NBC cuts to news rather than stay with Stadium Series last 3 minutes

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The main issue was that SNL MUST start at 11:30 PM when it is a new episode.

A secondary issue is local affiliates have prepared for a 30-minute newscast and have sold time.
NBC has access to real time data from X1 boxes nationwide which can give them an indication of what the ratings will be and with a blowout in hockey and a close NBA game on ABC they decided to pull the plug.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Well, since there weren't two touchdowns scored in the last two minutes in the game last night, it doesn't compare to the Heidi Bowl at all.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
can't wait until the playoffs begin- OT, 2nd OT- and cut away to local news.

This wasn't the playoffs. When SNL is doing summer re-runs.

The NHL could've either gotten everyone interested in the seeing the end - assuming anybody actually wanted to - over to the network, or have their programming pre-empted without warning by the vast majority of affiliates who would've went to the news. Yes, they have done this during playoff overtime games, but it's a decision made by the affiliate.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
You guys know the final few minutes aired on NBCSN, right? [MOD], but they mentioned multiple times the conclusion of the game would be on NBCSN due to the lights going out for several minutes before.

Last edited by a moderator:

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
You guys know the final few minutes aired on NBCSN, right? [MOD], but they mentioned multiple times the conclusion of the game would be on NBCSN due to the lights going out for several minutes before.

That is like saying...a National Football game on an over-the-air channel...was switched to a paid cable channel...where due to the trend of cord-cutting...most people probably no longer have cable...I know I do not...and have been that way for several years...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Hull and Oates

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
That is like saying...a National Football game on an over-the-air channel...was switched to a paid cable channel...where due to the trend of cord-cutting...most people probably no longer have cable...I know I do not...and have been that way for several years...

You have cut the cord. Perhaps most of your friends have cut the cord. This does not mean "most people" no longer have cable. In fact, most people still have pay-TV service. You have an option, you made your choice (not stating you're right or wrong).

Reactions: Shockmaster

danderson400

May 21, 2015
CBC had the same issue tonight, but at least they had Sportsnet West to start the OIlers game on. Has CBC ever switched away from a game since the 80s anyway?

danderson400

May 21, 2015
With the NFL, NBC can't cut away to the news until the game is over, it happens all the time.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Cord Cutting Hits Another Record, Bashing Cable and Telecom Stocks

To quote:

"With almost 500,000 customers leaving in the fourth quarter alone, that left the industry with about 83 million households still subscribing.

The calculations don’t even include the growing number of households that didn’t subscribe to a pay TV service in the first place, known as “cord nevers” rather than “cord cutters.” But in total, approximately 13.5 million households do not pay for traditional forms of TV service currently, the firm estimated."

Source: fortune.com/2018/03/01/cord-cutting-record-internet-tv/

iceblue

Jul 30, 2004
Myrtle Beach
You have cut the cord. Perhaps most of your friends have cut the cord. This does not mean "most people" no longer have cable. In fact, most people still have pay-TV service. You have an option, you made your choice (not stating you're right or wrong).
Well a lot of people who still pay for cable are cutting back the stations- during the Olympics many people told me they no longer had NBCSN so... yeah I still do but poor way to handle an "event" game.

Reactions: Llama19

ref88

Feb 14, 2018
Not even close

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
If only there was some way to prevent this. Maybe stop with the 20-30 minutes of pregame theatrics. Maybe start the game a little earlier (I had an infomercial on for a half hour before the game.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad