OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, DC United: Version V

Status
Not open for further replies.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Bizarre. Move Zimmermann now that they have a good pitcher under contract for a few years? Just stick with an insane rotation and let Zimmermann walk?

Really surprised at this.

To me this move is about opportunity cost. If you sign Scherzer and trade Zimmermann or Fister for a haul, you are better off than just re-signing Zimmermann and Fister, that is if they are even willing to sign.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
that is if they are even willing to sign.

Yeah this signing makes me think one or both have shown an apparent unwillingness to re-sign. I'd much rather give Zimmermann the same deal they are giving Scherzer also but if Zimmermann doesn't want to re-sign what can you do?

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Hearing #Nats RHP Stephen Strasburg is very much available and both sides believe it is time to move on. #MLB

I know Zimm's been better but I really like Stras...

stanleycaps18

I cheer for laundry
Jul 10, 2003
Chocolate City
washcaps.com
I actually think they can get more for Stras (given the extra year under contract) and, IMO, getting him to Boston for Betts and some other pieces, might be the right move.

Zimm can go after the year and the Nats would get the comp pick, and also the roster flexibility to re-sign Fister, Rendon, Harper etc.

Freakin Rizzo is a genius. I hope GMBM picks his brain someday.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
The current bombardment of Kevin Durant from Wizard's fans to "come home" in 2 years might end up pushing him away when the time comes.

Durant has said in the past that coming to DC to play stresses him out, primarily from ticket demands from friends and family. Now add fan and media pressures from this area 2 years away from his free agency and Durant might say **** it and stay in OKC or sign somewhere else. Like the Lakers.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The current bombardment of Kevin Durant from Wizard's fans to "come home" in 2 years might end up pushing him away when the time comes.

Durant has said in the past that coming to DC to play stresses him out, primarily from ticket demands from friends and family. Now add fan and media pressures from this area 2 years away from his free agency and Durant might say **** it and stay in OKC or sign somewhere else. Like the Lakers.

I agree. I'm getting annoyed with it, I imagine he hates it.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I actually think they can get more for Stras (given the extra year under contract) and, IMO, getting him to Boston for Betts and some other pieces, might be the right move.

Zimm can go after the year and the Nats would get the comp pick, and also the roster flexibility to re-sign Fister, Rendon, Harper etc.

Freakin Rizzo is a genius. I hope GMBM picks his brain someday.

I really hope they don't move Zim or Fister who were arguably their 1 and 2 pitchers last year. IMO that's a downward move bc of what the shake up does to the clubhouse.

Strasburg has more value and IMO lacks true Ace mentality. I doubt his long term upside is that higher than Giolitos at this point. That Boston move would benefit this team hugely.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I agree. I'm getting annoyed with it, I imagine he hates it.

At the end of the game tonight they showed footage of some fan get together at a bar by Verizon before the game. A bunch of Wiz fans sitting around holding face shots of Durant over their faces. Its getting absurd.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

If media pressure stresses him out, he won't sign with the Lakers. No bigger fish bowl in the NBA.

It will end up OKC, or DC.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Yeah this signing makes me think one or both have shown an apparent unwillingness to re-sign. I'd much rather give Zimmermann the same deal they are giving Scherzer also but if Zimmermann doesn't want to re-sign what can you do?

I'm not a huge baseball fan anymore like I was in the 80s and 90s but follow it to an extent.

I hope what you say is the case. I hope the reason they signed Scherzer was b/c their home grown talent didn't want to resign.

Otherwise this is going to hurt the locker room and create resentment IMO.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I'm not a huge baseball fan anymore like I was in the 80s and 90s but follow it to an extent.

I hope what you say is the case. I hope the reason they signed Scherzer was b/c their home grown talent didn't want to resign.

Otherwise this is going to hurt the locker room and create resentment IMO.

They way I look at the Scherzer/JZimm thing is basically they get this year price a legit top pitcher. JZimm's price tag next year will be even higher (as price tags do every year). An interesting question is if JZimm would have even signed Scherzer's deal.

I'd say keep the crazy good starting rotation unless some really good trade offer comes in that helps you short term and near.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
If media pressure stresses him out, he won't sign with the Lakers. No bigger fish bowl in the NBA.

It will end up OKC, or DC.

Friends and family pressures is the main thing with Durant and DC. And now add Fans getting all worked up almost 2 years before he is a FA? Might be to much.

As to LA, I think I read Durant spends time in the offseason in LA working out. He might be more comfortable there then DC for all we know.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think a lot of athletes say stuff like that about tickets and family requests, though. It might be nothing unless there are some unusual quotes about it.

I don't watch many WC games so I don't know what position Durant plays. I assume he's a 2, 3 or 4 in the old parlance. Who would he replace? Pierce? Slot in as a 3 or 4? There's only 1 ball to go around but a trio of Wall, Beal and Durant would be nuts.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I think a lot of athletes say stuff like that about tickets and family requests, though. It might be nothing unless there are some unusual quotes about it.

I don't watch many WC games so I don't know what position Durant plays. I assume he's a 2, 3 or 4 in the old parlance. Who would he replace? Pierce? Slot in as a 3 or 4? There's only 1 ball to go around but a trio of Wall, Beal and Durant would be nuts.

He's played both the 2 and 3 for OKC. He'd definitely be replacing Pierce here, and is more than capable of spelling Beal. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Wittman goes all Don Nelson at times and lines him up at the 4 (if Porter progresses).

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
"Overwhelmed" does not necessarily have a negative connotation. And he'd have team ticket reps handling that for him here.

There was a documentary about Duran done by Jay-Z, I think, and from what I've read (because I haven't seen the documentary) Durant was overwhelmed by the requests and it was clearly not a good thing. Also this from a WaPost article:

When the Thunder made its lone visit to Verizon Center last February, Durant said he hadn’t given much thought about the possibility of playing for the Wizards. He had just forked over five digits to buy 100 tickets and joked that he couldn’t imagine having to make a similar investment 41 times a season. “I love coming here and visiting,†he said back then.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...return-were-going-to-put-it-out-on-the-table/

There is more in that story that suggest he might come home as well. I just think its a bit over the top right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->