OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, DC United, Navy, Gtown, etc., 2016-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
7-3 in their L10 and the Wiz currently sit in 5th. John Wall is playing amazing basketball right now. Frankly, I think their starting five is pretty terrific but their bench is atrocious and will be their downfall this year.

Benches aren't that hard to build, honestly. They also have some injuries, so they need to see how the injured returnees perform.

If they could add 2 guys to fill 8 and 9 in the rotation, they could easily win a round (maybe 2, if they miss Cleveland).

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Well, first off, Maryland isn't in the ACC.

Second off, the Big Ten is pretty much on par with anyone, when it comes to coaches, so I don't see it as much of a drop off vs the SEC.

Third off, UMD has Under Armour, which is akin to Oregon and Nike.

And lastly......you wouldn't "just dump" a coach unless you had a commitment from another coach. It happens. Maryland should do it, if they ever want to be relevant in Football.

You brought up Spurrier and UMD being on par with South Carolina. When Spurrier went to South Carolina UMD was in the ACC. Not the same level, not close. Now UMD is in the Big10. Still not SEC level football wise, but close. Still, UMD is considered a basketball school. Another knock in regards to football when compared to South Carolina.

On par with coaching or not the SEC is still King when it comes to football.

The Under Armour relationship UMD has has the potential to be on par with what Nike did for Oregon, but its not there yet. Right now the Under Armour/UMD relationship is just crazy uniform combinations. Nike/Oregon is more than cool uniforms. Its Phil Knight poring huge amounts of money into the facilitates at Oregon. The New Cole Field House could bring UMD up to the same level as other high profile football schools. Being involved in the demo of old Cole its going to be ****ing great. But Kevin Plank has a lot more work to do to get UMD to compete with Nike/Oregon.

Regardless, serious/high profile D1 schools don't fire a HC after 1 year that sees that HC improve over the previous HC with a bowl appearance. That would set a bad precedent. Who would go coach there with the possibility that they get fired after 1 year for the next flavor of the month?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
2 years $54 mil left, plus he gets a 15% bump with a trade.

Interesting that in scoring average Wall is 17th, Beal 18th, Carmelo 19th. Will be interesting to see if someone tries to find him a spot to challenge for a title or if he ends up on a bad team to finish out his career.

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Around 11:30 this morning on 980. Consensus then is he will cost to much and is half the player he used to be. The Wiz don't need him.

Agreed. They need guys who can create their own shot off the bench, and Carmelo isn't going to come off the bench. The offense flows through Wall and I don't see enough basketballs to go around for Wall, Beal, and Melo (and Porter). They also need Mahinmi to get healthy.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ey-lowe-impacted-decision-not-take-final-shot

This seems like a load of crap. Oubre was right in front of him and his line of sight was such that he should've seen what was happening.
Not an NBA fan in the least, but as an impartial observer, the coach is at least twice as close to him as the defender when he catches the ball and is waving his arms around and yelling. Is that typical for an NBA game?

If not, why would he expect that person to be a coach and not a defender? What should his line of sight have been? Looking back up the court and not at the play?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Not an NBA fan in the least, but as an impartial observer, the coach is at least twice as close to him as the defender when he catches the ball and is waving his arms around and yelling. Is that typical for an NBA game?

If not, why would he expect that person to be a coach and not a defender? What should his line of sight have been? Looking back up the court and not at the play?

I don't really understand your questions. You keep track of everyone on the court. His defender is right in front of him (Oubre). The coach is just a few feet away and toward the other side of the court where the play is taking place. Porter is the defender covering someone else on that side and he's in his field of vision, near the ref and the asst. coach.

When he catches the ball he immediately ball fakes Oubre and drives for another kick out pass. There's no hesitation there and his move is specifically for Oubre who is coming out to cover from the paint. If he thought there was a defender right beside him he would've made his first move to free himself from that player, not fake Oubre. Oubre was MUCH farther from him than the assistant coach.

Besides, he had plenty of time to get the shot off. He admits he should've taken it. I think someone told him about the coach afterwards and he went along with it as another excuse for a troubled team.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
I don't really understand your questions. You keep track of everyone on the court. His defender is right in front of him (Oubre). The coach is just a few feet away and toward the other side of the court where the play is taking place. Porter is the defender covering someone else on that side and he's in his field of vision, near the ref and the asst. coach.

When he catches the ball he immediately ball fakes Oubre and drives for another kick out pass. There's no hesitation there and his move is specifically for Oubre who is coming out to cover from the paint. If he thought there was a defender right beside him he would've made his first move to free himself from that player, not fake Oubre. Oubre was MUCH farther from him than the assistant coach.

Besides, he had plenty of time to get the shot off. He admits he should've taken it. I think someone told him about the coach afterwards and he went along with it as another excuse for a troubled team.
Is it typical for an NBA assistant coach to be standing on the court, a couple feet from an offensive player, motioning and yelling?

Maybe he decided the pump fake was the best way to get away from what he thought was a defender to his right as well as Oubre. Given the situation regarding the Knicks, at least from what ESPN shows on its home page, it doesn't sound like it would be crazy to think it was just an excuse made up after the fact, although it does seem like at least one Knick on the court caught it at the time.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Is it typical for an NBA assistant coach to be standing on the court, a couple feet from an offensive player, motioning and yelling?

Maybe he decided the pump fake was the best way to get away from what he thought was a defender to his right as well as Oubre. Given the situation regarding the Knicks, at least from what ESPN shows on its home page, it doesn't sound like it would be crazy to think it was just an excuse made up after the fact, although it does seem like at least one Knick on the court caught it at the time.

I think it happens but it's not something people pay much attention to, imo. The NBA sells seats right up to the out of bounds lines around the court. Players are used to people being around them and very close all the time and lots of people yelling.

I'd like to hear what the wizards have to say about it.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
I think it happens but it's not something people pay much attention to, imo. The NBA sells seats right up to the out of bounds lines around the court. Players are used to people being around them and very close all the time and lots of people yelling.

I'd like to hear what the wizards have to say about it.
I'd wager that a player would react differently to a typical fan yelling from their seat and a guy 4 feet to his right on the arc, but I haven't played since high school, so I can only go by what he said.

I'd be curious to what they (and the NBA) say about it in private vs. what they tell the media.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'd wager that a player would react differently to a typical fan yelling from their seat and a guy 4 feet to his right on the arc, but I haven't played since high school, so I can only go by what he said.

I'd be curious to what they (and the NBA) say about it in private vs. what they tell the media.

Coaches, fans, and other playes on the bench are always right next to the action yelling crap, especially late in the game/half. Watch some youtube highlights.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Coaches, fans, and other playes on the bench are always right next to the action yelling crap, especially late in the game/half. Watch some youtube highlights.
You still haven't answered the question. Right next to the action isn't the same as being on the court, at least in my mind. I just figured you'd have some good examples of Joe 6-Pack hanging out with Lebron in the restricted area. Guess not.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
You still haven't answered the question. Right next to the action isn't the same as being on the court, at least in my mind. I just figured you'd have some good examples of Joe 6-Pack hanging out with Lebron in the restricted area. Guess not.

I have watched a lot of college and pro basketball and seen coaches and players and even fans on the court that far during play. The coach was barely one foot on the floor for like 2 seconds. Overly enthusiastic coaches do that. Fans wandering around the perimeter do that (mostly NBA). Players on the bench will sometimes do it, but usually late and in the corners (or their coach reins them in quickly).

If you want to know if it happens all the time you'd have to look at all the film from all the games to determine that. Not sure what you're after here beyond that and an X and O explanation from a basketball player as to why this Knicks player is full of ****.

Maybe you can call a technical foul there but you're really reaching if you try to claim you think that guy is a defender.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
I have watched a lot of college and pro basketball and seen coaches and players and even fans on the court that far during play. The coach was barely one foot on the floor for like 2 seconds. Overly enthusiastic coaches do that. Fans wandering around the perimeter do that (mostly NBA). Players on the bench will sometimes do it, but usually late and in the corners (or their coach reins them in quickly).

If you want to know if it happens all the time you'd have to look at all the film from all the games to determine that. Not sure what you're after here beyond that and an X and O explanation from a basketball player as to why this Knicks player is full of ****.

Maybe you can call a technical foul there but you're really reaching if you try to claim you think that guy is a defender.
I'm not sure why you're so angry and defensive about this. The guy was clearly more than a foot onto the court (he's further out than Lee is) and there's no way you can sit at your computer and tell for sure if it impacted him or not.

A guy who watches tons of basketball agrees with Lee. From Zach Lowe's "10 things I like and don't like" article on ESPN.

BONUS No. 11: Coaches, get off the damn floor!

I've been railing about this for seven years now. I need some help, people. The rulebook is crystal clear on this: Teams should be assessed a technical whenever a head coach or assistant ventures onto the court beyond prescribed boundaries. Head coaches are allowed to stroll along the sideline toward half court to yell out plays, provided they retreat in a timely fashion. They are not allowed to step five feet onto the court during their meanderings. They are not allowed to randomly be outside the coach's box to scream, clap, flap their wings, or whatever other histrionics they might use to distract opposing players.

Assistants have to stay on the bench, period. They can yelp and clap from their seats when opposing shooters set up shop nearby, but it's sort of embarrassing to watch grown men in expensive suits turn into crazy youth sports parents.

What Sidney Lowe, the Wiz assistant, did Thursday night in the closing moments of Washington's win in New York was blatantly illegal in the moment. He stood on the court right next to a referee who decided to just ignore him. He tricked Courtney Lee into passing up a game-tying triple. That's not even the referee's fault. The NBA long ago decided to punt this rule. Usually, it doesn't matter; Erik Spoelstra does no damage while he ambles up the floor alongside his point guard during a typical half-court possession.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'm not sure why you're so angry and defensive about this. The guy was clearly more than a foot onto the court (he's further out than Lee is) and there's no way you can sit at your computer and tell for sure if it impacted him or not.

A guy who watches tons of basketball agrees with Lee. From Zach Lowe's "10 things I like and don't like" article on ESPN.

Ok, bud. Whatever you say.

Sep 19, 2008
Before CSN switched to Caps they had Wiz game and Wizards fought hard but lost at the buzzer. Good game. But the 4 game streak ends.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Before CSN switched to Caps they had Wiz game and Wizards fought hard but lost at the buzzer. Good game. But the 4 game streak ends.

No reason Gortat shouldn't have been in the game at the end. Love what Brooks is doing but that was a bad decision. Also, I loathe their last second possessions where they spread the floor and let Wall run around the perimeter until he takes a low-percentage contested jump shot. I have no idea why they abandon the offense that gets them clean looks almost every possession at the end of the game but it's maddening.

Beal was pretty bad shooting last night. 4-15 from the field and 0-7 from beyond the arc. His last three games have been pretty awful. Shooting less than 30% from the field and a combined 1-21 from 3. Hopefully his increased minutes aren't breaking him.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
KC Royals Pitcher Yordano Ventura and former Indians IF Andy Marte both killed in separate motor vehicle accidents (possible alcohol relalted to the Ventura accident) in the DR. Too young! RIP

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Terrible. Despite his success this is what I remember YV for the most

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->