamble. He's jumped 3 jobs in under a year so that will affect recruiting. Has had 3 "dream jobs". Getting the rep as a snakeoil salesman.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Look at their entire history. They rarely get 10 win seasons.

Seemed like Slocum had about 5-6 10 wins seasons in his time there and a few 9 win seasons.

Sumlin had two top 5, two top 15 and on 20th ranked (according to ESPN) recruiting classes in his time there. I know there is not a direct correlation, especially with 18-19 year olds but that seems to be enough talent to go more than 8-5.

He was what 0-fer against LSU, 1 win against Auburn, 1 win against Alabama?

I don't think he is a terrible coach but I haven't seen much from him to indicate he is a good coach either.

He seems to be a great recruiter and a great salesman as the media seem to really love him. Those are good qualities to have as a college coach.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Kevin Sumlin
Bryan Harsin
Justin Wilcox
Mario Cristobal

are on the Ducks narrow list.

I guess timing is everything sometimes in coaching, a mediocre time as HC at a group 5 and a medicore year as an OC gets you into consideration for Oregon? If he had that same season at any other Pac-12 or Big 5 program is he anywhere close to this list?

If he gets the job that seems like a very uninspiring hire.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
The only reason he's being considered is due to him being an elite recruiter and keeping Oregon's top 10 class together. I don't think he gets the job. It'll be Harsin or Sumlin.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Well anytime you can get a HC with career 47-67 head coaching record and was deservedly fired by FIU you have to do it.

I undertand the kids wanted him and he is supposed to be a great recruiter but going from 5 years ago with Chip Kelly and 12-1, 11-2, 12-2 (even a Helfrich 13-2) seasons to a guy who couldn't cut it at FIU seems insane for Oregon.

Couldn't they have found a way to keep him as OC if his recruiting was so important? Does coaching ability really matter so little nowadays?

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Oregon rarely jumps into the coaching carousel. They usually always promote from within. I know that Saban tried like hell to keep him. I think this hire will work out fine.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He was already co-offensive coordinator, although I don't know what they're structure is. If they were splitting the duties, I imagine he keeps much of the recruiting responsibilities he had and if anything simply just got full autonomy.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Marcus Arroyo will probably takeover as OC. This move also keeps a majority of the staff together. You know who is happy about this? Florida and Miami.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad