OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, DC United: Version V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
It's kind of funny reading the meltdown over Clippard being traded. I guess for these Nats fans, this is one of their first times seeing a beloved player leave, and a lot of them don't realize he was gonna leave next offseason anyway.

Fortunately, I was desensitized to this sort of thing at a young age during the firesale of '04. After watching that year culminate in Bonzai be tossed aside for a pick and some random prospect :)sarcasm:) I can no longer form emotional attachments.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The Wiz, man. Such an easy team to root for.

The locker room and culture have totally changed. There are multiple character guys and veterans guiding things (Nene, Gortat, Pierce, maybe Miller). No Stackhouse goldbrickers or Arenas idiots.

And John Friggin Wall, baby. Maybe the best PG in the league. His game has matured massively from just a speed guy. Now he makes good decisions and can shoot. You rarely see him try to pull that jump-pass crap that used to get him hung up.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
It's kind of funny reading the meltdown over Clippard being traded. I guess for these Nats fans, this is one of their first times seeing a beloved player leave, and a lot of them don't realize he was gonna leave next offseason anyway.

Fortunately, I was desensitized to this sort of thing at a young age during the firesale of '04. After watching that year culminate in Bonzai be tossed aside for a pick and some random prospect :)sarcasm:) I can no longer form emotional attachments.

Wait until they trade Desmond

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The locker room and culture have totally changed. There are multiple character guys and veterans guiding things (Nene, Gortat, Pierce, maybe Miller). No Stackhouse goldbrickers or Arenas idiots.

And John Friggin Wall, baby. Maybe the best PG in the league. His game has matured massively from just a speed guy. Now he makes good decisions and can shoot. You rarely see him try to pull that jump-pass crap that used to get him hung up.

Yup. No more guns in the locker room. Those guys were awful.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Duquette hasn't improved the starting pitching? While he hasn't brought in aces, guys like Chen, Gonzalez, Hammel, and Norris have certainly improved the rotation compared to what he inherited.

There's good reason why Duquette won AL Executive of the Year.

Meh, if your content with a bunch of #3's than sure. Those guys aren't going to get you over the top. The O's long needed an ace and he's still failed to bring one.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

Where are these nats fans melting down?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

Arenas was funny for a while but definitely was a knucklehead.

Bringing up Stackhouse ruined my day. I always hated that guy! Back from his NC days! Never saw a shot he didn't like and bricked it constantly.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Meh, if your content with a bunch of #3's than sure. Those guys aren't going to get you over the top. The O's long needed an ace and he's still failed to bring one.

A bunch of #3s are better than a bunch of #5s. Duquette has been instrumental in turning a perennial bottom feeder into a team that has been over .500 for the past three years and in the playoffs twice. It's leaps and bounds in the right direction.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
A bunch of #3s are better than a bunch of #5s. Duquette has been instrumental in turning a perennial bottom feeder into a team that has been over .500 for the past three years and in the playoffs twice. It's leaps and bounds in the right direction.

Showalter deserves the bulk of the credit from turning the Orioles into contenders. He instilled fundamentals and discipline to a team that has lacked it for years.

Really though; Jones, Markakis, Machado, Tillman, Wieters, Hardy, Davis, Schoop, Hunter, Matusz, Britton, and many more were already here and when Buck arrived the turnaround began.

Duquette found nice bargains, but did little to send this team over the top. Mind you, some of his trades he gave up very good prospects. Hader, part of the Norris trade, was California League Pitcher of the Year. Eduardo Rodriguez was developing nicely and was traded in-division for a reliever for two months.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Arenas was funny for a while but definitely was a knucklehead.

Bringing up Stackhouse ruined my day. I always hated that guy! Back from his NC days! Never saw a shot he didn't like and bricked it constantly.

Have to admit Arenas is still my favorite Bullets player despite the injury/gun thing that sort of ended his career.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@ChrisCotillo: Sources: Increasing sense throughout league that Max Scherzer will end up with #Nationals. Unclear if deal is close.

Huh. Guess they're trading Zimmermann?

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
@ChrisCotillo: Sources: Increasing sense throughout league that Max Scherzer will end up with #Nationals. Unclear if deal is close.

Unless the Lerners decided to play with money this year despite the MASN crappola. Kinda funny to imagine that lineup if they signed him and kept JZ for the season. Stras, JZim, Fister, Gio, Scherzer, lulz.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Ken Rosenthal
@Ken_Rosenthal
Source: Max Scherzer is close to signing a seven-year deal. Between #Nationals and one other club. First reported: @JonHeymanCBS

So if its the Nats, were unloading Zimmerman for...what? Hopefully a consistent hitter who's youngish.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Apparently the Nats are willing to deal Stras if they can't get it done with Zimm.

I've always thought Zimm was the better player, anyways. Stras is certainly overrated and jumpy in big situations. If they could deal him for a big bat and sign Scherzer/Zimm I'd be ecstatic.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Unless the Lerners decided to play with money this year despite the MASN crappola. Kinda funny to imagine that lineup if they signed him and kept JZ for the season. Stras, JZim, Fister, Gio, Scherzer, lulz.

