NBC next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
#1 I would sure hope this contract gets renewed

#2 They should do double headers instead of 3 regional game (2p and 5p eastern)

#3 More than 6 regular season Saturdays

#4 They should do whatever else to the NHL that made the NBA so big because of NBC

Discuss.

Last edited:

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
That includes using the song NBC used to use for basketball!

But I agree. Don't let people miss games, show one game to everyone, double header style.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
I don't know if that would work. The ratings for OLN are bad enough showing one game.

I would have more regional coverage as in, more weeks.

Start the same week, but go all the way through to the end of the season. Air games in Feb. and March. Tell a story. That's the problem. They don't show enough games in succession.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Stevedude530 said:
I don't know if that would work. The ratings for OLN are bad enough showing one game.

Start the same week, but go all the way through to the end of the season. Air games in Feb. and March. Tell a story. That's the problem. They don't show enough games in succession.

Well they show the AFL too...

OLN is still a cable station some people might not even know they have. Every household has NBC even if they don't have cable.

viking

Apr 4, 2003
Temecula,CA
Visit site
Stevedude530 said:

I like the idea of more double headers not every weekend, but at least half of the time on NBC. However the reason for the poor ratings on OLN is due to the fact that it does not reach that many homes and there is no marketing associated with the nhl. The NHL does not market itself well, how many commercials did you see leading up to the games this weekend. I would have had no clue if I didn't look it up. The NHL needs to step up the marketing and not leave it up to a SMALL cable channel to rebuild the popularity of the sport.

This is a new NHL and with the increase of Scoring league wide there needs to be some serious cash flow from all thirty teams to market it. It is just wasted effort to change the rules and increase scoring on the hope that they will garner a casual fan. There needs to be some serious stepping up by the league to bring attention to the TV schedule.

Jut myh 2 cents

SammyTheBull

Dec 1, 2005
I enjoyed it. Davidson is great on commentary and they always have someone interesting during the intermission Messier and Olczyk. Most of the guys from TSN are on NBC.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Does anyone know how the ratings have been so far on NBC? I'd really be interested to know.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
johnjm22 said:
Does anyone know how the ratings have been so far on NBC? I'd really be interested to know.

They got a 1.5 nationally the first week and a 1.3 this week, both times getting a 3% share. That's slightly down from what ABC was getting.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
It's still crazy they have to wait until Feb. to air any games. You miss 4 months of hockey until then- I know because of football which everything revolves around in the US sports world you have to wait till Feb and I for one think it is disgusting.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
hockeytown9321 said:
They got a 1.5 nationally the first week and a 1.3 this week, both times getting a 3% share. That's slightly down from what ABC was getting.

:shakehead

Jimmypop316

Jun 21, 2005
Dr Love said:
Agreed, but they've got more important commitments.

One can only take so much John Tesh.
what are you talking about? John Tesh is money in the bank!

More games, is really key. And theres only 6 weeks left of Regular season hockey?

Jazz

viking said:
I like the idea of more double headers not every weekend, but at least half of the time on NBC. However the reason for the poor ratings on OLN is due to the fact that it does not reach that many homes and there is no marketing associated with the nhl. The NHL does not market itself well, how many commercials did you see leading up to the games this weekend. I would have had no clue if I didn't look it up. The NHL needs to step up the marketing and not leave it up to a SMALL cable channel to rebuild the popularity of the sport.

This is a new NHL and with the increase of Scoring league wide there needs to be some serious cash flow from all thirty teams to market it. It is just wasted effort to change the rules and increase scoring on the hope that they will garner a casual fan. There needs to be some serious stepping up by the league to bring attention to the TV schedule.

Jut myh 2 cents
:clap:

As I keep mentioning, the NHL and the term "marketing" do not go hand-in-hand...

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
puck57 said:
It's still crazy they have to wait until Feb. to air any games. You miss 4 months of hockey until then- I know because of football which everything revolves around in the US sports world you have to wait till Feb and I for one think it is disgusting.

Agreed. Not a big football fan either, but what can we do about it? I guess people want to sit on their coach on sunday and watch a slow sport with guys tackling each other and then 5 minutes of commercials before another tackle.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
McDonald19 said:
Agreed. Not a big football fan either, but what can we do about it? I guess people want to sit on their coach on sunday and watch a slow sport with guys tackling each other and then 5 minutes of commercials before another tackle.

Come on, the NFL is just a perfect reflection of American culture - brief periods of intense violence punctuated by committee meetings (and commercials).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->