OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, DC United, Navy, Gtown, etc., 2016-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Haven't seen crowds like that at a George mason basketball game since 2006. Sold out game vs vcu with both teams with 10-3 records

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Terps Football

They should try and hire Chip Kelly. I know Durkin has only had one year, but come on. Kelly is made for college football, and he'd immediately put UMD on the map.

It would be huge for him too:
Under Armour
Big Ten
Recruiting Hotbed

Seems a perfect set up for him. And for UMD. It may only be a stepping stone for him to another major college HC role, but whatever. Terps need someone to make them relevant. Kelly needs a program to allow himself to be relevant.

Kelly v Meyer
Kelly v Harbaugh

Those would be impressive match ups!

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
They should try and hire Chip Kelly. I know Durkin has only had one year, but come on. Kelly is made for college football, and he'd immediately put UMD on the map.

It would be huge for him too:
Under Armour
Big Ten
Recruiting Hotbed

Seems a perfect set up for him. And for UMD. It may only be a stepping stone for him to another major college HC role, but whatever. Terps need someone to make them relevant. Kelly needs a program to allow himself to be relevant.

Kelly v Meyer
Kelly v Harbaugh

Those would be impressive match ups!

No way they do that, and they shouldn't. Durkin counts Urban Meyer and Jim Harbaugh as former mentors. If UMD **** on Durkin for Kelly then you can count on Meyer and Harbaugh recommending against UMD for any of their coaches in the future. And Kelly would more than likely use UMD as a stepping stone to a better job like Bobby Petrino did with WKU. Not worth it.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
No way they do that, and they shouldn't. Durkin counts Urban Meyer and Jim Harbaugh as former mentors. If UMD **** on Durkin for Kelly then you can count on Meyer and Harbaugh recommending against UMD for any of their coaches in the future. And Kelly would more than likely use UMD as a stepping stone to a better job like Bobby Petrino did with WKU. Not worth it.

I don't buy it. I get not liking Kelly, sure....but firing a guy after one year makes the program a pariah? The hell with wanting a "recommendation" from a Meyer or a Harbaugh......Terps need to HIRE a coach like that.

Kelly fits the bill in a lot ways, warts and all. He's not Mike Leach, for gods sakes. He's more a Steve Spurrier type. Terps could use that, big time.

Slateman

Feb 2, 2016
I don't buy it. I get not liking Kelly, sure....but firing a guy after one year makes the program a pariah? The hell with wanting a "recommendation" from a Meyer or a Harbaugh......Terps need to HIRE a coach like that.

Kelly fits the bill in a lot ways, warts and all. He's not Mike Leach, for gods sakes. He's more a Steve Spurrier type. Terps could use that, big time.

Yea, but Kelly would get a major college program were he to want back in to the college football world.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Yea, but Kelly would get a major college program were he to want back in to the college football world.

Look no further than the Spurrier example. He came back to...South Carolina? They aren't any more big time than Maryland.

In fact, Maryland has a some similarities to Oregon. Medium program in a big conference with a large athletic manufacturer in their back pocket.

I think it'd be a terrific match for Kelly. He'd also bring a contrarian style to the smash mouth Big 10. Which would probably drive his ego (as that's his biggest issue, good and bad).

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I wouldn't touch Chip Kelly. Let him claw his way back...he's a bust at the next level so far.

He was a bust as a GM, not so much as a head coach. He did well ast the Eagles head coach until he was given power over player-personnel decisions. Then he inherited a **** 49ers team and predictably did nothing with them.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Chip Kelly also wouldn't stoop to Maryland. He could get a much higher profile NCAA job if he were to return to the college ranks.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Screw the rest of the NCAAF season, just let Clemson and Alabama play 12 weeks in a row.

Also, AAC teams went 2-5 in bowl games and lost to teams from the Mountain West, Conference USA, and Sun Belt. Will end the season with maybe one Top 25 team (and that team had to go to OT to beat a team that finished 6-7 and was 3-5 in the SEC). Not a major conference.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Screw the rest of the NCAAF season, just let Clemson and Alabama play 12 weeks in a row.

Also, AAC teams went 2-5 in bowl games and lost to teams from the Mountain West, Conference USA, and Sun Belt. Will end the season with maybe one Top 25 team (and that team had to go to OT to beat a team that finished 6-7 and was 3-5 in the SEC). Not a major conference.

The AAC lost four of its coaches before bowl games and had one of it's conference members starting it's 4th string QB in the bowl game. Nice try though.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Durkin had a good recruiting class. Would be a slap in the face to fire him after 1 season.

Exactly. UMD made a commitment to Durkin. You don't just dump a HC, and his staff, in the hopes of landing someone like Kelly.

Also, Kelly is a great offensive mind but he hasn't proven he can build a college program like he would need to do at UMD. Mike Bellotti built the Oregon program Kelly coached.

And comparing South Carolina to UMD doesn't work either. Spurrier went to South Carolina because it was in the SEC (SEC>>>>ACC), Lou Holtz left him something to coach, expectations were low compared to other SEC schools (like Florida) and The OBC could play golf year round.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
O's settle on pre-arb deals with Machado ($11.5M), Britton ($11.4M), Tillman ($10.5M), and Schoop today ($3.5M). Raises of $3-4M each, basically. They're opening up the pocket book just to keep the team together, which is gonna make it harder to get any meaningful upgrades.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The uniforms the Wiz are wearing today are.....interesting. :sarcasm::biglaugh:

7-3 in their L10 and the Wiz currently sit in 5th. John Wall is playing amazing basketball right now. Frankly, I think their starting five is pretty terrific but their bench is atrocious and will be their downfall this year.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
7-3 in their L10 and the Wiz currently sit in 5th. John Wall is playing amazing basketball right now. Frankly, I think their starting five is pretty terrific but their bench is atrocious and will be their downfall this year.

Great to see, they are playing well, but these uniforms....

1tlzbk.jpg

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Exactly. UMD made a commitment to Durkin. You don't just dump a HC, and his staff, in the hopes of landing someone like Kelly.

Also, Kelly is a great offensive mind but he hasn't proven he can build a college program like he would need to do at UMD. Mike Bellotti built the Oregon program Kelly coached.

And comparing South Carolina to UMD doesn't work either. Spurrier went to South Carolina because it was in the SEC (SEC>>>>ACC), Lou Holtz left him something to coach, expectations were low compared to other SEC schools (like Florida) and The OBC could play golf year round.

Well, first off, Maryland isn't in the ACC.

Second off, the Big Ten is pretty much on par with anyone, when it comes to coaches, so I don't see it as much of a drop off vs the SEC.

Third off, UMD has Under Armour, which is akin to Oregon and Nike.

And lastly......you wouldn't "just dump" a coach unless you had a commitment from another coach. It happens. Maryland should do it, if they ever want to be relevant in Football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->