NBA and ESPN/ABC Extend Through 2015-16 Season

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
Yea- pretty funny. The NBA gets "rewarded" for having terrible finals ratings with this extended contract with ESPN/ABC- makes perfect sense to me. All you hear on the radio today was about the draft- off course it is exciting now since they renewed the contract with the NBA. Just another sign any contract with the NHL is years away.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I was actually gonna make a thread on this.

The reason why there's so much NBA on ESPN is because it's parent company owns the rights to NBA. So who are they gonna cover more.. their property or NBC's property?

HughJass*

I'm still a little lost on what this has to do with the business of hockey.

Wait, I know:

:nopity:

I feel like we are about to have 5 pages of sour grapes.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
I'm still a little lost on what this has to do with the business of hockey.

Wait, I know:

:nopity:

I feel like we are about to have 5 pages of sour grapes.

It has to do with the business of hockey because it appears that the NHL is even farther removed than ever from getting back on ESPN since the network has committed for so long to basketball as well as bigger contracts with many of the other sports.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
No news here....this was expected. let's stop being jealous.

Yea- why should any true hockey fan wish for any type of a decent tv contract anyway- gee who do we think we are? We should really be embarrassed thinking such lofty thoughts.

Whalerfan11

Feb 28, 2006
ESPN just signed NASCAR, they just got Monday Night Football, and now they have a sweet deal with the NBA. This doesn't mean they are through or that the NHL has any less of a chance. If it made financial sense and Bettman really wanted it to happen the NHL could be back on ESPN. It would most likely have a home on ESPN2 most of the time but I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Don't assume that anything ESPN does in regards to major sports contracts will effect the NHLs chances at all. The situation is the same as before.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
ESPN just signed NASCAR, they just got Monday Night Football, and now they have a sweet deal with the NBA. This doesn't mean they are through or that the NHL has any less of a chance. If it made financial sense and Bettman really wanted it to happen the NHL could be back on ESPN. It would most likely have a home on ESPN2 most of the time but I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Don't assume that anything ESPN does in regards to major sports contracts will effect the NHLs chances at all. The situation is the same as before.

You are right about the situation being the same as before- ESPN thinks hockey and the NHL is a non-sport that is only worth mentioning if there is a "scandal"- like an on ice Bertuzzi incident or a gambling story. Forget it other than that- if you really think ESPN wants to take hockey seriously any time soon I will be glad to eat my words.

GernerPSU

Jun 4, 2006
State College
I don't think this is big news at all. I would have been absolutely shocked if it went the other way. Had it gone the other way I think it creates a huge gap to fill that the NHL could fill. As it is, this doesn't mean there isn't room for the NHL.

Fugu

New York Times:

N.B.A. Renews TV Pacts, Adding Links to Digital Use

By RICHARD SANDOMIR
Published: June 28, 2007

ESPN, ABC and TNT will continue to carry the N.B.A. through the 2015-16 season under eight-year contracts worth $7.4 billion that will let the networks exploit the league’s digital rights more extensively than in the past.

The negotiations were completed after the least-viewed N.B.A. finals and a postseason that saw reduced viewership for all the networks. Only ESPN posted an increase in people watching regular-season games. But ESPN had one million fewer playoff viewers this year compared with 2006, and ABC generated 2.7 million fewer viewers, including the finals.

So TV viewership is declining not so much in total, but due to increased segmentation yet the rights to the digital property are worth $7+ billion (or 10 times the value of the old deal)? Here's the spin:
“We’re in this for the long term,†George Bodenheimer, the president of ESPN and ABC Sports, said yesterday during a news conference to announce the deals. “Sports are cyclical. You get long series and short series, but the N.B.A. is an incredibly consistent property for us.â€

“The desire for sports content hasn’t changed, but how fans consume it has,†N.B.A. Commissioner David Stern said. “What you’re seeing is the movement of rights to follow the fan to enhance the experience for those who want to experience it all.â€

Why doesn't that argument work for the NHL when the league starts getting skewered about diminishing TV ratings??

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
I don't understand this either, Fugu. Why the faith in the NBA to the tune of billions of dollars? Unless there's someone like Jordan coming down the pike again, it's never going to reach the heights it did in the 90s IMO. :dunno:

Fugu

I don't understand this either, Fugu. Why the faith in the NBA to the tune of billions of dollars? Unless there's someone like Jordan coming down the pike again, it's never going to reach the heights it did in the 90s IMO. :dunno:

Maybe the better question is this: If the NBA is worth $7 billion (~$900 MM per year) in a digital age, where does that put the NFL or MLB?

Just to be a pest.... what do people use to download digital content and is society increasingly mobile? Who might be on top of these types of trends? ;)

frivolousz21

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS ST LOUIS BLUES
May 17, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
I truely believe they didnt want to lose this league...if NBC say took the NBA..then ABC wouldnt have any weekend sports.

there is no way they will make all there money back...unless the NBA all of a sudden turns it around.

which I doubt..I have friends who have been talking nba draft for a week....who wont watch one full regular season game next year

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
New York Times:

So TV viewership is declining not so much in total, but due to increased segmentation yet the rights to the digital property are worth $7+ billion (or 10 times the value of the old deal)? Here's the spin:

Why doesn't that argument work for the NHL when the league starts getting skewered about diminishing TV ratings??

Because...ESPN does not give a rat's tail about hockey. How can it be any more simple to understand. They could have chosen to carry at least a few hockey games during the season for a real cheap price or could chose to at least SPEAK about it every once in a while on the radio but they don't and it is not about to change anytime soon.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
You are right about the situation being the same as before- ESPN thinks hockey and the NHL is a non-sport that is only worth mentioning if there is a "scandal"- like an on ice Bertuzzi incident or a gambling story. Forget it other than that- if you really think ESPN wants to take hockey seriously any time soon I will be glad to eat my words.

Ditto this sentiment for national sports radio. I know XM has a 24/7 hockey talk channel, but once in a while I'd like to hear NATIONAL sports radio analyze the NHL, like pre-season taking picks on teams to win a cup, or division title races in March, or at the very least, pre-series analysis of all playoff series.

Sometimes I listen to FOX Sports Radio in the afternoon (the Drive on Fox), and the one time I heard them discuss my SJ Sharks was with the whole booing the Canadian anthem misunderstanding in the 06 playoffs. Other than that, sometimes they discuss why people don't watch hockey, but that's it. It's especially worse when idiot "Big" Ben Maller guest co-hosts, as he is a proud hockey hater.

But of course, FSR usually has some discussion of Neckcar err nascar everyday.

Another bad thing is when Skip Bayless guest hosts Jim Rome as he is also a proud hockey hater.

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX

I do, just ask movie theater owners.

Yes, movie theater owners. Who is their bread and butter? Teens. They are the ones who don't care about picture/sound quality or even concession quality. They are lured in by trailers and spend a ton of money there.

Go to many urban areas and check out the movie theater lobbies on Friday nights. You mainly see a flurry of 13-18 year olds.

Look at what they are wearing. In comparing what sports jerseys you see worn, it's mostly basketball.

The faith in the NBA is that faith that this teen crowd will spend money related to the NBA now and in the future, just as they do on Friday night at the local multiplex movie theater.

It's a sad state of affairs, but it would nice to see Bettman fired/killed and someone else come in and try aggressively to market the NHL to this demographic. Forget the 45 year old casual sports fan who is so ignorant they hate hockey even though they never gave it a chance. The NHL needs to market to 13-18 year olds casual sports fans who hopefully by their 20's will be casual NHL fans as opposed to hockey haters.

frivolousz21

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS ST LOUIS BLUES
May 17, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
I do, just ask movie theater owners.

Yes, movie theater owners. Who is their bread and butter? Teens. They are the ones who don't care about picture/sound quality or even concession quality. They are lured in by trailers and spend a ton of money there.

Go to many urban areas and check out the movie theater lobbies on Friday nights. You mainly see a flurry of 13-18 year olds.

Look at what they are wearing. In comparing what sports jerseys you see worn, it's mostly basketball.

The faith in the NBA is that faith that this teen crowd will spend money related to the NBA now and in the future, just as they do on Friday night at the local multiplex movie theater.

It's a sad state of affairs, but it would nice to see Bettman fired/killed and someone else come in and try aggressively to market the NHL to this demographic. Forget the 45 year old casual sports fan who is so ignorant they hate hockey even though they never gave it a chance. The NHL needs to market to 13-18 year olds casual sports fans who hopefully by their 20's will be casual NHL fans as opposed to hockey haters.

the nhl doenst need to market.

the nhl needs the teams to grassroots market in there cities.

in st louis...since Dave Checketts took over..they do tons tons tons of charity events....not suprising the buzz around the blues is 10 times up from last summer. and season tickets are being sold at a much higher rate.

almost everyweek during the season the blues have something big going on.

Fugu

Because...ESPN does not give a rat's tail about hockey. How can it be any more simple to understand. They could have chosen to carry at least a few hockey games during the season for a real cheap price or could chose to at least SPEAK about it every once in a while on the radio but they don't and it is not about to change anytime soon.

You aren't paying attention.

The TV deal alone that will expire next season (6 yr run, I believe) was worth $700+ MM for the entire term

The new deal will garner $7 billion over 8 yrs, or roughly $900 MM per year.

Now... the first deal was for TV only (this would be your ESPN friends on TV et. al.)....

The second deal is for the rights to ALL digital content (iPOD, streaming/Internet, TV, etc., etc., etc....). Digital media rights is the key term here.

Is that simple enough for you to understand?

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
the nhl doenst need to market.

the nhl needs the teams to grassroots market in there cities.

in st louis...since Dave Checketts took over..they do tons tons tons of charity events....not suprising the buzz around the blues is 10 times up from last summer. and season tickets are being sold at a much higher rate.

almost everyweek during the season the blues have something big going on.

It's nice to see the Blues are trying, but they don't have an NBA franchise to compete with. And even if season tickets purchases go up, what about TV ratings?

Also, they have a metro area that is predominantly white. And whether you believe it or not, in the U.S. it is easier to get white people into following the NHL than other minorities.

So while the Blues efforts are great in STL, these things don't work in San Jose for the Sharks who have plenty of season ticket holders, but right now need more TV ratings from its ethnically diverse community (yes I know STL has black people, but Bay Area has a large hispanic and asian community in additional to the typical white/black dichotomy. While hispanics in San Jose take pride in their hometown team, hispanics in other bay area cities don't give a rats a$$ about the Sharks. Asians, including most orientals and indians, also generally ignore hockey, focusing on basketball.)

They need people not only to watch regular season games on TV, but also watch playoff games. It is sad in the Bay Area that NBA playoff games involving non-local teams can draw a higher rating than a Sharks playoff game at the same time.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
You aren't paying attention.

The TV deal alone that will expire next season (6 yr run, I believe) was worth $700+ MM for the entire term

The new deal will garner $7 billion over 8 yrs, or roughly $900 MM per year.

Now... the first deal was for TV only (this would be your ESPN friends on TV et. al.)....

The second deal is for the rights to ALL digital content (iPOD, streaming/Internet, TV, etc., etc., etc....). Digital media rights is the key term here.

Is that simple enough for you to understand?

What is the point of your response- I really don't get it. What does your summation of what the NBA will get with the new tv contract have anthing to do with what I said about ESPN not giving a rat's tail about the NHL- what have I missed?

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
It's nice to see the Blues are trying, but they don't have an NBA franchise to compete with. And even if season tickets purchases go up, what about TV ratings?

Also, they have a metro area that is predominantly white. And whether you believe it or not, in the U.S. it is easier to get white people into following the NHL than other minorities.

So while the Blues efforts are great in STL, these things don't work in San Jose for the Sharks who have plenty of season ticket holders, but right now need more TV ratings from its ethnically diverse community (yes I know STL has black people, but Bay Area has a large hispanic and asian community in additional to the typical white/black dichotomy. While hispanics in San Jose take pride in their hometown team, hispanics in other bay area cities don't give a rats a$$ about the Sharks. Asians, including most orientals and indians, also generally ignore hockey, focusing on basketball.)

They need people not only to watch regular season games on TV, but also watch playoff games. It is sad in the Bay Area that NBA playoff games involving non-local teams can draw a higher rating than a Sharks playoff game at the same time.

Good points. You can do all the grassroots marketing and charity, etc. but for the true bread and butter to grow and keep the sport healthy you need tv ratings, business support from the local communities, and an agressive campaign to attract ALL ages- for sure the teens and youth but just as much the older ones who have more $$ to spend overall.

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Good points. You can do all the grassroots marketing and charity, etc. but for the true bread and butter to grow and keep the sport healthy you need tv ratings, business support from the local communities, and an agressive campaign to attract ALL ages- for sure the teens and youth but just as much the older ones who have more $$ to spend overall.

Maybe the NHL (or its teams) should run ads in movie theaters? I don't mean still ads, but ads designed to show off the sport on the HUGE screen.

Has anyone seen anything like this from the NHL? This makes a lot of sense to me, especially if it is local teams with local ads. Blitz the teens and tweens with ads for the local team, ads that get them excited because the ads are just chock full of highlights and show off the stars of the team (With hip hop played in the background). Make the association between rap songs that get them excited and "wicked wristers," as the NBA routinely does with rap and highlights. This might help plant the seed of the NHL in these kids.

During the seasons teams could run ads that are basically highlights of the previous week from that team. Goals, hits, saves. Along with music, this could get kids excited about the sport. Seeing it on the huge screen as they anxiously wait for the new "Transformers" or Harry Potter movie might be a good thing. Student discounts for tickets also help the cause, as long as they mentioned in these ads.

I hate to sound evil, but perhaps the NHL or its teams should secretly contact movie studios and tobacco companies to see how they market (brainwash, whatever) to the tween/teen crowd. That might help.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->