Mark Zuckerman, or maybe it was Thom Loverro, said towards the end of this past season on 980 that whatever the teams salary is now is the highest the Lerner's will go with pay roll regardless of the outcome of the MASN situation. Might have changed since then, but gives an idea of the salary ceiling.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

I do not understand what the Nats are thinking at all. Scherzer is 2 years older than Zimmerman and pretty close in skills. In fact Zimmerman's career numbers are significantly better. Why on earth would you let go of a 28 year old in favor of a 30 year old?

I guess the one caveat is if they get significant value in return for Zimmerman's 1 year rental. (prospects would be the only thing I guess seeing as how they don't to add another huge salary to the team).

I realize Scherzer is incredible and his ceiling is higher than Zimmerman's, but Zimmerman is a rock and does everything the right way. Scherzer turned in a stinker of a season just 3 years ago (4.43 ERA). Zimmerman just seems like he isn't going to do that. The guy is savvy. Reminds me of Greg Maddux. Guys like that don't come around often.

ME NO UNDERSTAND!!!:rant:

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I do not understand what the Nats are thinking at all. Scherzer is 2 years older than Zimmerman and pretty close in skills. In fact Zimmerman's career numbers are significantly better. Why on earth would you let go of a 28 year old in favor of a 30 year old?

I guess the one caveat is if they get significant value in return for Zimmerman's 1 year rental. (prospects would be the only thing I guess seeing as how they don't to add another huge salary to the team).

I realize Scherzer is incredible and his ceiling is higher than Zimmerman's, but Zimmerman is a rock and does everything the right way. Scherzer turned in a stinker of a season just 3 years ago (4.43 ERA). Zimmerman just seems like he isn't going to do that. The guy is savvy. Reminds me of Greg Maddux. Guys like that don't come around often.

ME NO UNDERSTAND!!!:rant:

Let it play out. Obviously Rizzo has been working on a handful of significant deals.

I imagine the thinking is that Zimmerman is leaving for his hometown Milwaukee next year and signing Scherzer and dealing JZ could improve them over the next 3 years. Should they go that route.

Another rumor has the Brew trading for Zimm now if they can't sign Shields. And that team has several bats.

Dirty but Good

but mostly dirty
Jan 26, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Let it play out. Obviously Rizzo has been working on a handful of significant deals.

I imagine the thinking is that Zimmerman is leaving for his hometown Milwaukee next year and signing Scherzer and dealing JZ could improve them over the next 3 years. Should they go that route.

Another rumor has the Brew trading for Zimm now if they can't sign Shields. And that team has several bats.

Brewers fan here (and Flyers fan but ignore that) but this is my thinking right now.

My guess (total speculation) is that the Gallardo deal with the Rangers will be a three-way deal, and the Brewers will send their Rangers haul along with an additional player to the Nats for Zimmermann.

What are the Nats in need of? I've heard middle infield? Brewers have a really nice prospect in Orlando Arcia but I don't see them trading him. It could be likely the Brewers get Rougned Odor from the Rangers since they have Andrus/Profar and even Sardinas to back them up, maybe Odor gets flipped with another piece to the Nats for Zimmermann?

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Brewers fan here (and Flyers fan but ignore that) but this is my thinking right now.

My guess (total speculation) is that the Gallardo deal with the Rangers will be a three-way deal, and the Brewers will send their Rangers haul along with an additional player to the Nats for Zimmermann.

What are the Nats in need of? I've heard middle infield? Brewers have a really nice prospect in Orlando Arcia but I don't see them trading him. It could be likely the Brewers get Rougned Odor from the Rangers since they have Andrus/Profar and even Sardinas to back them up, maybe Odor gets flipped with another piece to the Nats for Zimmermann?

I'd say we need anything down the middle. CF, SS/2B, or Catcher are all kinda things that are high on my list. Preferably ones that, if they don't now at least potential, have the ability to hit consistently.

Dirty but Good

but mostly dirty
Jan 26, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
I'd say we need anything down the middle. CF, SS/2B, or Catcher are all kinda things that are high on my list. Preferably ones that, if they don't now at least potential, have the ability to hit consistently.

Brewers have pretty good outfield depth, Parra would be the most likely piece that would be moved, have Tyrone Taylor in the minors but he's our top prospect (sadly) but could possibly be moved.

Up the middle their's Arcia in the minors or Sardinas/Odor who we'd (allegedly) get from the Rangers in the Gallardo deal, I wouldn't want us moving Arcia though, too much upside as of late, fully expected to be able to stick at shortstop in the majors and he has been adding power, hit 7 HRs in winter ball.

We have Maldonado at catcher that could be moved although I'd be opposed to it. Looking at his stats you'd say no way to him but he's a much better defensive catcher than Lucroy is and he could definitely produce for a catcher if given a full season of playing time, he really knows how to play the game.

Also losing Clippard and Soriano, a few high end relievers (but not closers) would be nice.

Yea Brewers are looking for a bullpen arm right now too so I doubt it, but we are spending a ton of money on Broxton for this year so if the right deal would take him off our books he's in play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad